The Chemical Brothers 2019

FloorFiller

10 hours ago, robillustrates said:

Which of their performances over the years was your favourite.

2011 is the only one I've done in person and watching 2007 made me want to try Glastonbury in the first place before my first festival in 2009. Could have done 2015 but was feeling so rough I barely left my camp that day and wasn't there this year either.

2011 probably for the set list, just bangers all way from start. I think Saturday visually though was on another level to anything ever screen though.

They were having a great time on stage, I've never seen them jumping around so much. 

2015 they played Sunshine Underground and it was Sunday and I was all emotional, but this year was a lot of fun and they've got great tunes from the new album to replace some of the old staples. 

Always a pleasure whenever I've seen them over the last 25 years. 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

3.20 on. You can clearly see Ed hitting the effects pad thing with his finger and a stick. It’s the quite trebly drum pattern you can hear coming over the top.

i think an example of what Tom does on the fly would be when they playing setting sun, they never play the full vocal, but there’s a harsh sample of ‘you’re the devil’ that he’s looping and distorting over the top and building up.

Yeah that's the clip i mentioned earlier.

A good breakdown of the Chems live rig / methods here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/matt-cox-midi-tech-chemical-brothers

As said in the article, they are essentially DJ'ing their tunes and adding various live elements over the top from the synths and other sound sources, while mixing live with FX etc. 

The youtube clip below shows a more recent tour of their rig, and from looking at this I would say the setup has evolved a bit since the SoS article, and they have introduced more live midi/audio clip launching to make the show a bit more dynamic.

• Upvote 1

I absolutely, utterly loved this set. For once the Other Stage sound wasn't crap, and from where I was standing (right on the edge as I don't go into crowds) the visuals were epic and (miraculously) only slightly encumbered by flagw*nkers.

Felt like 10 mins to me; The time flew by. Set of the weekend easily and already re-watched it three times.

Way better than their 2015 set for me (definitely helped by having mates who were loving it, unlike in 2015 when I went with a mate who was like "yeah I know Hey Boy Hey Girl" and basically refused to dance somehow).

Was in the SE corner afterwards and just kept on smiling thinking about it.

Edited by aidenlangan95

This one didn't click with me like I was expecting. Maybe it was the somewhat wishy washy crowd around me. Maybe it was the obvious omission of a lot of great songs. Maybe it was the complete lack of serotonin left in my body. Maybe it was my stupidly high expectations. It just didn't do it for me like their 2015 set did, which is a shame because I know it was both visually and musically incredible and everybody I was with was blown away by the end.

Saying that, it fucking flew by. When they played Block Rockin' Beats and I realised it was the end of their set I was in shock. I knew they'd played all the songs in their usual set, but it felt like they'd somehow squeezed them all in to fifteen minutes.

32 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Felt like 10 mins to me; The time flew by. Set of the weekend easily and already re-watched it three times.

Way better than their 2015 set for me (definitely helped by having mates who were loving it, unlike in 2015 when I went with a mate who was like "yeah I know Hey Boy Hey Girl" and basically refused to dance somehow).

Was in the SE corner afterwards and just kept on smiling thinking about it.

I always feel like their sets fly by!

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

This one didn't click with me like I was expecting. Maybe it was the somewhat wishy washy crowd around me. Maybe it was the obvious omission of a lot of great songs. Maybe it was the complete lack of serotonin left in my body. Maybe it was my stupidly high expectations. It just didn't do it for me like their 2015 set did, which is a shame because I know it was both visually and musically incredible and everybody I was with was blown away by the end.

Saying that, it fucking flew by. When they played Block Rockin' Beats and I realised it was the end of their set I was in shock. I knew they'd played all the songs in their usual set, but it felt like they'd somehow squeezed them all in to fifteen minutes.

Yeah my feelings pretty much. The second hald dragged for me, too many of their top tunes omitted. Especially considering this was Glastonbury and not their own gig.

Edited by ericlered

I loved it. I’d hyped it a lot and I’d saved myself for it. Our whole group came together for it. My son was pogoing for the first hour. We were in a great spot, middle back, no w*nkers. I had a few dark moments in the festival but this was the brightest time for me. Happy ? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

Seen them a load of times and this one was similar. Stayed for a bit. Enjoyed it, great visuals but kind of done with it after 3 or 4 tunes.

That's probably what I should have done and headed back to Hot Chip as I found it underwhelming. 

It didnt blow me away because I knew what it would be. A great time with great visuals.

I expected exactly what I got. I have seen them on that stage 3 times this decade & thats my 9th time seeing them in total, so I have had my run with them at Glastonbury. 

However, I am pleased that I spent last Saturday there. I had a great time.

9 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I felt pretty much the same. I enjoyed it, but I didn’t love it. I hadn’t seen them since 2011, so had been expecting a transcendental experience, but I came away feeling a little disappointed. Maybe I had built it up too much? Maybe it was the shite sound where we were? (It was really quiet) Maybe it was the large amount of class A’s whizzing round my brain? Probably a combination tbh.  

16 hours ago, gigpusher said:

That's probably what I should have done and headed back to Hot Chip as I found it underwhelming. 

Yeah me too, if we had gone on to The Killers after Hey Boy, Hey Girl it would have been a much better night for us. Though I suppose we did have an easy exit to Arcadia afterwards.