The Chemical Brothers 2019

FloorFiller

Such a phenomenal show as always. But yes, the crowd ruined it for us. Tried moving a couple of times before giving up and standing at the back centre (where the sound was better anyway). So many people on coke and throwing themselves around, yelling over the music about motorbike engines, and one guy even decided to just pee where he was stood. “Hell is other people.”

Ultimately, not my scene, but I’ll try to catch them on tour sometime. We ended up at Hot Chip and had a much happier, fun, uplifting experience!

1 hour ago, Vidsidasta said:

Such a phenomenal show as always. But yes, the crowd ruined it for us. Tried moving a couple of times before giving up and standing at the back centre (where the sound was better anyway). So many people on coke and throwing themselves around, yelling over the music about motorbike engines, and one guy even decided to just pee where he was stood. “Hell is other people.”

Ultimately, not my scene, but I’ll try to catch them on tour sometime. We ended up at Hot Chip and had a much happier, fun, uplifting experience!

Sounds like a shit outtake from Mad Max Fury Road

Come in peace.... genuine question.... for someone in the know.

what are they doing at the controls?They’re very busy, but I don’t get how much of it is “live”.

do they just turn nobs because they feel they should? Where is the pre-recorded / live line with a show like this.

Don’t get me wrong , I’d be as happy as the next guy to get completlry bollocksed and enjoy the show for a couple of hours... but I don’t get how it works 

2 hours ago, man next door said:

Come in peace.... genuine question.... for someone in the know.

what are they doing at the controls?They’re very busy, but I don’t get how much of it is “live”.

do they just turn nobs because they feel they should? Where is the pre-recorded / live line with a show like this.

Don’t get me wrong , I’d be as happy as the next guy to get completlry bollocksed and enjoy the show for a couple of hours... but I don’t get how it works 

As someone who produces and plays Electronica live, all I can tell you is what I do.

I don't actually play anything live but I do tend to mess around with certain synths (eq, delay and more) which is what you hear live.

Most obvious from Chems is their Snare build ups, you can hear them sweep them live. 

1 hour ago, WS_Jack_III said:

As someone who produces and plays Electronica live, all I can tell you is what I do.

I don't actually play anything live but I do tend to mess around with certain synths (eq, delay and more) which is what you hear live.

Most obvious from Chems is their Snare build ups, you can hear them sweep them live. 

They usually just put a donk on it. 

2 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Cheers 

2 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

From what I've read before, isn't one of them doing this with the music etc and the other solely does the visuals?

3 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

From what I've read before, isn't one of them doing this with the music etc and the other solely does the visuals?

There is a third member who does the visuals - Adam Smith . He actually stood in for Ed in 2015 while he was doing degree of some sort I think. 

There were some wonderful moments, particularly No Geography and Wide Open, the latter of which was surprisingly affecting.

But far too much drawing things out, my main impression of the gig is epitomised by the following:

"Hey Girl, Hey Boy, Superstar DJ, here we go" *chemical brothers don't go*

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Which of their performances over the years was your favourite.

2011 is the only one I've done in person and watching 2007 made me want to try Glastonbury in the first place before my first festival in 2009. Could have done 2015 but was feeling so rough I barely left my camp that day and wasn't there this year either.

9 hours ago, robillustrates said:

Which of their performances over the years was your favourite.

2011 is the only one I've done in person and watching 2007 made me want to try Glastonbury in the first place before my first festival in 2009. Could have done 2015 but was feeling so rough I barely left my camp that day and wasn't there this year either.

2011 might be top one but every member of my group went to watch them so it just added to it.

re what do they do on stage.

As I've said, I can't exactly tell you what Chems do but I know a little more about Orbital, you'd have to imagine it's similar. 

With Orbital, Paul normally triggers loops/clips with Phil manning the mixing desk (messing around with effects).

There is a clip of Chems playing Out of Control in 07, Ed is at the back of the stage doing some sort of drum pattern on a pad.

This is why Disclosure have made their set up really crazy, they didn't want people questioning the legitimacy of their show, they have huge pads that trigger samples and they hit them with drum sticks. It's a little OTT but you can understand why they do it.

Brilliant! Fab as always and a discernible difference in set (I think...) from when I saw them a couple of times last year.

There were a few annoying people in the crowd, we are quite laid back but my fella asked someone to quiet down a bit when they were having a really long and loud conversation about the best places to camp and "when you've been four or five times, you just figure it out" ? 

They didn't so we just moved a bit, crowd got better the longer through the set you got

Edited by Laurenkfj

36 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

2011 might be top one but every member of my group went to watch them so it just added to it.

re what do they do on stage.

As I've said, I can't exactly tell you what Chems do but I know a little more about Orbital, you'd have to imagine it's similar. 

With Orbital, Paul normally triggers loops/clips with Phil manning the mixing desk (messing around with effects).

There is a clip of Chems playing Out of Control in 07, Ed is at the back of the stage doing some sort of drum pattern on a pad.

This is why Disclosure have made their set up really crazy, they didn't want people questioning the legitimacy of their show, they have huge pads that trigger samples and they hit them with drum sticks. It's a little OTT but you can understand why they do it.

I read on here that Ed generally holds the whole thing together while Tom gets samples, etc distorts, etc them and fires them out over the top.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was busier at the start than previous years. Found myself in a space unable to move much and wanted to dance so we headed out to the edge. Rest of our crew thought we had make a mistake but when the choons come on later we had loads of room to bust some shapes.

Disappointed some of the visuals were the same and also the robots.

Also noticed people leaving early doors. 

So in order 2015, 2011 and 2019 but still had a great time and had our own little glow stick crew and we shared the glow sick love out.

3.20 on. You can clearly see Ed hitting the effects pad thing with his finger and a stick. It’s the quite trebly drum pattern you can hear coming over the top.

i think an example of what Tom does on the fly would be when they playing setting sun, they never play the full vocal, but there’s a harsh sample of ‘you’re the devil’ that he’s looping and distorting over the top and building up.