The Chemical Brothers 2019

FloorFiller

Just now, Sasperella said:

He does basically hate everything so I figured it best to get a second opinion

Although now my Jopkins/Chems problem is back on

You can't make a bad choice here. Whoever we all see, Glastonbury is going to be bouncing on the Saturday night! 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Controversially, I asked my friend last night about the Jopkins/Chems/HC dilemma and he said:

"I've seen Chems on the other before. Not hard enough, and not loud enough"

"Hot Chip are boring"

"I think this is therefore obvious"

Now, he does have a pretty questionable/deliberately controversial music taste at the best of times, so I'm ignoring the Hot Chip thing straight off. Does he have a point about the not loud enough thing though....? 

Not really.

Never got into Jon Hopkins. Love the Chems and Hot Chip for the vocals as well as the beats and visuals. Am I missing out on Jopkins as he is pretty popular on here (may see him at APE or if he doesn’t clash in the end?)

17 minutes ago, DJL said:

Never got into Jon Hopkins. Love the Chems and Hot Chip for the vocals as well as the beats and visuals. Am I missing out on Jopkins as he is pretty popular on here (may see him at APE or if he doesn’t clash in the end?)

For me hopkins is a bit too light and floaty. All the tunes I like of his have been remixed better by someone else.

Open Eye Signal (george fitzgerald's version)

Singularity (Anna's version)

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Am I correct in thinking that someone opting for Jon Hopkins over ‘boring’ Hot Chip and ‘not hard/loud enough’ Chem Bros is about to be hoist by their own petard?

haha

1 hour ago, DJL said:

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

For me hopkins is a bit too light and floaty. All the tunes I like of his have been remixed better by someone else.

I'm in a similar boat.  Admittedly I've never really *tried* to get into his stuff, but then nothing I've heard has really encouraged me to do so.  I watched the 6 music gig and I'm sure, in the right frame of mind, I'd enjoy it, but I'd never choose that over the potential Saturday night alternatives.

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Fuzz, you have to be kidding! No, he’s not about whomping bangers, and yes he can do some ethereal, and yes, some of the remixes are amazing. But when he lets it go playing live, it’s pure, stomping techno IDM at its very, very finest!!! 

Ben

23 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Hot Chip were the Friday

Ah geddon, yeah that makes sense, remember Florence doing the headline switcharoo for the Foos, hence heading to see HC instead. They were wicked, but not a patch on the Chems on Sunday, that was next level, especially considering our energy/enthusiasm was a tad low at that point. Saturday night is so better suited. Gave No Geography it's first spin yesterday and my hairs were standing on end just thinking about what's in store. Best dog walk everrrrrrrrrr....

42 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Fuzz, you have to be kidding! No, he’s not about whomping bangers, and yes he can do some ethereal, and yes, some of the remixes are amazing. But when he lets it go playing live, it’s pure, stomping techno IDM at its very, very finest!!! 

Ben

I have heard 2 albums which I couldnt really get into. Just bits of them suited my taste.

The only set I have seen online was a bit too "dreamy" for me. I'll check some more out to see if it floats my boat.

Who am I kidding, it's Chems. I've tried to see Jon Hopkins three times at Glastonbury now and for various reasons (too empty, too busy, too tired) it's never worked out. HC I saw the other week and whilst it'll be great, it will be pretty similar.

Never seen the Chems somehow and they're guaranteed to be brilliant.

12 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Am I correct in thinking that someone opting for Jon Hopkins over ‘boring’ Hot Chip and ‘not hard/loud enough’ Chem Bros is about to be hoist by their own petard?

That seems unlikely - wouldn't he have to be aware of it to be "hoisted"? Not only is he not on efestivals (despite actually being the one to introduce me to it, he gave it up about a year ago in favour of DIS and some train forum) so will never read these posts, he also decided to give back his glasto ticket in favour of Boomtown. Regardless, I suspect that given his love of music that everyone else hates, he'd probably quite enjoy being disagreed with anyway.

I'm still pretty torn. Jopkins/Chems/HC were three of my five must sees from the line-up :(  I'm just gonna hope that there's been some miscalculations regarding clashterfuck. Otherwise it will come down to what the non-Killers-loving members of my glasto crew decide to opt for. I have a feeling it's gonna end up being Chems…. Which I guess is at least guaranteed to be a belter, and Jopkins (maybe?) can be a little bit more hit and miss (although, feel free to disagree on that point @bennyhana22)

11 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

That seems unlikely - wouldn't he have to be aware of it to be "hoisted"? Not only is he not on efestivals (despite actually being the one to introduce me to it, he gave it up about a year ago in favour of DIS and some train forum) so will never read these posts, he also decided to give back his glasto ticket in favour of Boomtown. Regardless, I suspect that given his love of music that everyone else hates, he'd probably quite enjoy being disagreed with anyway.

I'm still pretty torn. Jopkins/Chems/HC were three of my five must sees from the line-up :(  I'm just gonna hope that there's been some miscalculations regarding clashterfuck. Otherwise it will come down to what the non-Killers-loving members of my glasto crew decide to opt for. I have a feeling it's gonna end up being Chems…. Which I guess is at least guaranteed to be a belter, and Jopkins (maybe?) can be a little bit more hit and miss (although, feel free to disagree on that point @bennyhana22)

Not in disagreement per se, Sas. All I can say is that I saw him a month ago and he was truly phenomenal. It was, quite frankly, a euphoric rave!

The way that he puts together the setlist for the Singularity shoes at the moment is every shade of breathtaking for me...

??

Ben

9 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Not in disagreement per se, Sas. All I can say is that I saw him a month ago and he was truly phenomenal. It was, quite frankly, a euphoric rave!

The way that he puts together the setlist for the Singularity shoes at the moment is every shade of breathtaking for me...

??

Ben

Have you ever seen him do a "bad" set? (defining bad in the loosest possible terms there, obviously!)

Jopkins for me. Seen HC a few times, always a great party but i fancy the thrill of the new. Chems will be superb for the crowd, but having listened to the new album again, it’s all a bit by the numbers. Safe, dependable, reliable, but I want something a bit different. Can’t see anyone regretting their choice given those three, though. All good