Crates and Cans

Obiginnaw

Hiya everyone , First Glasto this year and having been to Reading multiple times and a couple of other festivals, I was wondering if there is any place nearby to buy beer from, like they have with the Tesco about a mile away? We're going by coach and with everything else we usually carry, a crate on top of that is just more hassle than it's worth. Is it worth getting a taxi from just outside into town once we've all set up? I know it is extremely unlikely, I'm just not sure I want to deal with spirits at 8am in the morning (Though no doubt I'll give it a good go). And in the eventuality, what's the earliest you can get a pint? 

Cheers! Exactly 11 weeks from now I hope to be very dishevelled...

11 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

Hiya everyone , First Glasto this year and having been to Reading multiple times and a couple of other festivals, I was wondering if there is any place nearby to buy beer from, like they have with the Tesco about a mile away? We're going by coach and with everything else we usually carry, a crate on top of that is just more hassle than it's worth. Is it worth getting a taxi from just outside into town once we've all set up? I know it is extremely unlikely, I'm just not sure I want to deal with spirits at 8am in the morning (Though no doubt I'll give it a good go). And in the eventuality, what's the earliest you can get a pint? 

Cheers! Exactly 11 weeks from now I hope to be very dishevelled...

There will be a Coop supermarket on site this year so this will reduce the need to waste valuable festival time. It may be a little more expensive than Tesco but the cost will be offset by not needing a taxi. 

I have never noticed what time the bars open, but I am sure someone will be able to answer that. :)

2 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

There will be a Coop supermarket on site this year so this will reduce the need to waste valuable festival time. It may be a little more expensive than Tesco but the cost will be offset by not needing a taxi. 

I have never noticed what time the bars open, but I am sure someone will be able to answer that. :)

wonderful stuff much appreciated! that's made the organisation a lot smoother ☺️

11 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

There will be an on site co-op, not sure on the prices but they are meant to be doing cans.

Some people get the bus into town, not sure how long that will take. 

As it been confirmed they're doing cans? Press release 2 weeks ago states it's a pop-up shop selling food, drink and other consumables. We need to watch this space as drink does not necessarily mean of the alcoholic type.  ?

Edited by Lycra

14 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

There will be an on site co-op, not sure on the prices but they are meant to be doing cans.

Some people get the bus into town, not sure how long that will take. 

I've done it once when coming on the coach. Emptied my backpack then filled it with cider and came back. Its probably a 2 hour ish round trip. The bus both ways only runs once an hour so you have to wait for it to come back. I haven't had to do it since as I've bribed people to bring beer for me but my mates still do it!

If co-op sell cans it'll be a game changer though!

53 minutes ago, Becks12 said:

I've done it once when coming on the coach. Emptied my backpack then filled it with cider and came back. Its probably a 2 hour ish round trip. The bus both ways only runs once an hour so you have to wait for it to come back. I haven't had to do it since as I've bribed people to bring beer for me but my mates still do it!

If co-op sell cans it'll be a game changer though!

By the time you get cans from Tesco at Reading and back it’s the best part of 2 hours so that’s definitely a viable option, but I agree co-op would make life a whole lot easier

We used to drive through the night, stop at the 24 hour Tesco in Glastonbury and fill up the car with crates before heading for the queue... but in 2017 we discovered the Tesco was no longer 24hrs....

Then we had a fun (not fun) road trip to Western Super-Mare to the nearest 24hour ASDA. Took ages. /would not recommend. 

On 4/11/2019 at 11:40 AM, Obiginnaw said:

By the time you get cans from Tesco at Reading and back it’s the best part of 2 hours so that’s definitely a viable option, but I agree co-op would make life a whole lot easier

These days it probably does take 2 hours. Back in the day though there used to be a shortcut through orange camp, used to take 30mins max! Tesco must have lost £millions every festival since they closed the shortcut. 

8 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

These days it probably does take 2 hours. Back in the day though there used to be a shortcut through orange camp, used to take 30mins max! Tesco must have lost £millions every festival since they closed the shortcut. 

Yeah still unsure why they did that, we camp in Red so it’s not a noticeable time distance walking there compared , but there’s also a LIDL I think somewhere that’s taken a lot of business away as well 

I remember doing a booze run to Tesco in 2016, can't say the staff were particularly happy to see us, though that may have had something to do with us dragging the festival mud down all the aisles.

Think buses run every hour, but saw some huge queues at the bus stop heading back in to the festival ,so if you're not in at the right time you could end up having to wait another hour for the next bus.

Occasionally randoms will stop at the bus stop en route to the festival offering lifts, so you can get lucky.

I hope the co-op will sell cans but really can’t see it tbh mallets and Tuborg will be paying a decent price I’d say to supply there product to the festival and then to have Co-op selling crates of Heineken etc can’t see it personally & I can’t say I’ve even seen tuborg in a can. I paid £15 for three cans of thatchers at the rum shack in 2017 so Co-op be making a killing if there allowed to sell cans but I honestly can’t see that happening... I hope I’m wrong thou