Dealing with FOMO at Glastonbury

Wallace

Will be going to my 5th festival this year, always go with my wife and a few of her friends. They tend to stay around the more mainstream areas for most of the weekend and I find myself missing out on all the quirky things I read about on this forum.

I try to steer them towards the more left-field areas but it's always a hard sell and I find myself missing out on a lot.

39 minutes ago, WallaceHigh said:

Will be going to my 5th festival this year, always go with my wife and a few of her friends. They tend to stay around the more mainstream areas for most of the weekend and I find myself missing out on all the quirky things I read about on this forum.

I try to steer them towards the more left-field areas but it's always a hard sell and I find myself missing out on a lot.

Perhaps you could go your own way for a few hours each day? My husband and I regularly go our own way if we want to see different acts. Perhaps you could take photos to share with them to show what they are missing by not exploring more. Also spend all of Wednesday and Thursday doing just that. :)

Have confidence in yourself to wander off for a few hours (or even more) each day to experience what you want. You can't live your life through doing what others want.....Found this out the hard way! And yes it did cause regrets.

If you do, your tales of delights and wonderful experiences my tempt your wife and her friends to explore too. And you may find a new friend or two along the way too.

Edited by Lycra

It's one of the reasons I like that it's just my husband and I. We meet up with lots of friends on the Wednesday and Thursday but I wouldn't want to be trying to keep people happy. I tell my husband the things I want to see and we are happy to split up if we want to do different stuff. We have fairly similar taste so it doesn't happen often. 

• Upvote 1

Just echoing the comments above; leave your wife to wander the site for a few hours. Use the Wednesday and Thursday to get about; you won't regret it. 

I spent a couple of hours away from my group in '17, just to have some free time to not have something "scheduled". 

Just go for it and enjoy.

last year just myself and my friend went and we both probably found it the best festival we had been to out  of 13  .. for most bands we went together but we were more liberated and inclined to do things separately at times without having someone else in tow ... just simple things like stopping for a piss become a pain for others but lots easier when wandering on your own .. and stopping to watch something you enjoy you dont have to seek the "approval " of a group of people .. you can just do it .... mixed with seeing some of the big hitters at the main stages ... we have set places to meet at main stages so no problems with getting there at the allotted times