The smaller acts and a thank you to those who recommend them

gigpusher

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

My Baby.

Crap name, but excellent. No idea if they're playing but a decent chance I reckon. They have a show in Hollands on the Saturday, other days are free.

Saw these at Boomtown last year. They were great. A tume that started with the Haka, some excelent guitar work.

Recommended!

My Baby are soooo much better live than on record.  The album just doesn't capture what makes the live shows special at all.  Would be proper happy to see them again. One of my finds at BDs along with Holy Moly & the Crackers

Edited by Quark

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

My Baby.

Crap name, but excellent. No idea if they're playing but a decent chance I reckon. They have a show in Hollands on the Saturday, other days are free.

I caught the tail end of a set in 2017 which impressed me so I made a point of catching them at WOMAD last year; they are excellent live - recommended. 

6 minutes ago, alanr said:

One of my favourite  is John Fairhurst. I've seen him on several occasions on stages ranging from Small World in the green fields up to The Glade.

Hope he's around this year

Alan

He's got a new album due out, this week I think, so highly likely - hopefully.

I caught these guys at CN bandstand in 2017 and really enjoyed them. Super funny and talented.

https://www.bowjangles.org/upcoming-gigs

They will play Theatre and Circus and CN Bandstand again. I don't think they have been added to the rumours/lineup page.

Edited by Calvin Klein

46 minutes ago, alanr said:

One of my favourite  is John Fairhurst. I've seen him on several occasions on stages ranging from Small World in the green fields up to The Glade.

Hope he's around this year

Alan

I think, THINK, it was John Fairhust I saw on Small World one year, maybe 2013.  The standout thing from that set, if it was him, was an old dude who looked like Dickie Attenborough in Miracle on 34th St edging his way through the crowd to the side of the stage and having a word with the stage crew.  Next thing he's appeared on the stage by the spare mike stand, and proceeded to pull a harmonica out of his pocket and join in, absolutely smashed it.

Hadn't thought about that in years, but it was bloody amazing! :D

2 hours ago, Quark said:

My Baby are soooo much better live than on record.  The album just doesn't capture what makes the live shows special at all.  Would be proper happy to see them again. One of my finds at BDs along with Holy Moly & the Crackers

Agreed, saw them support Seasick Steve a couple of years ago and it was a fantastic set, off the back of that I bought both albums they had out at the time (really lovely band when chatting to them). Think I've listened to it once or twice as just not as good which is a shame

16 hours ago, LostHorizon said:

Around 3 months ago somebody posted a link to Showhawk Duo. If it wasn’t for this forum, I still wouldn’t know who they are.

Fast forward to now and I’ve got a gang of 10 heading to see them this Friday in Dublin.

Thanks guys! ?????

That's what I'm talking about. This is keeping talented people making a living out of doing what they love. There were 3 people at the Showhawk Duo gig this time because of me and the last 2 times The Lounge Kittens have played I've convinced 7 other people to come along. They've bought music and t-shirts and knowing that this means they can keep going makes me really happy. Also, from a punter point of view it's excellent value for a night out. Grant Sharkey support act for The Lounge Kittens was also great and tickets only cost £11. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Quark said:

That's the set we wandered into right at the end.  Question - would it have made more sense (and I use that loosely) if we'd been there from the start and got into it properly?

Apologies for the late reply. Given the completely hatstand nature of the performance I think you would have needed to see it from the start. I can imagine the bemusement that anyone just wandering into it would have felt. I'm hoping for a decent thursday night slot, I think it could be a very wacky way to kick the music off,

It's always interesting to see bands really early in their career as a support act or really early at a tiny festival, then a coue of years later find everyone talking about them. Amazons, Sports Team, Girl Ray, Snow Patrol (!), all bands I saw in one of those situations and now either big names or being talked about. 

If you go to a gig, support the support!!

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's always interesting to see bands really early in their career as a support act or really early at a tiny festival, then a coue of years later find everyone talking about them. Amazons, Sports Team, Girl Ray, Snow Patrol (!), all bands I saw in one of those situations and now either big names or being talked about. 

If you go to a gig, support the support!!

Yes absolutely whenever I can I try to get there for the support. Only times I haven't gone to support have been when my dogs were puppies and we were leaving them for the first few times and needed to have shorter outings. 

Thanks for all the recommendations of new acts to look up. I like to check if they are playing locally as well. Supporting local venues is very important. Too many closing down. 

54 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes absolutely whenever I can I try to get there for the support. Only times I haven't gone to support have been when my dogs were puppies and we were leaving them for the first few times and needed to have shorter outings. 

Thanks for all the recommendations of new acts to look up. I like to check if they are playing locally as well. Supporting local venues is very important. Too many closing down. 

Ah now, if you're after new / smaller acts in general as well as just what's on the poster, I can probably chuck quite a few more in!!

11 hours ago, gigpusher said:

That's what I'm talking about. This is keeping talented people making a living out of doing what they love. There were 3 people at the Showhawk Duo gig this time because of me and the last 2 times The Lounge Kittens have played I've convinced 7 other people to come along. They've bought music and t-shirts and knowing that this means they can keep going makes me really happy. Also, from a punter point of view it's excellent value for a night out. Grant Sharkey support act for The Lounge Kittens was also great and tickets only cost £11. 

Yep. I went to see She Drew the Gun supported by Man and the Echo - two bands I discovered at Glasto who I now love (particularly M&theE) . The princely sum of £9 for the two. Being able to tweet the band and get a reply as to what time they are on stage is a bonus too! They even contacted me the next day to adjust it! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Googles “The Lounge Kittens”...

Rhythm of the 90s were a recommendation from 2017's line up and I've seen them three times since! 

Had some brilliant introductions to bands who aren't 'big' from this forum: GOAT Girl, Confidence Man, Parquet Courts, Soccer Mommy and loads more. 

Thanks!

Saw Slow Readers Club tonight, brilliant live band. They definitely work better in a bit of darkness, JP would be perfect for them. Quite Editors / White Lies-esque, Aaron's got a fantastic voice. Would definitely recommend them. Support band called Bridges were pretty good too :)