The smaller acts and a thank you to those who recommend them

gigpusher

I know we spend a lot of time arguing about headliners and the big acts but the magic of this place for me is the small acts that I've been introduced to because of people on this forum. I think it was in 2013 that I stumbled across a thread about the smaller acts that people wanted to see and someone mentioned The Lounge Kittens. I did a search for them and liked what I heard so I went to see them. They were even better live and so ever since I've gone to see them at Gastonbury, gone to see them on tour, bought their music and merch. I went to see them la couple of weeks ago and they were as always fantastic but they've had a really tough time of it in the past year. Being a jobbing musician who isn't in the mainstream can be a tough gig and I'm happy and proud to have introduced other people to them over the years which hopefully makes it easier for them to make a living. 

Likewise, went to see The Showhawk Duo the other night and they seem to be going from strength to strength. 

So I'd like everyone to give a shout out to the smaller acts who will be playing who are the grass roots of our music industry. The ones who need our support far more than any of the headliners and can provide the magic moments of our Glastonbury. 

I'll give a shout out to one who will hopefully be playing. They've been shortlisted in the Emerging Talent Competition which usually means they should get a gig somewhere on the farm. They are Liines. They have a bit of a Joy Division vibe for me but play with great energy. I've seen them twice. They've been supporting Sleaford Mods on tour at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I was actually looking to see if there's any news if the show hawk duo will be returning this year about an hour ago :) ... nothing on their fb page ... I too discovered them thanks to this forum ... so thanks :) 

I couldn't wait around after the gig the other night to ask them but I'm hoping that they will be there. I'd love if they played over the weekend because I couldn't get near William's Green last time. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

I couldn't wait around after the gig the other night to ask them but I'm hoping that they will be there. I'd love if they played over the weekend because I couldn't get near William's Green last time. 

will try tweeting them .... fortunately we got into williams green last time ... but those Thursday acts can be a nightmare :( 

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I was actually looking to see if there's any news if the show hawk duo will be returning this year about an hour ago :) ... nothing on their fb page ... I too discovered them thanks to this forum ... so thanks :) 

They're playing... I can't forget where I read it but they said it themselves somewhere. I think they're support act Benji and Hibbz might get a slot too, especially considering the Eavis' let them use the Pyramid for a music video recently.

Just now, vintagelaureate said:

They're playing... I can't forget where I read it but they said it themselves somewhere. I think they're support act Benji and Hibbz might get a slot too, especially considering the Eavis' let them use the Pyramid for a music video recently.

Excellent I think they are a double double act. Every time I've seen Showhawk Duo Benji and Hibbz have been there as well. 

1 minute ago, vintagelaureate said:

nice one cheers :) .... only caught a little of benji and hibbz due to friends being rubbish where support acts are concerned ... will look into these :) 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

nice one cheers :) .... only caught a little of benji and hibbz due to friends being rubbish where support acts are concerned ... will look into these :) 

They usually come on during The Showhawk Duo's set to do the hip hop numbers so you probably will have seen them but they are great in their own right too. 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Excellent I think they are a double double act. Every time I've seen Showhawk Duo Benji and Hibbz have been there as well. 

Only time I've seen them separate is at festivals... Showhawk at Glastonbury and Benji and Hibbz at Boomtown. 

Showhawk are doing Boomtown too this year.

A Glastonbury stalwart, Rodney Brannigan, is certainly worth catching for those who haven’t seen him, and good value if you can see him on Thursday before any clashes.

Anyone who has any enthusiasm for African music should really see Fatoumata Diawara who has a vibrant stage show. 

It's hard to make recommendations at this stage without seeing more on the lineup!

If you like folk I would always recommend trying to catch 3 Daft Monkeys at one of their multiple sets over the weekend. They're great fun, fiddle, guitar, bass and a drummer these days. So technically 4 :)

If you want a 'What the f*ck have I just seen' moment, Henge are an absolute blast live.

The frontman walks around with a glowing orb on his bonce - with a frog on drums, assorted aliens on keyboards, and robot dancers in silver jump suits and welding masks.

I'd post a video, but that would ruin the fun. Just turn up wherever they are playing and enjoy the party.

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

A Glastonbury stalwart, Rodney Brannigan, is certainly worth catching for those who haven’t seen him, and good value if you can see him on Thursday before any clashes.

Anyone who has any enthusiasm for African music should really see Fatoumata Diawara who has a vibrant stage show. 

A yes I love Rodney. 

48 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's hard to make recommendations at this stage without seeing more on the lineup!

If you like folk I would always recommend trying to catch 3 Daft Monkeys at one of their multiple sets over the weekend. They're great fun, fiddle, guitar, bass and a drummer these days. So technically 4 :)

Ah yes but there are lots who have already confirmed. 

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Anyone who has any enthusiasm for 

Agreed. He is phenomenal.

I agree that the recommendations on here and the Spotify playlist have led me to see some great stuff i'd have missed otherwise and who I go to see at their own gigs too.

1 hour ago, Splonk said:

If you want a 'What the f*ck have I just seen' moment, Henge are an absolute blast live.

The frontman walks around with a glowing orb on his bonce - with a frog on drums, assorted aliens on keyboards, and robot dancers in silver jump suits and welding masks.

I'd post a video, but that would ruin the fun. Just turn up wherever they are playing and enjoy the party.

Ooh great. They were already on my "to see" list at Bearded Theory but I think this means they're a "must see".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Splonk said:

I tried at Beautiful Days, but it just didn't work for me. I did wander in midway through tbf, so might just need to catch it from the start. Wonderfully odd though :lol:

I think my comment to my equally bemused brother was "I'm just glad I live in a world where this exists and people enjoy it" :)

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

I remember suggesting to my friend that we go to see Wheel of Four Tunes based on comments on here.  I tried to describe what had been said about them and we duly went along.  When they came on stage she said to me "you didn't say they were dressed as power rangers".  I told her it should have been.bloody obvious.

2 hours ago, Splonk said:

I've seen them - absolutely bonkers. The frontman is convinced he's from another planet, by the end of the set you'll agree with him.

15 hours ago, Splonk said:

Saw henge at Beautiful Days last year, absolutely superb. I believe they re playing Shangri La this year, the perfect setting for them. Would also work in The Park ala Goat in 2015.

19 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I'll give a shout out to one who will hopefully be playing. They've been shortlisted in the Emerging Talent Competition which usually means they should get a gig somewhere on the farm. They are Liines. They have a bit of a Joy Division vibe for me but play with great energy. I've seen them twice. They've been supporting Sleaford Mods on tour at the moment. 

I'm off to see the Sleaford Mods next Saturday and only yesterday was poking around looking for who was supporting them - so odd I should fall across your post - I'll make sure I'm there early enough to see them. Thanks for the tip

My recommendation is Whimwise on the Mandela Stage - bound to be there at some time, but it won't be when scheduled and they'll only play two songs before the batteries run out, but its something I try to do every Glastonbury

Edited by sparkythetortoise

6 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Saw henge at Beautiful Days last year, absolutely superb. I believe they re playing Shangri La this year, the perfect setting for them. Would also work in The Park ala Goat in 2015.

That's the set we wandered into right at the end.  Question - would it have made more sense (and I use that loosely) if we'd been there from the start and got into it properly?