Billie Eilish

Matt42

Just now, jparx said:

To be clear - Billie was great on that tour but just had an underwhelming show at Glastonbury. One underwhelming show with sound issues doesn’t have any relevance to her headlining in the future.

Check out other shows from that tour and she smashes it. 

For many casual observers like myself though, that underwhelming show is the key frame of reference.

I’ll sure she’d smash it, there aren’t many headliners who don’t, but it’s not for me and I’ll almost certainly be somewhere else, which is cool.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

For many casual observers like myself though, that underwhelming show is the key frame of reference.

I’ll sure she’d smash it, there aren’t many headliners who don’t, but it’s not for me and I’ll almost certainly be somewhere else, which is cool.

Yeah that’s fair. I just think it’s only a matter of time now before she headlines. In terms of acts that right now are absolutely massive she has to be at the top of the list. The festival will absolutely try and get the biggest acts in the world to play.

2 hours ago, jparx said:

That new tune is easily the best from this new record at any rate. It’s in that low key banger category, similar to Solar Power. Getting Yeezy vibes from it 

We are the only people in this forum still banging the Billie drum

NDA feels more like it to me. Maybe because it's the most similar in vibe and tone (especially with the video) to the first album.

My Future and Therefore I Am are decent too. Your Power is ok, not a single for me, and Lost Cause I thought was pretty dreadful (really boring, no dynamics at all, which Finneas is normally a king of).

Edited by Mellotr0n

I didn’t expect her to have such a mixed album so early on - but I doubt it’s going to affect her career.

Will be interesting to see what direction the third album goes with, as if she triples down on this style I can’t see her developing into a stadium selling artist. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I didn’t expect her to have such a mixed album so early on - but I doubt it’s going to affect her career.

Will be interesting to see what direction the third album goes with, as if she triples down on this style I can’t see her developing into a stadium selling artist. 

Don’t tell me you’re losing faith Matthew?

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

She couldve booked stadiums or likely will book them in north america after that run in the early spring next year. The kids wont care and all she has to do is have a couple of strong support acts and itll sell. Technically this is album 3 because the first “ep” is 9 songs as it is.

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Don’t tell me you’re losing faith Matthew?

Only because the fan reaction to NDA hasn’t been great. I enjoyed the song and I’m not going to lie the only place I looked to see what the reaction was… was on here.

Didnt realise she’s set off a tik tok trend of people claiming the song is a dud. 

31 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Just to caveat this a little, that's not to say she's smoked by any means. Neither are. You can never tell which way a career twists and a huge swathe of listeners don't care about controversy anyway.

But the honeymoon period — of unequivocal love and respect by fans, critics and casuals — is definitely over.

The unequivocal love thing is unhealthy anyway. You see rabid fans who can’t tolerate even the slightest criticism of their favourites all over social media. It goes to bad places and means any actual conversation or debate is stifled.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The unequivocal love thing is unhealthy anyway. You see rabid fans who can’t tolerate even the slightest criticism of their favourites all over social media. It goes to bad places and means any actual conversation or debate is stifled.

What I will concede on hugh is that some fans are starting to get a bit nervous about this album.

I think what’s clear with her second album is that she’s doubled down on the finneas style of writing songs and isn’t going for bangers. It’s like her first album without any tracks like Bad Guy, Bury a Friend etc. 

In some weird way it makes sense as the kind of tracks like Lost Cause, Therefore I am, NDA are pretty much made for Tik Tok… so in theory this should be translating well. Maybe there’s a fine balance where if your song works for tik tok it needs to work outside of Tik Tok too. Like Dua’s don’t start now, it was a big Tik Tok track but you could still listen to it independently of a tik tok trend?

I dont understand why she is shying away from the bangers tbh. Sure WWAFAWDWG? wasnt the biggest banger fest of the album, but when most of the biggest songs (Bury a Friend, Bad Guy etc.) were the ones that performed better I am not sure why you try and do the exact opposite...

On 7/10/2021 at 11:05 PM, Matt42 said:

I think she'll follow the trajectory of The Weeknd. Seems crazy from this end of her career, but who could've seen the After Hours era coming, back when Abel was in his 2 cool House of Balloons phase?

23 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

I think she'll follow the trajectory of The Weeknd. Seems crazy from this end of her career, but who could've seen the After Hours era coming, back when Abel was in his 2 cool House of Balloons phase?

Potentially - although I’d argue that the Weeknd has just got progressively bigger as his careers gone on and developed cross-over appeal.

She really needs to shake it up on her third album I think. And yes… that means less finneas. 

Unless that’s the type of music she wants to make, but I think the sound might get tiring after a third/fourth go.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Potentially - although I’d argue that the Weeknd has just got progressively bigger as his careers gone on and developed cross-over appeal.

She really needs to shake it up on her third album I think. And yes… that means less finneas. 

Unless that’s the type of music she wants to make, but I think the sound might get tiring after a third/fourth go.

Hold your horses Matt, her album isn’t even out yet! Granted the singles aren’t doing it any favours in the lead up, but there could still be a chance that it all comes together as a single body of work rather than as individual songs plucked out. 

Although it would be pretty hilarious if it turned out to be a giant dud, especially with the offs so heavily stacked in her favour.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Hold your horses Matt, her album isn’t even out yet! Granted the singles aren’t doing it any favours in the lead up, but there could still be a chance that it all comes together as a single body of work rather than as individual songs plucked out. 

Although it would be pretty hilarious if it turned out to be a giant dud, especially with the offs so heavily stacked in her favour.

I don’t think it’s going to be a dud but it’s pretty clear now it’s going in a certain direction. I have enjoyed the songs so far but I admit I haven’t loved them the same way as the debut. She’s moved out of “drops a song and the world stops” mode now.

I wasn’t mixed with the singles from Lover (aside from Lover), but the album came together great. Maybe this will happen here.

On 7/11/2021 at 11:25 AM, Matt42 said:

What I will concede on hugh is that some fans are starting to get a bit nervous about this album.

I think what’s clear with her second album is that she’s doubled down on the finneas style of writing songs and isn’t going for bangers. It’s like her first album without any tracks like Bad Guy, Bury a Friend etc. 

In some weird way it makes sense as the kind of tracks like Lost Cause, Therefore I am, NDA are pretty much made for Tik Tok… so in theory this should be translating well. Maybe there’s a fine balance where if your song works for tik tok it needs to work outside of Tik Tok too. Like Dua’s don’t start now, it was a big Tik Tok track but you could still listen to it independently of a tik tok trend?

Now I am getting old maybe and I know words change their meaning all the time so

Can you define bangers please. To me I see it as big get up and dance uptempo tunes, but maybe there is a spectrum today so where do bangers start and end in your definition.

To me Billie never really had bangers and she has continued that, not sure if you were expecting her to be different and more uptempo and I have no idea why. All this she must be selling bigger venues headlining glastonbury, maybe that is just inside your head and she is just doing her art as she likes.

you also say - It’s like her first album without any tracks like Bad Guy, Bury a Friend etc.  I listened to NDA last night and it could have come from the first album easy and is like those tracks

Also - could you explain what music for the Tik Tok crowd means as well, I have no idea