Billie Eilish

Matt42

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

It’s really not THAT bad...

It’s just a bit of a non-event, much like the other singles from this album, which is an odd move considering this should be the time for her to come out all guns blazing and secure her spot at the top. I’m all for a more restrained second album (Frank Ocean’s Blonde absolutely nailed this) but all this stuff just sounds half arsed. Maybe she needs to step away from working with her brother for a bit as the low key production that was seemingly working before isn’t doing it this time.

Not doubting she could headline but I think her style of low-energy mumbling doesn't lend itself to a world-beating headline slot. At her own shows when fans are shouting the words for her, yeah, but when there's tens of thousands that are just there out of curiosity I think it'll fall pretty flat. Guess that's to be seen at all the headline slots she has lined up for the next couple of years.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Second album is always the one with the slower songs that are a bit easier to do live. This is a whole album dedicated to Billie's shin splints.

<Mumbles over a low-fi beat>

"I've got a crack in my tibia, another in my fibia, they said I've gotta stop all these bangers that I'm giving ya..."

This shit writes itself.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Upvote 1

Bit disappointed by the 2 singles (Your Power, Lost Cause) so far. Feel a bit low effort compared to the fantastic debut album.

Quite liked Therefore I Am and Everything I Wanted, and thought My Future was great once I got past the 90s production.

Edited by Mellotr0n

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

It’s just a bit of a non-event, much like the other singles from this album, which is an odd move considering this should be the time for her to come out all guns blazing and secure her spot at the top. I’m all for a more restrained second album (Frank Ocean’s Blonde absolutely nailed this) but all this stuff just sounds half arsed. Maybe she needs to step away from working with her brother for a bit as the low key production that was seemingly working before isn’t doing it this time.

She needs to hook up with the main man Jack Antonoff

• Like 1

Hmm @dentaIpIaninteresting point about the finneas thing. You can definitely hear that he’s more interested in making chill laid back tracks than bangers. Maybe you’re right that she needs to shake it up a bit with producers if she’s going to be playing huge events.

32 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Hmm @dentaIpIaninteresting point about the finneas thing. You can definitely hear that he’s more interested in making chill laid back tracks than bangers. Maybe you’re right that she needs to shake it up a bit with producers if she’s going to be playing huge events.

That was Floorfiller. The thinking man’s dentalplan.

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Really? Liking the thus released songs much more than the stuff on the first one. 

I do think at the moment that majority of the users here dislike Billie. Probably because there’s a looming chance of her headlining very soon. It’s projection. 

Same thing happened here when Adele was in the running.

Edited by Matt42

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I do think at the moment that majority of the users here dislike Billie. Probably because there’s a looming chance of her headlining very soon. It’s projection. 

Same thing happened here when Adele was in the running.

Come on Matt, you know that's not the case so why say it?

I don't like her stuff because it's boring.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Fair do’s. I do think a lot of people don’t want her to headline though. 

I think there are some (legitimate) concerns about whether she has the chops to at the moment. Her underwhelming performance last time coupled with a seemingly banger free album certainly don't bode well.

If she does headline then good luck to her. I'll just be somewhere else.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think there are some (legitimate) concerns about whether she has the chops to at the moment. Her underwhelming performance last time coupled with a seemingly banger free album certainly don't bode well.

I do think there was an implicit attitude here though that as she becomes a festival headliner globally she needs to prove to doubters that she’s good. Whereas I think this album looks more for her current fan base than roping in new fans.

As said a million times too. This is an album for the tik tok generation. Lowfi beats, laid back vocals and vibes, easy listening. I think it’s the sign of the times really. Pop isn’t being made for the radio anymore. Seems quite academic. 

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

To be clear - Billie was great on that tour but just had an underwhelming show at Glastonbury. One underwhelming show with sound issues doesn’t have any relevance to her headlining in the future.

Check out other shows from that tour and she smashes it. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

I do think there was an implicit attitude here though that as she becomes a festival headliner globally she needs to prove to doubters that she’s good. Whereas I think this album looks more for her current fan base than roping in new fans.

As said a million times too. This is an album for the tik tok generation. Lowfi beats, laid back vocals and vibes, easy listening. I think it’s the sign of the times really. Pop isn’t being made for the radio anymore. Seems quite academic. 

The Tik Tok generation aren’t likely to be at Glastonbury though.