Billie Eilish

Matt42

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t want to open up a further debate but you’re just wrong on this one. She’s a headliner now. She ain’t subbing anything in this country ever again. Have you seen the dates she’s sold out in this country already?

I'm not suggesting she's not popular, but she's touring her first album. Glastonbury was part of that release cycle, so no - she's not coming back to headline the Pyramid without new material (and hopefully a better live show than the one she delivered last year). It's a moot point really I suppose, given she's bound to capitalise on her success with more material before she reappears anyway.

Edited by kalifire

21 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Dunno if I'd focus on "new material = new album" in the traditional sense here.

She's had a post album single out already and will have the Bond theme in March.  

Besides, Stormzy (and Oasis 1995) showed it isn't a blocker.

So she'd do the same set plus two new ones? Anything's possible I guess, but I just don't think it's likely.

Stormzy headlined with one album after performing the year before, but he'd been turning heads for five years before he headlined, whereas Billie performed barely three months after her first album was released, plus the festival actively helped his career by giving him the Pyramid in a way that Billie doesn't need.

55 minutes ago, kalifire said:

So she'd do the same set plus two new ones? Anything's possible I guess, but I just don't think it's likely.

Stormzy headlined with one album after performing the year before, but he'd been turning heads for five years before he headlined, whereas Billie performed barely three months after her first album was released, plus the festival actively helped his career by giving him the Pyramid in a way that Billie doesn't need.

Hmm. I just see a Billie Eilish a similar case to bands like Arctic Monkeys etc.

Some artists just get the top faster than others. She’s really not like any other pop star and her rise to success is unparalleled right now. 

I think she will headline on her next album cycle. Emily Eavis is a massive fan and we know that Emily gives the leg up to acts she really likes.

This is just a thought I’ve been mooting, but I think a reason why Lady Gaga headlining Glastonbury didn’t happen is because (touring dates/plans aside), I don’t think the festival really took a leap to book her at a point where she may have been seen as a premature booking. If the festival booked her in 2013 to headline eyebrows would have been raised but later down the line it would of made total sense.

Beyonce headlined before self titled and lemonade... which I argue was a critical resurgence in her career where she switched from a regular pop star to something a bit bigger than that.

I was very very critical about Stormzy when he was first announced to headline. Now it makes total sense. His second album has been massive and he’s now a without a doubt a major festival headliner in the UK.

She won’t headline this year or next year. 2022 probably makes the most sense as I imagine she will be releasing a new album at some point in 2021. Although it wouldn’t surprise if me if Emily took the leap and booked her in 2021. Looking at the history of Glastonbury it would be a very ‘Glastonbury’ thing to do.

Sold out 4 nights at the O2, Global headline tour, headlining festivals across the world, youngest artist ever to win the big four at the Grammys. Comparing her to lorde or artists like that is just stupid at this point. Lorde never pulled numbers like this.

Edited by Matt42

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Oh man I’m saying she’l headline in the next two years. They will snap her up before any of that. 2022.

She’d have to do something dramatic to fall off by then.

Still doesn't mean she won't sub anything again and she might well be out of Glastonbury's budget until she is on the wane. 

5 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Still doesn't mean she won't sub anything again and she might well be out of Glastonbury's budget until she is on the wane. 

I don’t even know if out of Glastonbury’s budget is an argument anymore. Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar are probably two of the most expensive artists on the market. Aerosmith have agreed to do warm up duties.

GFL have clearly perfected their pitching process. There will be the odd act like Guns and Roses or something which price themselves out, but I think american agents have clocked on to the merit of doing Glastonbury.

Edited by Matt42

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t even know if out of Glastonbury’s budget is an argument anymore. Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar are probably two of the most expensive artists on the market. Aerosmith have agreed to do warm up duties.

GFL have clearly perfected their pitching process. There will be the odd act like Guns and Roses or something which price themselves out, but I think american agents have clocked in to the merit of doing Glastonbury.

I dunno Taylor Swift seems to want to do it and Kendrick is all over the shop this summer including the world famous and surely full of money Woo Hah festival in the Netherlands. 

I'm not saying it definitely won't happen I'm just saying nothing is as certain as you make out.

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

I dunno Taylor Swift seems to want to do it and Kendrick is all over the shop this summer including the world famous and surely full of money Woo Hah festival in the Netherlands. 

I'm not saying it definitely won't happen I'm just saying nothing is as certain as you make out.

You have to remember that if Kendrick’s fee was super high for places like Netherlands he probably would struggle to get any bookings. UK is clearly a massive market for him (hence the BST date), he can sell the tickets here.

25 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You have to remember that if Kendrick’s fee was super high for places like Netherlands he probably would struggle to get any bookings. UK is clearly a massive market for him (hence the BST date), he can sell the tickets here.

I'd say it's more likely that Billie doesn't headline Glastonbury in 2021 or 2022 than that she does headline Woo Hah.

• 2 weeks later...