Billie Eilish

Matt42

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But not unprecedented either

I don’t think they are good examples actually... now I’ve thought about it.

Arctic Monkeys and Oasis we’re big in the UK from their debut but not internationally. Billie is way way way more international. So yeah I don’t think she’s going the same journey as Arctics.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

This is the difference between billie and when Lorde came about. Kids really flocked to Lorde and she was the ''goth queen'' for about a year back in 2013/2014. And then it just fizzled out cause there wasnt that extra ''it'' factor in there. Billie being american and just able to seem to be like everyone else and not some weird kid from new zealand just worked. The industry is pretty happy how this panned out, cause it took em 5 years to have another Lorde, and have it stick this time.

Put some respect on Lorde's name. Just because they are both two young female artists doing something different does not mean one has to genuine / authentic and the other a fake / fraud. 

Lorde hasn't fizzled out either. If you look at the last decade, her two records are defining moments. Pure Heroine a game changer in pop music and Melodrama a critically acclaimed piece of work.

The reason they should be compared is because they are both modern day trailblazers so to speak, who make pop music that is captivating and unique. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t think they are good examples actually... now I’ve thought about it.

Arctic Monkeys and Oasis we’re big in the UK from their debut but not internationally. Billie is way way way more international. So yeah I don’t think she’s going the same journey as Arctics.

Depends what you mean by internationally. Granted they didn't break the US but they were both immediately sizable in Europe, Japan, Australia etc

What I love about Billie is that when the camera pans to all of her contemporary stars, one thing is pretty clear. They are scared of her. Billie has this kind of effortless style and daringness that is a competitors worst nightmare. She seems to speak to the kids much louder than any of the others do.

Thing that always baffles me slightly about the “Oh, *name of band / artist* can’t play two years running” is that it isn’t exactly the same crowd that’ll be watching. 

If she’s available and willing to play GFL should definitely book her. 

3 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Thing that always baffles me slightly about the “Oh, *name of band / artist* can’t play two years running” is that it isn’t exactly the same crowd that’ll be watching. 

I’d much rather she came back in 2022 (probs) and headlined.

19 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I usually don’t find these that interesting but this was so unbelievably wholesome. I hope she headlines Glastonbury one day.

Just watched this. You've gotta respect her and her brother, they recorded it in their bedroom. As kids. And for me at least, there's a lot of originality in a lot of these songs.

17 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Never thought of it in those terms.  Fair shout that.

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

Of course. Even of the people who were at G19 that would like to have seen her, 1000s were at Miley Cyrus.

5 hours ago, Woffy said:

The crowd will be full of boomers now if she plays the Pyramid.

Which isn’t a bad thing, they’ll be the ones buying the merch for their kids.

• 3 weeks later...

Sat watching her Reading set. Would love her to come back this year and headline Other. Think she'd do an astonishing set in the dark. All her festival sets have been daytime and still has a heavy light show. At night it would be a sensational set.

Hell I'd give her pyramid sub at this stage but would prefer the dark of a headline slot.

16 minutes ago, kalifire said:

At what stage? She’s performed as high as she’s going to without more from her. 

They said that about Stormzy. Her career trajectory is escalating quicker than venues and festivals can keep up with. 

I don't think she needs more. What she's got now is enough to get a slot like that and do something special.

Glastonbury is at it's best when it's pushing people ahead of the curve rather than getting them after the moment has passed. That's why stormzy was such a big cultural moment.

Am sure there'll be another new track or 2 before the summer anyway. Other headline or pyramid sub this year, year away and come back and headline in 2022.