Billie Eilish

Matt42

2 minutes ago, Keithy said:

As far as I can tell, most people are losing their shit because she's released a cracking debut album ??‍♂️

Don't think anyone is sexualising her or anything, so not entirely sure what's creepy.

Yes, odd isn't it? Can't adults appreciate, nay rave, over the artistic talents of young people without it being seen as anything but redirected lust?

I've noticed more older dudes online into Billie Eilish than I usually find for someone of her age. Obviously her music is a big part of that, but I think it seems safer to admit liking her music because they won't be taken for a lustful creep.

Maybe it reveals more about the mentality of Garbage, a male band with members as much as 16 years older than the female singer they recruited.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Keithy said:

Bit of a weird tweet from Garbage tbh

As far as I can tell, most people are losing their shit because she's released a cracking debut album ??‍♂️

Don't think anyone is sexualising her or anything, so not entirely sure what's creepy.

What a load of garbage.

She was 40 min late at Coachella (I was there) - worked fine for us as we were just walking by at the right time to catch the beginning. But I'd be pissed if I was there early/right on time though and she made me wait 40 min when there's a zillion other (probably better) things to catch. 

It would be a bit creepy if Eilish was in any way provocative or sexualised, both on her part and for anyone significantly older, but as far as I can tell, she doesn't do that. So it's actually more telling that whoever wrote that tweet from Garbage obviously has that context when it comes to her. That's something they're bringing to the table, nobody else.

Could also be they thought they'd drop a much more popular artist's name to try and score a bit of interest.

Edited by kalifire

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

It would be a bit creepy if Eilish was in any way provocative or sexualised, both on her part and for anyone significantly older, but as far as I can tell, she doesn't do that. So it's actually more telling that whoever wrote that tweet from Garbage obviously has that context when it comes to her. That's something they're bringing to the table, nobody else.

Could also be they thought they'd drop a much more popular artist's name to try and score a bit of interest.

I remember when Bieber appeared years ago, the only reason people were bringing up his age was to up his singing abilities, as in ‘omg he can sing and he’s only 12’. Which he couldn’t.

Billie must of rattled some cages in industry, if people resort to calling her on her age. Does it even matter? She’s got abilities (see the first album, it’s more ballad-ish and you can really hear her voice, unlike the whispering second one), so let her be.

Am I becoming that super fan person from Janet Jackson thread?! ?

Edited by Jay89

22 hours ago, Friend Chicken said:

She was 40 min late at Coachella (I was there) - worked fine for us as we were just walking by at the right time to catch the beginning. But I'd be pissed if I was there early/right on time though and she made me wait 40 min when there's a zillion other (probably better) things to catch. 

Production issues at the stage were the reason for the delay. She was there (very) early. 

On 4/17/2019 at 2:51 AM, kalifire said:

Might seduce your dad type?

I know it's just a throw away line in one song but in general bad guy is a pretty overtly sexual song, it's also a banger and I think most older folk can enjoy it without creeping over a teenager but I can see why it might seem a touch odd.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Might seduce your dad type?

I know it's just a throw away line in one song but in general bad guy is a pretty overtly sexual song

It’s the closest she gets, I hear you. I wouldn’t describe it was overtly sexual though. There’s nothing remotely sexual about the video, for example, which is basically of a teenager goofing around and being all moody. 

I maintain she’s bringing few if any sexual vibes and resent the insinuation that anyone older following her is necessarily creepy for doing so. 

9 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It’s the closest she gets, I hear you. I wouldn’t describe it was overtly sexual though. There’s nothing remotely sexual about the video, for example, which is basically of a teenager goofing around and being all moody. 

I maintain she’s bringing few if any sexual vibes and resent the insinuation that anyone older following her is necessarily creepy for doing so. 

I agree as far as young pop stars go she's amongst the least sexual. Bad guy is definitely a sexual song though:

So you're a tough guy
Like it really rough guy
Just can't get enough guy

I like it when you take control
Even if you know that you don't
Own me, I'll let you play the role
I'll be your animal

11 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I agree as far as young pop stars go she's amongst the least sexual. Bad guy is definitely a sexual song though:

So you're a tough guy
Like it really rough guy

I'll be your animal

Is there anything especially troubling about that, or enjoying the music as an older person, though? I’m 41 and my context for those lyrics is she’s being a bratty teenager trying on a spot of edge for size like many do at her point in life.

I don’t think she’s flaunting herself or particularly sexualising her output - her appeal to her largest demographic seems just to be a moody, faintly rebellious brat, not a seductress. If she was, and that was her entire schtick, it would be more problematic because there’s no getting away from that. As it is, Eilish’s debut is strong enough not to rely on that. Phew.  

It’s possible that some might find Bad Guy, or her, arousing, but I don’t think she’s to blame for that and that’s my whole point. I’m not having some insinuation that it has to be creepy for me to enjoy the music of somebody who’s 17 just because they can’t get past their own personal dilemma in doing so. 

28 minutes ago, mcshed said:

So you're a tough guy
Like it really rough guy

I'll be your animal

Well, she is 17. Expecting nursery rhymes from her or her 21 year old brother would be silly. 

How old were Britney Spears or Cristina Aguilera when they released their first albums? I wonder how many older people lusted over them then. Creeps and sickos will always be there, regardless of whether the artist is 'oversexualized' or not .

I never read anything like that questioning why adults might like the Jonas Brothers, or Hanson, or Justin Bieber or any other male teen pop artist. It seems the 'sexual vibe' thing is only an issue when it's a female performer?

Edited by Gabi_says
  • Upvote 1

She can be as sexual as she wants, and there’s no blame on her at all if creepy old men liked her because of that. That said, she’s not doing that at all and if anyone is titilated by Bad Guy they need to get out more. As Gabi said, no one is picking through the lyrics of young male stars’ songs. Garbage come off very badly from that tweet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Is there anything especially troubling about that, or enjoying the music as an older person, though? I’m 41 and my context for those lyrics is she’s being a bratty teenager trying on a spot of edge for size like many do at her point in life.

I don’t think she’s flaunting herself or particularly sexualising her output - her appeal to her largest demographic seems just to be a moody, faintly rebellious brat, not a seductress. If she was, and that was her entire schtick, it would be more problematic because there’s no getting away from that. As it is, Eilish’s debut is strong enough not to rely on that. Phew.  

It’s possible that some might find Bad Guy, or her, arousing, but I don’t think she’s to blame for that and that’s my whole point. I’m not having some insinuation that it has to be creepy for me to enjoy the music of somebody who’s 17 just because they can’t get past their own personal dilemma in doing so. 

30 minutes ago, Gabi_says said:

Well, she is 17. Expecting nursery rhymes from her or her 21 year old brother would be silly. 

How old were Britney Spears or Cristina Aguilera when they released their first albums? I wonder how many older people lusted over them then. Creeps and sickos will always be there, regardless of whether the artist is 'oversexualized' or not .

I never read anything like that questioning why adults might like the Jonas Brothers, or Hanson, or Justin Bieber or any other male teen pop artist. It seems the 'sexual vibe' thing is only an issue when it's a female performer?

I don't think there's anything problematic about it, as I said she's less sexualised than most female teenage popstars I was merely disputing Kali's original assertation that there is nothing sexualised about her. 

As for the gender thing I think this is probably down to a difference in the way they are presented.

42 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yah the aversion to the Other Stage on these boards is way over the top. It’s unremarkable as a venue but it’s pretty ace that the festival has a massive second stage that can grant big shows to acts who might be new to them or not normally get them.

Yeah I don't get it. Much prefer it to the pyramid stage and have had some great times there.

If an act is too big for a tent then you've either got to leave people standing outside the tent who want to see them or put them on one of the big 3 outdoor stages. Simple really.

Edited by bombfrog
  • Upvote 1

On 4/18/2019 at 9:34 AM, Bradders said:

She can be as sexual as she wants, and there’s no blame on her at all if creepy old men liked her because of that. That said, she’s not doing that at all and if anyone is titilated by Bad Guy they need to get out more. As Gabi said, no one is picking through the lyrics of young male stars’ songs. Garbage come off very badly from that tweet.

Good comment. The problem lies with those who take offence not the music.

Ironic debating the lyrics of one of billies songs when another artist who is appearing swings naked on a wrecking ball in her video! 

Sometimes the sound at the Other Stage is trash. That's the only reason I ever moan about it. As for Billie, I would've prefer JP because I think it would have been more intense and fitting of her style. Hopefully the Other Stage slot is a late one.

On 4/17/2019 at 2:51 AM, kalifire said:

Yeah, agree. What a ridiculous tweet. Clashes permitting, I fully expect to see her set this year, with my 17 year old daughter. Hopefully I’m permitted to enjoy it without some judgemental @rseholes thinking I’m there for a perv.

My 10 and 7 year old daughters been playing her stuff, I’d joked with them saying it was actually decent for them for a change (trying to wean them off Capital fm and the likes , getting there slowly with them) I’d no idea what age she was until coming on here. I’ll prob go along just to get cool dad points from them when I get home. Hopefully won’t look like an old creep ?