Billie Eilish

Matt42

I hadn't even heard of her until I saw Dave Grohl's thing on Twitter and googled her.

I hadn't felt so 'cat lady' old and out of synch with what kids are into these days, in a very long time. I don't get her, I don't find anything interesting or exciting in her music. 

image.png.df106be608f7cd2afb11f70bce063096.png

3 hours ago, Gabi_says said:

I hadn't even heard of her until I saw Dave Grohl's thing on Twitter and googled her.

I hadn't felt so 'cat lady' old and out of synch with what kids are into these days, in a very long time. I don't get her, I don't find anything interesting or exciting in her music. 

I'm so happy to say that I was wrong: I spent the entire morning listening to her songs and watching her videos (I hadn't seen any of them before, just briefly listened to snippets of songs. I take back what I said earlier: she is interesting and exciting, and I will definitely stumble my way across the farm to try and catch her set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabi_says said:

I'm so happy to say that I was wrong: I spent the entire morning listening to her songs and watching her videos (I hadn't seen any of them before, just briefly listened to snippets of songs. I take back what I said earlier: she is interesting and exciting, and I will definitely stumble my way across the farm to try and catch her set.

giphy.gif

(Just kidding, Billie EIlish doesn't sound like crap and I'm honestly sure you're sincere in your appreciation of her as well.)

9 minutes ago, marcoolio said:

giphy.gif

(Just kidding, Billie EIlish doesn't sound like crap and I'm honestly sure you're sincere in your appreciation of her as well.)

Ha! My first impression of her by listening to a few seconds of her songs was 'great, another whispering Lana del Rey' and I left it at that. Today I actually listened, and I loved the videos and got a 'great, this decade's Björk' feeling, in the sense that's it looks and sounds new and different, and is difficult to label and oddly mesmerizing.

Like Little Simz.

Edited by Gabi_says

18 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

True (and I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative) but I'd say someone who writes their own songs is more talented than someone who doesn't.

I know where you're coming from but if you hear a new song on the radio and you like it, do you like it any less if you subsequently find out that the singer didn't write it?

11 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I know where you're coming from but if you hear a new song on the radio and you like it, do you like it any less if you subsequently find out that the singer didn't write it?

Personally, I wouldn't like the song any less. But I would give the majority of the credit to the songwriter, not the singer. And I'd be less inclined to listen to anymore of their music seeing as it may not have the same inventiveness or sound.

55 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

True (and I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative) but I'd say someone who writes their own songs is more talented than someone who doesn't.

Different kind of talent though innit? Not necessarily more or less.  You can have a brilliant songwriter but they can be a dross singer or performer. But you get someone with musical talent who can take that songwriting and make it happen, bang!  Don't tend to hear of a compromised admiration for Elton John because ol' Bernie writes the lyrics (and yes, I know Elton does the tunes to go with the words).

Musicianship and vocal ability is just as much a talent as songwriting. The gold standard is doing it all, but how many of those are there really?

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Different kind of talent though innit? Not necessarily more or less.  You can have a brilliant songwriter but they can be a dross singer or performer. But you get someone with musical talent who can take that songwriting and make it happen, bang!  Don't tend to hear of a compromised admiration for Elton John because ol' Bernie writes the lyrics (and yes, I know Elton does the tunes to go with the words).

Musicianship and vocal ability is just as much a talent as songwriting. The gold standard is doing it all, but how many of those are there really?

"Bernie?"

"Yes, Reg?"

"'Sacrifice' has 4 syllables right?"

*crosses fingers behind back and imagines royalty cheque* "Of course, Reg, of course"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

Miles Kane in "more talented than Aretha Franklin" shocker.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:49 PM, jyoung said:

Quite possibly. I know 'literally erupts' might be a bit of a stretch for Glasto but one can hope.

Clashes permitting i'm gravitating more and more towards watching Billie Eilish.

I'm 44 so i'll probably applaud enthusiatically. I might even 'whoop' if i get a little carried away.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Clashes permitting i'm gravitating more and more towards watching Billie Eilish.

I'm 44 so i'll probably applaud enthusiatically. I might even 'whoop' if i get a little carried away.

I've been seriously debating getting a ticket for Girli in Brighton on Saturday night after listening to her album last week, but having seen a Twitter post from someone saying they were one of the oldest people in the audience at one of her recent gigs I'm rethinking it. The guy was about 25. 

I suspect this is one to leave to the kids, and hope to catch her at Glastonbury where I'll look slightly less....creepy. Especially as I got to gigs on my tod :lol:

Edited by Quark

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

I suspect this is one to leave to the kids, and hope to catch her at Glastonbury where I'll look slightly less....creepy. Especially as I got to gigs on my tod :lol:

I took my daughter to a Sugababes gig in Bournemouth once. 

It was one of the most hyped-up, manic, febrile atmosphere's of perhaps any gig i've ever been to. I felt about 75. 

5 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I took my daughter to a Sugababes gig in Bournemouth once. 

It was one of the most hyped-up, manic, febrile atmosphere's of perhaps any gig i've ever been to. I felt about 75. 

Interesting. What are your daughter's thoughts on Girli's output?

And what are Mrs Woffy's thoughts on lending her to someone from the internet you've never actually met in person so he can go to a gig and not look weird?

Or at least, any weirder than it looks asking if he can borrow someone's child.

Asking for a friend.

24 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Good lad. The age thing doesn't matter. Sometimes I think I'm the youngest when I go to gigs and I'm 25 but oh well. If the gig bangs, the gig bangs. Billie for the people!

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Interesting. What are your daughter's thoughts on Girli's output?

And what are Mrs Woffy's thoughts on lending her to someone from the internet you've never actually met in person so he can go to a gig and not look weird?

Or at least, any weirder than it looks asking if he can borrow someone's child.

Asking for a friend.

I'll ask them (there are 4 Woffy daughters).

I was going to post something about 'lending' you one of them until i realised that - even in jest - this sounded highly imappropriate.

When you next see your friend tell him to have a bloody word with himself. Jeeeez!

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

Good lad. The age thing doesn't matter. Sometimes I think I'm the youngest when I go to gigs and I'm 25 but oh well. If the gig bangs, the gig bangs. Billie for the people!

I think that the older you get the further from the front you seem to find yourself. 

PS - I'm taking being called 'lad' by a 25 y/o as a positive start to my Friday!