Billie Eilish

Matt42

I saw her at Shepherd's Bush Empire last month and it really was brilliant.   "The Kids" were well into her, one of the liveliest crowds I've seen - singing along to every word of every song and all having the best time.   Can't knock that.

The music's great as well.   With all the success she's had over the past 18 months or so, it would have been very easy for her label to force her to work with some of the obvious producers for her debut but instead we get a record created entirely by a 17 year old girl and her 21 year old brother which is fresh and interesting.   Her huge streaming success just goes to show that pop music doesn't have to follow the same formula of sounding like a Chainsmokers song to generate streams - I think and hope that Billie Eilish's success will open up doors for more interesting pop music to cross into the mainstream.

The Glastonbury crowd isn't going to be as up for it as seeing her at her own shows or Reading and Leeds (Glastonbury audiences are generally quite tame) but I still think her set will be one of the talking points of the weekend.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

The music's great as well.   With all the success she's had over the past 18 months or so, it would have been very easy for her label to force her to work with some of the obvious producers for her debut but instead we get a record created entirely by a 17 year old girl and her 21 year old brother which is fresh and interesting.   Her huge streaming success just goes to show that pop music doesn't have to follow the same formula of sounding like a Chainsmokers song to generate streams - I think and hope that Billie Eilish's success will open up doors for more interesting pop music to cross into the mainstream.

This this this this!. I always find when pop is becoming a bit stale there is always someone that comes around and shakes it up. With the popularity of SoundCloud rappers etc this was bound to happen. Reminds me a bit of when Arctic Monkeys started out. 

If she’s managed to sell 400k in pure sales in her first week in the US, and reaching a billion streams already she is already set to become headliner level. If she carries this momentum her next release will be huge. If I was taylor Swift or Ariana Grande I’d be concerned.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

if every band had a rich daddy they'd be guaranteed to keep on trying till they made it too. 

There’s no guarantee of success though is there? 

Sure his money put her in a great position, one others can only dream of, but she still had to put the effort in to get to where she is. 

52 minutes ago, Smash1984 said:

I have her in the same category as Birdy and she played Avalon on Saturday last time around. Billie is more popular though imo so they'll most likely give her a larger stage if that's how it works.

Haha well off the mark here lad.

Giving the album a listen, pretty enjoyable so far after a few tracks. I must admit the cynical side of me finds her persona somewhat annoying, rich white girl with industry connections up to her neck being marketed to the kids as an edgy alternative pop star, when the music itself is actually pretty vanilla

My Daughter switch me onto her a year or so back. I really like her. Certainly looking forward to seeing her and no idea where she will play but it will be packed.

An aside - my daughter was invited to go and meet her in London, which she thought was just after show hello, and she didn't fancy it with a "too popular to actually go too" cool stance. Turned out it was hanging out with her at her hotel, she regrets her decision .

33 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Giving the album a listen, pretty enjoyable so far after a few tracks. I must admit the cynical side of me finds her persona somewhat annoying, rich white girl with industry connections up to her neck being marketed to the kids as an edgy alternative pop star, when the music itself is actually pretty vanilla

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

Without wanting to start another sexism in music rabbit hole, it never fails to amaze me that as soon as a teenage girl has some success, the 'industry plant', 'manufactured', 'rich white girl' stuff comes out.

Can't ever remember that being thrown at Beiber or any male teenager star ??‍♂️ ... certainly not to the state or regularity that females get.

Am suprised that some of her early breakthrough stuff like Ocean Eyes isn't on the album. Bitchesbrokenhearts and bellyache are cracking songs and they're not on there either. She's got more songs than just that album though guess as some of those are pushing 18 months old, that's probably why they're not on the album.

My hope for Glastonbury is she gets JP, afternoon slot and does some of her early stuff rather than just promote the album. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Without wanting to start another sexism in music rabbit hole, it never fails to amaze me that as soon as a teenage girl has some success, the 'industry plant', 'manufactured', 'rich white girl' stuff comes out.

Can't ever remember that being thrown at Beiber or any male teenager star ??‍♂️ ... certainly not to the state or regularity that females get

Am suprised that some of her early breakthrough stuff like Ocean Eyes isn't on the album. Bitchesbrokenhearts and bellyache are cracking songs and they're not on there either. She's got more songs than just that album though guess as some of those are pushing 18 months old, that's probably why they're not on the album.

My hope for Glastonbury is she gets JP, afternoon slot and does some of her early stuff rather than just promote the album. 

I’ve heard bellyache when she still was just ‘instagram star’, still my favourite song. 

Dont really understand someone’s dig at LDR. Not like she’s absolutely talentless and never made any bangers ? doubt daddy would chuck money at daughter that sounds like pig pen gospel.

44 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Can't ever remember that being thrown at Beiber or any male teenager star ??‍♂️ ... certainly not to the state or regularity that females get.

Wholeheartedly agree with all of this 

On 4/7/2019 at 1:34 PM, jyoung said:

If I was booking her it would be high up on JP. I think she can easily fill the tent and give a good show. Mid afternoon on the Other doesn't really do it for me. 

Tbf, mid afternoon on the Other doesn't really do it for anyone, but someone has to play there! 

Mid afternoon Other is a safe bet for Billie I think. She's further along than CATQ was, but i think it'll be similar to the slot she did a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

You make fair points, I’m sure a lot of people giving her stick would change their tune if it was a bloke.

Not sure I agree with the Bieber point, he got untold stick when he broke into fame, although maybe not specifically with the industry plant stuff.

Part of it is the fact that her whole persona is very obviously modelled around being edgy/into the street wear and sound cloud rap scene, which is popular at the moment. The music however sounds fairly generic by comparison (not bad, just not particularly ‘out there’). If her album was made but someone who looks like Adele no one would bat an eyelid.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

Do you not think it's too...understated for mid Other?

I think Billie will have a big enough crowd of fans for it to work anyway personally. CATQ was quite understated in that same slot as well, but it just drew people in. 

High up JP would be the better slot, but I just think the festival will want her on a high profile stage.