Isle of Wight 2020

jj200

The latest announcement is as underwhelming as the first. I just can't see people getting exited about this line-up enough to make the effort to get a ferry to get onto the island. It's very second-, if not third-division, and the likes of Sam Fender and Lewis Capaldi will definitely be turning up at other festivals all summer long. 

This festival has lost its way. And that makes me sad.

On 2/28/2020 at 10:18 PM, maelzoid said:

The latest announcement is as underwhelming as the first. I just can't see people getting exited about this line-up enough to make the effort to get a ferry to get onto the island. It's very second-, if not third-division, and the likes of Sam Fender and Lewis Capaldi will definitely be turning up at other festivals all summer long. 

This festival has lost its way. And that makes me sad.

Agree 100%. Unfortunately I was all in before the line up was announced so just have to enjoy it for what it is. Hopefully the weather delivers more than the line up!! It looks more Radio One big weekend than an IOW line up to me 

11 minutes ago, Mr Carbohydrate said:

Agree 100%. Unfortunately I was all in before the line up was announced so just have to enjoy it for what it is. Hopefully the weather delivers more than the line up!! It looks more Radio One big weekend than an IOW line up to me 

Last time I went was in ‘18. The weather could have been the headline act, it was glorious.

i am being down on this lineup, but it’s not like many attending will have a bad time or anything.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Mr Carbohydrate said:

Was reminiscing over past line ups and noticed the libertines are listed on the Sunday?! Any truth to this? Would brighten up my weekend 🎸

DEAD81E6-0386-4E45-A5C5-9071CD39C97B.jpeg

Its wikipedia so somebody either changed it or got it wrong. Can't see them there anyway - far too near Boomtown although its a very different audience.

17 hours ago, atomised said:

So the sunday headliner exclusivity has gone 

Weird one that. It either means that BST is not considered a festival, so exclusivity remains or something's gone wrong somewhere. Festivals don't just announce exclusives on a whim, they have the act contractually locked up.

Either way, it doesn't look good for the Festival, and I'm sure some punters will cry foul at this, and I wouldn't blame them. Also, anyone tempted by Duran now have another option to consider, so the festival already looks less enticing. 

9 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Weird one that. It either means that BST is not considered a festival, so exclusivity remains or something's gone wrong somewhere. Festivals don't just announce exclusives on a whim, they have the act contractually locked up.

Either way, it doesn't look good for the Festival, and I'm sure some punters will cry foul at this, and I wouldn't blame them. Also, anyone tempted by Duran now have another option to consider, so the festival already looks less enticing. 

Indeed. And an option with no expensive ferry at that. BST is announced as a 40th anniversary show so I dont know whether they are getting around it with how its billed 

5 minutes ago, atomised said:

Indeed. And an option with no expensive ferry at that. BST is announced as a 40th anniversary show so I dont know whether they are getting around it with how its billed 

Also with Nile Rodgers on the bill, so there should be some collaborating. I imagine Nile joins them for Notorious at least. Maybe even other songs from that album. Skin Trade is one of their best and I don't think it gets aired very often.

• Upvote 1

What are the odds on the whole thing being cancelled?

Covid 19 peak is predicted for mid June or thereabouts.

Thoughts?

I know it's speculation but I'm bored and this thread is really, really quiet compared to previous years...

Edited by galbani

IOW is done for I reckon with glastonbury down unless something changes within a week (which is VERY unlikely). Should be lots of acts touring next year for them to pick up, hopefully they get through the off season

1 hour ago, AMBEV said:

I can see it being cancelled as Glastonbury has just been pulled. 
to this end I can see a lot of smaller festivals going to the wall too. 
hopefully IoW will come back stronger after this.  

Regrettably, I can see a lot of small venues and festivals having great difficulty. We have a lot of businesses reliant on "seat of the pants" financial ethos living from paycheck-to-paycheck where it can't afford a slowdown, so the idea of everything stopping until June or even longer is going to the stuff of nightmares.

It's probably done for, but one thing that it might have in it's favour (compared to Glastonbury) is that they could do the build in about 2 weeks. Whereas Glastonbury having so much more to it needs to start 2 months before.

It must say something about how far IoW has fallen in the festival rankings that these are the only 2 responses to news this one's been another cultural event left by the wayside.

But I guess when Glastonbury announced it couldn't go ahead, a lot of other similar events just became likelier to not happen.

8 hours ago, charlierc said:

It must say something about how far IoW has fallen in the festival rankings that these are the only 2 responses to news this one's been another cultural event left by the wayside.

I think it's at least partly that IOW has repositioned itself so far that there's no longer a significant overlap between their audience and eFestivals users (on the forum, at least).

While the lineup got absolutely slated on here, if you look on Facebook and Twitter it got one of the most positive reactions they've had for years.

To put it another way - efests is populated by 6 music listeners. IOW these days is for Radio 2 listeners.

You watch - they'll have Simply Red headline next year, efests will explode in outrage, and the damn thing will sell out.

14 hours ago, incident said:

I think it's at least partly that IOW has repositioned itself so far that there's no longer a significant overlap between their audience and eFestivals users (on the forum, at least).

While the lineup got absolutely slated on here, if you look on Facebook and Twitter it got one of the most positive reactions they've had for years.

To put it another way - efests is populated by 6 music listeners. IOW these days is for Radio 2 listeners.

You watch - they'll have Simply Red headline next year, efests will explode in outrage, and the damn thing will sell out.

That might just be it tbf. I have no doubt its target demographic was really looking forward to it, but it just wasn't to my tastes.

And yeah. But then I imagine that, provided people feel confident these things can go ahead in 2021, there'll be a lot of places selling out cos they'll be happy they're going ahead. Least that's the hope. And assuming people have money to throw at events like this ofc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 7:31 PM, incident said:

Couldn't have put it better myself, efestivals is populated by 6music listeners and if from being an example of what every music fan likes.