Isle of Wight 2020

jj200

I can't believe how bad this line up is. 

Surely they can afford one big act. 

Lionel Richie?  Really??  Duran Duran?  A few years ago these would have been 3rd 4th on the line up. 

Oh for the days of Foos KOL Bruce Stones McCartney The Killers The Police Bon Jovi RHCP Tom Petty Pearl Jam and The Prodigy. 

I give it 3 years unfortunately as I used to love this festival. 

A history lesson...

After previous years having headliners like Stevie Wonder and Elton John, in 2015 Isle of Wight-based Bestival had Duran Duran and Chemical Brothers headlining.

in 2017, Bestival moved to the mainland...

in 2018, Bestival went into administration, leaving 2017 as the festival's final event.

The main problem this has is, the headliners. Its not even the size of them but the type of act they are, all three alienate a younger audience, all 3 target 30 plus audience I'd hazard to say 40 plus audience actually and that age range just do not go to festivals in large numbers. The Rock audience do yes which is why Download gets away with it every Yr but, asking people to spend half a grand which is what it ends up being with everything, traveling down to the coast, ferry across, it's just not gunna happen. No way, no how. 

Capaldi is available elsewhere

Chems just done a massive tour their fans would have just seen them. 

There's just absolutely nothing about this line up that would get multi thousands travelling, it can't pass by on residents alone. IOW has lost its identity, its lost in the shuffle and its like V was and is doomed to failure. 

9 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

The main problem this has is, the headliners. Its not even the size of them but the type of act they are, all three alienate a younger audience, all 3 target 30 plus audience I'd hazard to say 40 plus audience actually and that age range just do not go to festivals in large numbers. The Rock audience do yes which is why Download gets away with it every Yr but, asking people to spend half a grand which is what it ends up being with everything, traveling down to the coast, ferry across, it's just not gunna happen. No way, no how. 

Capaldi is available elsewhere

Chems just done a massive tour their fans would have just seen them. 

There's just absolutely nothing about this line up that would get multi thousands travelling, it can't pass by on residents alone. IOW has lost its identity, its lost in the shuffle and its like V was and is doomed to failure. 

Only so long they were going to book the sub sized acts that will sell enough before that dries up.

1 hour ago, Sam217 said:

In context, in 2016 Duran Duran headlined the now defunct Common People in Southampton, for £29.50 a ticket. 4 years later and now all of a sudden with no new material since then, they’re now headlining Isle of Wight, for £185 a ticket...

thats not context .as 29.50 a day and 185 for four days with more stages/tents/acts

• Upvote 1

It's a massively expensive weekend - tickets, travel, time off work (2 days, self employed), hotel, ferry. I'm struggling to see the value in this line-up.

If it was easier to get to - 500 mile round trip, ferry... it might be worth the effort. If I got 3 free tickets... maybe

Giddings is detached from reality I think. He's got to try to up-sell this as best he can.

Can't see it lasting.

• Upvote 1

I think that most of you are getting confused between "I don't like it" and "nobody will like it". Yes, the lineup is bland as fuck. Yes, there's no chance I'd pay to go to that. But there's definitely an audience for it out there, and I reckon they'll sell a profitable amount of tickets. They're targetting people in their 30s/40s/50s who don't follow music anymore and want something inoffensive and vaguely nostalgic that they can either take their kids to or use as an escape from said kids.

If you look at the reaction on on Facebook & Twitter, it seems like there's less moaning than you'd usually get, and a lot of people are very happy. Strangely, one of the more common moans I've seen is fans of that James Arthur person upset that he's not headlining.

A few people have suggested (maybe jokingly, maybe seriously) that the festival is somehow 'saving up' for future years by having cheaper acts this year. I really don't think the economics of a festival work like this. For one, they would not sell as many tickets, or at such a high price with a less appealing line-up. I also suspect that they are running multiple lines of credit to get the festival to happen in the first place, and those lines would accrue crippling interest if returns were not realized fairly quickly. I'd imagine that running a festival is for most promoters something of a gamble anyway, it's no wonder that many fold with little notice.

23 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I also suspect that they are running multiple lines of credit to get the festival to happen in the first place, and those lines would accrue crippling interest if returns were not realized fairly quickly.

when you're owned by live nation who also own ticketmaster, you probably don't have to do that (and i've seen some company house docs which suggest this happens).

Ticketmaster sits on the ticket cash until the gig happens. I wonder what a good use of that cash mountain would be in the meantime...? :P 

51 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Ticketmaster sits on the ticket cash until the gig happens. I wonder what a good use of that cash mountain would be in the meantime...? :P 

My guess would be they invest in some form of equity, turn over a nice profit, and then not share it with anyone involved with the festival, all the while slapping on unreasonably high booking fees on all sales made.  :P

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Image result for iow 2012

I'm still citing this line-up as an example of what IOW was... 2 out of 3 of those subs headlined this year without their stars rising in any significant way...

Looking at this lineup in a different way with many people saying that this year's headliners don't target a younger audience - neither do these ones. I think the headliner options are strange and with a minor edit done could have actually been quite decent. The Big Top headliners attract a fairly 'dark fruits' crowd which they have been picking up the last two years and so if they had got say Liam Gallagher/Kasabian/Killers (obviously too soon - they shouldn't have used up all those headliners in the same year) then it could have got that whole crowd interested but it just lacks the big name to pull people in.

I think IoW really got left with nothing after using up a ton of similar headliners in 2018 which played too recently to be rebooked again for 2020. Seems like poor planning to me but thats just what I think with my taste of what attracts me to a festival. Probably still will go I really liked it last year - over Sziget even - but probably with resale tickets again.