Is the end of Boomtown near?

Jimpsnl

1 hour ago, mr flow said:

Aside from Glastonbury, has any festival actually sold out this year?

Shambala only have "guided cycle tour" tickets left - which they claim do require you to actually make the journey by bike from London, Bristol or Sheffield and charge you a bomb for the privilege. So by most measures I'd count them as sold out.

I'm not aware of anything else being sold out yet, though it sounds like Bearded Theory is on course to do so soon.

Edited by incident

19 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, quite a few. Nibley sold out just today.

Tho having looked deeper, almost 4everything which is sold out is 'big gig' rather than a festival.

brilliant! I was going to mention Nibley, but not sure if it counted in a Boomtown forum :)

Clearly Nibley is the future!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 7:58 AM, deebeedoobee said:

But Frosty you gotta go! You are 33.3% of the efestivals meet, together with Pilton Digger and me. ?

Sad but true lol

The job that would have clashed has silently been given to what sounds like a terrible chance, so it's back as a possibility just getting my head around this year's plans now.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Not been to BoomTown since 2015, but going this year with two mates (who haven't been before).

Will there be any noticeable differences?

Last time I went there was a nightmare with queues to get in from the car parks. I camped 'uptown' near the town centre/ferris wheel - is that still ok to get in on the Thursday afternoon?

We are all in our mid-30's now and just need an easy ride getting onto site...also is security/police still OTT? my mate will bring some weed with him and could do with it not being sniffed out!

13 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Not been to BoomTown since 2015, but going this year with two mates (who haven't been before).

Will there be any noticeable differences?

Last time I went there was a nightmare with queues to get in from the car parks. I camped 'uptown' near the town centre/ferris wheel - is that still ok to get in on the Thursday afternoon?

We are all in our mid-30's now and just need an easy ride getting onto site...also is security/police still OTT? my mate will bring some weed with him and could do with it not being sniffed out!

It's change quite a lot. You're in for a treat.

The queue issues was non-existent last year since they introduced 4 separate entrance gates. Hopefully this carries on.

The campsite you stayed before in uptown, now has a honking great main stage in it ("Sector 6" from 2016 to 2018, "Nucleus" stage new for 2019). As a result it's probably one of the busiest places to camp in the whole festival now. It will be rammed on Thursday afternoon. It's no matter though, there are plenty of great places to pitch up.

As for security it's about the same it's always been. Tighter than average festivals, but perfectly manageable with some common sense.

3 hours ago, Sku said:

It's change quite a lot. You're in for a treat.

The queue issues was non-existent last year since they introduced 4 separate entrance gates. Hopefully this carries on.

The campsite you stayed before in uptown, now has a honking great main stage in it ("Sector 6" from 2016 to 2018, "Nucleus" stage new for 2019). As a result it's probably one of the busiest places to camp in the whole festival now. It will be rammed on Thursday afternoon. It's no matter though, there are plenty of great places to pitch up.

As for security it's about the same it's always been. Tighter than average festivals, but perfectly manageable with some common sense.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Yeh I was sort of struggling to find where I camped on the 2018 map! All I recall is that I walked from the town centre stage, past the ferris wheel and through some hedges and the field I camped in was in front of me going down a hill.

If we are arriving Thursday afternoon, is there any field that is close(ish) to the exits and not far from entrance that doesn't fill up too quickly?  We don't mind a bit of a walk to the main parts. 

Thanks. :) 

30 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

If we are arriving Thursday afternoon, is there any field that is close(ish) to the exits and not far from entrance that doesn't fill up too quickly?  We don't mind a bit of a walk to the main parts.

Depends which gate you arrive at, and whether they have the same capacity + site layout as last year - but there was a huge amount of free space all weekend in the parts of Sector 6 Camping near East Gate - which, admittedly, is about as far away from everything as you can get.

25 minutes ago, incident said:

Depends which gate you arrive at, and whether they have the same capacity + site layout as last year - but there was a huge amount of free space all weekend in the parts of Sector 6 Camping near East Gate - which, admittedly, is about as far away from everything as you can get.

Guess I won’t know which gate until we actually arrive?! (Coming from A34 north) 

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Guess I won’t know which gate until we actually arrive?! (Coming from A34 north) 

If arriving by car on Thursday, it's most likely to be the East Gate. West & North Gates are mostly used for public transport and Boomtown Springs VIP on Thursday. As stated, last year, there was heaps of space at the East Gate. You can always start heading in, and see how close you get before it starts packing out.

Where you camped last year sounds like it would have been "Old Town" on the 2018 map. I also camped there in 2015. The field was pretty chill, and only one side of the valley filled up that year. Nowadays the whole thing is rammed!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:39 PM, Sku said:

If arriving by car on Thursday, it's most likely to be the East Gate. West & North Gates are mostly used for public transport and Boomtown Springs VIP on Thursday. As stated, last year, there was heaps of space at the East Gate. You can always start heading in, and see how close you get before it starts packing out.

Where you camped last year sounds like it would have been "Old Town" on the 2018 map. I also camped there in 2015. The field was pretty chill, and only one side of the valley filled up that year. Nowadays the whole thing is rammed!

I think we will probably just head in and go for the nearest quiet spot.  I'm not too bothered about being in the centre of the action anymore.

When do the queues start to die down on the Thursday these days?  Would prefer to be able to walk right in if possible!

On 7/4/2019 at 9:15 PM, gooner1990 said:

I think we will probably just head in and go for the nearest quiet spot.  I'm not too bothered about being in the centre of the action anymore.

When do the queues start to die down on the Thursday these days?  Would prefer to be able to walk right in if possible!

Any time after 2pm is surely guaranteed to be quiet, but actually the queue was cleared by 11am last year, so might be even sooner, but you can never really say for sure.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:15 PM, gooner1990 said:

14 hours ago, Sku said:

Any time after 2pm is surely guaranteed to be quiet, but actually the queue was cleared by 11am last year, so might be even sooner, but you can never really say for sure.

We arrived at around half 10 last year, parked right in front of North Gate and there wasn't a queue.

How are ticket sales going? Hopefully it sells out.

34 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

We arrived at around half 10 last year, parked right in front of North Gate and there wasn't a queue.

How are ticket sales going? Hopefully it sells out.

They're offering quite a lot of discounted tickets to locals. Not sure if it's more than normal though. 

Does everything shut down at midnight on the Sunday these days? 

If so I’m tempted to have a quiet Sunday and drive home after as I’m only an hour or so from the site!

if some of the smaller stages are still going I’ll just go home early on the Monday morning.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Does everything shut down at midnight on the Sunday these days? 

If so I’m tempted to have a quiet Sunday and drive home after as I’m only an hour or so from the site!

if some of the smaller stages are still going I’ll just go home early on the Monday morning.

Pretty certain at midnight everything shuts down. Still plenty of people who try to keep it going but no actual sets or anything.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If the festival doesn't look like selling out, do they do day tickets? If last year was a sell out, I am hoping there wont be many less there. It was the kind of number. Not too busy, but created a good atmosphere.

I don't think the numbers will be that dissimilar to last year. They definitely won't sell day tickets either.