Where do you guys usually camp?

TKOCF

Used to always camp in Red at Leeds, in the wooded area behind Relentless. Was pretty noisy but was slightly more room down there because it was kinda hidden whilst still being in the thick of things.

Haven't camped there since 2016 though, volunteered in 2017 so was in the staff campsite and only went for a day in 2018. Probably won't ever again either as the festival doesn't appeal to me so much anymore.

A hotel in town since 2005 (at 27 years of age). 

Despite the changes to entry 5-6 years ago, it’s still only a 30 minute walk in, so prob still better than a number of the camp sites on that front

Orange in Reading here - great time, we were on the nearest field in orange last year. Really near the silent disco too which is nice.

Edited by gfa

• 2 months later...

Red in leeds always was a good middle ground between lively but still being able to sleep.

The last few years it's gotten a bit much though, not sure if its because I'm getting older or if more and more of the idiots are starting to camp in red (closest to the raves). 

This year I'll stay in Red but further away from Relentless if it's as bad as it was last year I'll consider moving to Blue or Purple

Went purple behind the funfair (Leeds) reluctantly in the first year due to taking everything in in one go, as we were dropped off and ended up loving it. 

Right near the nightlife, but there's never been any idiots up there, next to no mud in 2016 due to it being on a hill and the funfair finishes by the time we're in bed

Edited by jamieaslee

• 1 month later...

Going to Reading this year for the first time (thanks to Twickets!!) - we're slightly older than the target audience couple who've only been to Leeds so are pretty wary about this one thanks to what we've seen up north!

So firstly- is the tent burning ritual the same as at Leeds? And secondly - we dont want to be in family camping or anything like that but don't want to be somewhere absolutely mental - what's a good middle ground campsite?

Very excited to see Foos and Blossoms, and the girlfriend is looking forward to Royal Blood 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Going to Reading this year for the first time (thanks to Twickets!!) - we're slightly older than the target audience couple who've only been to Leeds so are pretty wary about this one thanks to what we've seen up north!

So firstly- is the tent burning ritual the same as at Leeds? And secondly - we dont want to be in family camping or anything like that but don't want to be somewhere absolutely mental - what's a good middle ground campsite?

Very excited to see Foos and Blossoms, and the girlfriend is looking forward to Royal Blood 

Tent burning hasn't really been a thing since about 2010 at either site - not how it was before or anywhere near that scale. White is family camping but honestly most of the other campsites are full of school leavers. Probably stick to Brown or maybe purple. On the second day last year the only campsite with space left was white apparently from what they were saying so your probably best heading straight to brown or maybe the nearest parts of white/far back purple.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 2:59 PM, efcfanwirral said:

Think the tent burning stuff stopped years ago.  Me and the other half will be way above the average age.  First reading was 1992 here.  Will camp in white.

On 8/4/2019 at 2:59 PM, efcfanwirral said:

You don't even really get tent burning at Leeds anymore. Think that stopped a couple years after it moved from Temple Newsam

9 minutes ago, MattM1993 said:

You don't even really get tent burning at Leeds anymore. Think that stopped a couple years after it moved from Temple Newsam

2007 was my last one and I came across people lying on their bags who'd been told to leave their tents or they'd get burned with them. Considering how even more downhill and violent the world in general has gone I'm genuinely surprised this doesnt still happen...

I remember in 2014 having a small camp fire going on Sunday night and the fire marshalls (or whoever came over; they looked like Ghostbusters) to our group and asked us to put it out because some idiot might come along and start burning tents.

So I think it was still happening but nowhere near to the extent it used to be.

Edited by aidenlangan95

Where I used to camp in Yellow back in 2005 to 2008 is now inside the arena, times have changed.

My favourite camp was the old yellow 6 that always made the Aerial Photos because it was literally right by the food vans before you enter the arena.

Switched to Green between 2009 and 2012, it was alright, no complaints but not the same, but my camp was about 4 times larger in 2005 and 2006 compared to even 2010.

Edited by robillustrates