Music earplug recommendations

MJP

Hi all

As in the title - can you recommend any earplugs for the festival?

Probably not looking to spend more than £20. :)

Cheers

Edit: Am looking for ones to take the edge off the music, rather than sleeping. ❤️

Edited by MJP

If it is just for sleeping then these are excellent - and can be found even cheaper on Ebay.
www.earplugshop.com/robinson-healthcare/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=01-Shopping&utm_term=4574724286631399&utm_content=All Products

If for wearing near music then I have no idea, sorry.

I’ve used Docs Pro Plugs for 25 years. Highly recommended. I first used them when I ran a Samba Band. I still use them when I’m at loud gigs and festivals.

They are easy to use, pretty invisible and take the loudness down without reducing the quality. They are designed for musicians and music industry. Less than £20. If you can go to your local musician shop, they should have all the sizes for you to try - from xtra small to Prince Charles.

And they come in a little box. Vented are good. Another option is fitted with a string  

If you are worried about your hearing condition, the NHS can test it for you. I’ve got partial loss in one ear probably from music in my early 20s when I used to put my head into bass bins.

The NHS can also take a mould of your ear and make you bespoke plugs - my Mrs did this as she has tinnitus from the Samba. (That’s how we met.... ahhhhh ♥️). 

Also, at gigs, the venue staff should have ear plugs available. If you want them, just ask a steward, at the bar, the sound desk, security etc. 

Look after your ears folks!!!!  Hearing loss / tinnitus is shit. 

BD05E4A6-1D7C-412F-B4D9-443E4860B2BF.jpeg.8fb97b2cb521aa39a87c930edb467a6b.jpeg

Edited by ian the worm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

I’ve used Docs Pro Plugs for 25 years. Highly recommended. I first used them when I ran a Samba Band. I still use them when I’m at loud gigs and festivals.

They are easy to use, pretty invisible and take the loudness down without reducing the quality. They are designed for musicians and music industry. Less than £20. If you can go to your local musician shop, they should have all the sizes for you to try - from xtra small to Prince Charles.

And they come in a little box. Vented are good. Another option is fitted with a string  

If you are worried about your hearing condition, the NHS can test it for you. I’ve got partial loss in one ear probably from music in my early 20s when I used to put my head into bass bins.

The NHS can also take a mould of your ear and make you bespoke plugs - my Mrs did this as she has tinnitus from the Samba. (That’s how we met.... ahhhhh ♥️). 

Also, at gigs, the venue staff should have ear plugs available. If you want them, just ask a steward, at the bar, the sound desk, security etc. 

Look after your ears folks!!!!  Hearing loss / tinnitus is shit. 

I never knew they did this?

Wow, might speak to them next time at the drop off service as I have to wear hearing aids as ears b*ggered (hereditary no less) and because my hearing is bad I now suffer from tinnitus too :( So good to hear that you can get bespoken ear plugs :) 

Really need to do this myself, already have poor hearing and wear aids. Have done since I was a kid. Take them out in gigs and bars and think it won’t get any worse as it hasn’t declined in years but realise I do after look after my hearing more as I get older. Tinnitus is a twat but have lived with it for a long time too, wearing aids more does sort it out a bit. 

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

I never knew they did this?

Wow, might speak to them next time at the drop off service as I have to wear hearing aids as ears b*ggered (hereditary no less) and because my hearing is bad I now suffer from tinnitus too :( So good to hear that you can get bespoken ear plugs :) 

25 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

Really need to do this myself, already have poor hearing and wear aids. Have done since I was a kid. Take them out in gigs and bars and think it won’t get any worse as it hasn’t declined in years but realise I do after look after my hearing more as I get older. Tinnitus is a twat but have lived with it for a long time too, wearing aids more does sort it out a bit. 

I wasn't aware of this either. Severe hearing loss since 2006 due to Ménière's disease, I have hearing aids in both ears but in reality I am word deaf in one ear. One thing I recently discovered is that there are different settings available on some NHS aids. I have found directional a great help in situations when you are facing the person you are speaking to, going to try music next! 

Edited by StoneCircle
  • Upvote 1

I use the Earpeace HD’s which I find to be pretty decent and comfortable - https://www.earpeace.co.uk/ also got a pair of Alpine music safes which are good as well (I thought I had lost my Earpeaces so bought the Alpines) I find they really help these days, especially when going to bed, not having the low hum at bedtime is a real treat. 

13 hours ago, MJP said:

Hi all

As in the title - can you recommend any earplugs for the festival?

Probably not looking to spend more than £20. :)

Cheers

Edit: Am looking for ones to take the edge off the music, rather than sleeping. ❤️

I don't go to a gig or club without wearing these and I highly recommend them. Been using them for about five years now. Often get funny looks when I put them in but I couldn't care less. Think I paid around £25 for them and they have various filter inserts to suit the level of sound reduction.

alpine-musicsafe-pro-ear-plugs-black-260900.jpg

High info post incoming

Trouble with wanting them for music is most are very uneven in their attenuation

best-ear-plugs-comparison-graph.png

Finding low-attenuation ones that do so evenly is the big problem, or the music sounds weird. Unfortunately unless you're a musician the proper ones are quite expensive 
https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/hearing-protection/pro-series/pro-17

acs-hearing-protection-specifications.pn

but £40 if you go via https://www.musicianshearingservices.co.uk/what-we-do/musicans-hearing-health-scheme/

I know it's over the £20 you said but if you find you keep getting driven mad by the way things sound through them hopefully useful to know. Out of the sensible price ones the Eardials seem by far the most even - some smooth extra attenuation on the high end is fine as it seems most sound engineers lost that shit decades ago and mixes are normally pretty damn hot up there. Might have to get some of those for higher risk use...

For high attenuation right in front of the stacks though the Flare Isolates are unbeatable - still flat attenuation but at >37dB you can stand in front of rigs that feel like they'll shake your eyes to jelly and be fine. About £24.99 I think

edit> doc's pro plugs 

dbchart.jpg

Edited by frostypaw

• 1 year later...

Not sure if that account is a advert bot....

Anyway I'll post because I can highly recommend Eggz earplugs.https://eggzearplugs.com/

Bought them after Glastonbury last year when I could still hear the chemical brothers a week later.

Genuinely no loss in sound quality it's just all a little bit quieter. Reasonably priced at about £15.

would recommend.

On 4/4/2019 at 1:14 PM, frostypaw said:

For high attenuation right in front of the stacks though the Flare Isolates are unbeatable - still flat attenuation but at >37dB you can stand in front of rigs that feel like they'll shake your eyes to jelly and be fine. About £24.99 I think

I have the Flare Isolates and think they're great. Absolutely did the business the last time I saw Mogwai.

On 4/4/2019 at 7:53 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I don't go to a gig or club without wearing these and I highly recommend them. Been using them for about five years now. Often get funny looks when I put them in but I couldn't care less. Think I paid around £25 for them and they have various filter inserts to suit the level of sound reduction.

These have been my go-to for years. Really do make a difference.

I believe all venues and festivals should offer the foam ones for free. 

7 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Talking of ears, I recently got diagnosed with Menieres Disease.

The ENT consultant tested my hearing my jittering his finger on my ear flap whilst whispering “cup cake” or “beach hut” into it. 

Pervert. 

Says a lot for the funding of our NHS when the consultant has to whisper sweet nothings in your ear rather than use some piece of high tech equipment.  As for my hearing I’ve spent 50 years with my ears being bombarded with heavy rock music including countless gigs  from bands such as Deep Purple, Sabbath ACDC etc, absolutely ear splitting volume especially in the early days. Ears  ringing for days after the gigs. Doesn’t seem to have affected me too much. 

On 4/3/2019 at 7:06 PM, Gedh said:

Sorry

Etymotic Research ETY-Plugs High Fidelity Earplugs - Frost Tip, Standard Fit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0015WJQ7A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_AypPCbC87Z3JZ

On 4/4/2019 at 7:53 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've used both of these for band rehearsals with a very loud drummer. I find the Etumotic ones really uncomfortable, so much so they make my bears hurt. The Alpine obes though can last a 3 hour rehearsal with no issues.

Another one to consider are Flame Isolate. I thought they were rubbish at first, until I realised I was using the wrong size foams, now I think they're great.

11 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Says a lot for the funding of our NHS when the consultant has to whisper sweet nothings in your ear rather than use some piece of high tech equipment.  As for my hearing I’ve spent 50 years with my ears being bombarded with heavy rock music including countless gigs  from bands such as Deep Purple, Sabbath ACDC etc, absolutely ear splitting volume especially in the early days. Ears  ringing for days after the gigs. Doesn’t seem to have affected me too much. 

This was through BUPA. 😝 

• Like 1