Dissertation Survey - Exploring the Role Environmental Sustainability Plays on Attendee Motivations for Music Festivals with a Comparison of Glastonbury and Reading Festivals

Linds11

Hey everyone 1f642.png:)

I am a 3rd year Events Management student (Who has had the pleasure of attending Glastonbury 3 times) and and as part of my dissertation I have prepared the below survey. I would GREATLY appreciate if you could spare just 5 minutes of your time to take a look and complete the survey.

This research aims to explore whether environmental sustainability influences people’s decisions to attend music festivals while considering the opinions of attendees on their concern for the environment. I am also focusing on comparing attendees thoughts on how eco-friendly Glastonbury and/or Reading festival may be. So please can ONLY those who have attended a music festival in the last 10 years complete the survey, particularly those that have attended Glastonbury or Reading (or Leeds) Festivals.

now completed.

Interesting - it's always been my feeling that although Glastonbury bangs on about looking after the environment (and I'm a Worthy Warrior), attending both, it's clear that Reading quietly re-cycles whereas G has recently put in schemes because its future was at stake. Both are utter disasters for the environment. Glastonbury is much better at marketing itself as green but comparing the post-headliner mess, Reading wins on being greener.

Oh, and thanks for just having 40+, I feel young again!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

now completed.

Interesting - it's always been my feeling that although Glastonbury bangs on about looking after the environment (and I'm a Worthy Warrior), attending both, it's clear that Reading quietly re-cycles whereas G has recently put in schemes because its future was at stake. Both are utter disasters for the environment. Glastonbury is much better at marketing itself as green but comparing the post-headliner mess, Reading wins on being greener.

what? Is this an April's fool? Having been to both since the nineties regularly I'm at a loss to work out why you think Glastonbury has only recently been recycling?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 5co77ie said:

what? Is this an April's fool? Having been to both since the nineties regularly I'm at a loss to work out why you think Glastonbury has only recently been recycling?

I am an april goon. I've been going to both since 2010, a bit before for Reading. And, for me it is utterly depressing to see the field of waste that is the Other or Pyramid post-headliner. Not saying that Reading is much better but I really feel that the crap/sq.m at Reading is less than at Glastonbury. Hopefully the plastics ban will make a huge difference. I'd also like to see paper cup recycling.

I'm a WW because of the amount of crap, maybe I see too much of it, maybe I get pissed off that the whole ethos at Glastonbury is green and yet the punters leave a trail of crap worse than at other festivals I attend (I do download too - also pretty good).

Done :) Good luck with the rest of the year. I graduated in Events Management last year and I analysed spiritual tourism in Glastonbury (the town, but touched on connections with the festival) for my diss. If I can help at all let me know.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 2:22 PM, hfuhruhurr said:

now completed.

I left my tent at Reading last year. I wish I hadn't now. It was one of those big Eurohikes, I got it really cheap. In all the chaos I thought it wasn't worth taking home. I stayed in a hotel and was coming back on the train, the next day. I noticed all the tents were still there. If people were allowed to go and retrieve their tents, the next day, I reckon hundreds would do it. These tents were in the press, a few weeks later; as they had remained there that long.

3 minutes ago, stt11 said:

I left my tent at Reading last year. I wish I hadn't now. It was one of those big Eurohikes, I got it really cheap. In all the chaos I thought it wasn't worth taking home. I stayed in a hotel and was coming back on the train, the next day. I noticed all the tents were still there. If people were allowed to go and retrieve their tents, the next day, I reckon hundreds would do it. These tents were in the press, a few weeks later; as they had remained there that long.

I bet they wouldn't.

13 minutes ago, stt11 said:

If people were allowed to go and retrieve their tents, the next day, I reckon hundreds would do it.

You'd get maybe, if you're really lucky, 20 people going back the first time you did it.. and given that most tents worth going back for would have been tatted or stripped for parts by the following day, few of those 20 would be inclined to do it the following year.