Driving Experiences?

Seldom Seen Kid

Hi guys,

After some advice/reassurance.  

Normally I get the coach from Manchester to the festival, and arrive at the gates by 8am on Wednesday.  It's a journey I'm comfortable with but this year I'm going with someone who hates coaches, so it looks like we will be driving instead.  I really don't fancy the idea of queuing overnight in the carparks, but likewise, I won't want us to end up being late in and missing half the day.  We'll be coming from Lancashire and I normally head to Hitchin Hill/surrounding fields to camp.  Is there a gate that would be best for us to aim for? What can we expect the journey to the carpark and onto site to be like?  Any hints or tips?  Like I said, I normally get the coach so it's totally new to me!

Thanks

Looking where Hitching Hill is you would be better at gate A or gate B . A is accessed from the car parks on the west side  (it's the gate you will use when arriving by coach) B is accessed from the east side .

Not sure if that really helps but it is worth doing your homework and trying to work out which side of the festival is best for you.

We camp on Hitchin Hill and from experience have found using West parking and entering through Gate A is much easier. In 2017 we set off from Stafford at ca. 7:30am and were parked by noon, having had 2 stops on route. We used the M5 to Bridgewater then A39 to Glastonbury then Pilton. We were very surprised as traffic on the A39 was very light being almost non-existent from Glastonbury. The queue entering the car park was 1 car long!

We had to walk for approx 15-20mins to Gate A but on the day it depends which west car park you're directed to. Once at Gate A we queued for ca. 45 mins to get in. The walk to Hitchin Hill area is 10-15 mins, depending how heavy your laden.

In 2008 we used East car parking and found the drag from Gate B more strenuous as height is initially lost going down the track beside Big Ground before turning at the junction above Kidney Mead. The route is then all up hill with a gradual rise to Lulu's cafe/Michael Mead followed by an exacting climb up the much steeper incline alongside Spring Ground to Hitchin.