Emily vs. The Gammons

CaledonianGonzo

32 minutes ago, DJL said:

Was wondering what your take on Emily’s comments is, as you know her and presumably the stage bookers?

I'm not really sure what there is to say.

A lot of the bookers are older than her (and she's no youngster nowadays), and just because of how they're used to doing things they sound resistant to changing how they do things. And Emily seems quite up for challenging them. The situation is much as I thought it would be, on both sides.

I wrote a piece (published on here as news) more than a decade ago suggesting that Michael got some younger blood running the stages, and while some faces have changed it's not that many. You get the more-modern attitudes with younger people,

And once upon a time - nearly 20 years ago - I'd have said that Emily would have problems challenging or facing down the old guard, but for well over a decade I've felt there's no worries on that score and the article seems to confirm that. All power to her.

But I'd say Emily is stuck in her own similar rut much like the bookers. The last couple of gigs she's been spotted at by efesters has been Lauryn Hill and Doves, and she's just booked the killers to headline in 2019. I reckon you can spot a theme there. :P 

Due to my work shifts I can never make many music plans for Glasto. So instead I try to pick a theme each year and treat each act that I get to see as a bonus / reward for my working. 

In 2014, before this issue was raised too widely I decided that I would only see female fronted bands. The choice was more limited than now but I still saw all or parts of Dolly, Lana, Lily, ESG, Yoko, Suzanne Vega, Warpaint, Goldfrapp, MIA, St Vincent, Blondie, Cortney Barnett, Tune Yards etc. 

Just now, ian the worm said:

Due to my work shifts I can never make many music plans for Glasto. So instead I try to pick a theme each year and treat each act that I get to see as a bonus / reward for my working. 

In 2014, before this issue was raised too widely I decided that I would only see female fronted bands. The choice was more limited than now but I still saw all or parts of Dolly, Lana, Lily, ESG, Yoko, Suzanne Vega, Warpaint, Goldfrapp, MIA, St Vincent, Blondie, Cortney Barnett, Tune Yards etc. 

Good year for female artists. I saw most of those. I think without any deliberate intent I saw more female led bands than male.

Despite Arcade Fire being full of men, I suspect the curly haired one is in charge.

Always good to see that the same people who remain silent to the rampant normalised Islamophobia, sexism, homo/bi/queerphobia, transphobia and all the other innumerable forms of casual discrimination which exist unashamedly in our society's mainstream discourse can find the time to pipe up and tell us about how calling people Gammons is just the same as racism, actually.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 9

1 hour ago, mazola said:

I'm getting worried, how do i know if I am a Gammon?

I'm 47 and definitely starting to look a bit Gammony. Is there a test I can take?

Did you vote for brexit? A - yes, B - No,  Other - C

Do you think they should free Tommeh? A - yes, B - No,  Other - C

Do you get mad when patriarchy is called out? A - yes, B - No,  Other - C

Answers all A - definitely Gammon

Answers all B - Definitely not Gammon

Answers all C - Splinters on the fence Gammon

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, eFestivals said:

A lot of the bookers are older than her (and she's no youngster nowadays), and just because of how they're used to doing things they sound resistant to changing how they do things. And Emily seems quite up for challenging them. The situation is much as I thought it would be, on both sides.

I wrote a piece (published on here as news) more than a decade ago suggesting that Michael got some younger blood running the stages, and while some faces have changed it's not that many. You get the more-modern attitudes with younger people,

And once upon a time - nearly 20 years ago - I'd have said that Emily would have problems challenging or facing down the old guard, but for well over a decade I've felt there's no worries on that score and the article seems to confirm that. All power to her.

But I'd say Emily is stuck in her own similar rut much like the bookers. The last couple of gigs she's been spotted at by efesters has been Lauryn Hill and Doves, and she's just booked the killers to headline in 2019. I reckon you can spot a theme there. :P 

Thank you for the detailed response - really interesting and informative about the changes in power dynamics over the years. 

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

Questions 2 and 3 are an easy No.

Question 1 I'm a bit ashamed of.

At the time i didn't take it seriously, I knew I'd be at Glastonbury and to be honest, didn't really know enough about it to make an informed choice.

I didn't fully grasp the impact until the result went round at Glastonbury, only then did I start paying attention and by then it was too late.

One thing is for sure, if the vote had taken place 1 week later I would have voted remain.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, mazola said:

Questions 2 and 3 are an easy No.

Question 1 I'm a bit ashamed of.

At the time i didn't take it seriously, I knew I'd be at Glastonbury and to be honest, didn't really know enough about it to make an informed choice.

I didn't fully grasp the impact until the result went round at Glastonbury, only then did I start paying attention and by then it was too late.

One thing is for sure, if the vote had taken place 1 week later I would have voted remain.

Let's hope that you (and all of us) get a second chance soon.

2 hours ago, H.M.V said:

I've passed the test with flying colours ?

On 3/30/2019 at 7:51 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Wasn’t that just a reaction to the increasing popularity of grunge?

Which is funny considering how much better the American rock was at the time.

I'd take Soundgarden, Smashing Pumkins, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam over any of the brit pop bands. 

On 3/31/2019 at 9:50 AM, eFestivals said:

I think everyone feels the most nostalgia for the music they listened to as a teen/early 20's. There just are a section of people who never get past it and once they reach a certain age have this music isn't as good as it was in my day attitude. It's fine to go to the nostalgia gigs if you are also going to and listening to new stuff and don't have a closed mind to it. It's when people only listen to 1 genre and are deaf to all others and think their genre is superior that the problems exist. As someone who grew up loving indie/rock music they are some of the genres that seem to attract the worst of these types. Sadly there are lot of people who think white men with guitars are just the epitome of great music and nothing else rivals it. 

That is the attitude that needs eliminating!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think everyone feels the most nostalgia for the music they listened to as a teen/early 20's. There just are a section of people who never get past it and once they reach a certain age have this music isn't as good as it was in my day attitude. It's fine to go to the nostalgia gigs if you are also going to and listening to new stuff and don't have a closed mind to it. It's when people only listen to 1 genre and are deaf to all others and think their genre is superior that the problems exist. As someone who grew up loving indie/rock music they are some of the genres that seem to attract the worst of these types. Sadly there are lot of people who think white men with guitars are just the epitome of great music and nothing else rivals it. 

It's really hard.  I think I managed to delay it a bit, but there's a reason I'm looking at clash city already this year - I'm 40 and most of the acts I'm in to have been knocking around long enough to be likely to headline a stage.  

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Finishing off, I was merely pointing out that we all have our ruts we get stuck in, to try and underline that's probably all it is with the bookers - rather than it being driven by anything else (such as sexism, to relate it back to Emily's complaint of too few female acts).