Emily vs. The Gammons

CaledonianGonzo

4 minutes ago, stt11 said:

I totally blame Britpop for the, Gammon, stuff. That is, if I am using the term, Gammon, as intended by the previous users of the term; on this thread. Britpop bands haven't aged well at all. I don't blame Noel Gallagher for replacing, the whole of Oasis with women; but he's got a long way to go. I still think Noel Gallagher will be liable when, the history of Gammon ridden Oasis past, comes to light.

Two Words, Lauryn Hill, if you have a ticket then you must go.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bamber said:

Twitter, Facebook etc. is poison All of it. Do not partake, the majority of humanity is still not on it, thankfully, those of of you who are need to ditch it now,

I'll ditch them when they invent an equally effective way of delivering Simpsons memes to my eyes.

2 hours ago, stt11 said:

I totally blame Britpop for the, Gammon, stuff. That is, if I am using the term, Gammon, as intended by the previous users of the term; on this thread. Britpop bands haven't aged well at all. I don't blame Noel Gallagher for replacing, the whole of Oasis with women; but he's got a long way to go. I still think Noel Gallagher will be liable when, the history of Gammon ridden Oasis past, comes to light.

Nah Oasis were brilliant at the start when most people into them were just indie music fans (see the crowd for their 94 Glasto set or Live by the Sea),  a lot of their so called "gammon" fans only really showed after they (and most of the other britpop bands) had already peaked and in decline yet they are still incapable to move on (hence every other artist or genre is derided or met with a "who?") 

11 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

Nah Oasis were brilliant at the start when most people into them were just indie music fans (see the crowd for their 94 Glasto set or Live by the Sea),  a lot of their so called "gammon" fans only really showed after they (and most of the other britpop bands) had already peaked and in decline yet they are still incapable to move on (hence every other artist or genre is derided or met with a "who?") 

The band members aren't entirely blameless.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIWQftGiLzM4uUo9nCzFy

Edited by stuartbert two hats
bans -> band

Oasis and their fascination and fixation on looking backwards to some ‘golden age’ are definitely part of the problem, and that’s before we even get started on that Union Jack guitar.

Funny time, the early-mid 90s. Suede, Blur, Oasis all somewhat guilty of a weird sort of patriotism, manifesting itself as anti-American sentiment. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Oasis and their fascination and fixation on looking backwards to some ‘golden age’ are definitely part of the problem, and that’s before we even get started on that Union Jack guitar.

Funny time, the early-mid 90s. Suede, Blur, Oasis all somewhat guilty of a weird sort of patriotism, manifesting itself as anti-American sentiment. 

select-yanks-go-home.jpg

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Wasn’t that just a reaction to the increasing popularity of grunge?

8 hours ago, bamber said:

It was never meant to be that all of humanity could shout out loudly to everyone everywhere. Think about the implications of that. Poison.

All the ills of the world are rooted in Social media (this place excepted :))

I thought it was religion? 

1 hour ago, themuel said:

I thought it was religion? 

That too. Facebook and Twitter have concurrent similarities with religion and the history thereof. It should not take a genius to figure this out, though it seems it does. Listen very carefully to what Mr Hitchens has to say, because it is the truth. There is a a genetic element to both Racism and Religion in my opinion, yet both afflictions can be overcome through the simple application of universal (scientific) education, free for all the point of delivery, everywhere in all nations. Sorted.

Edited by bamber
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, priest17 said:

I'll ditch them when they invent an equally effective way of delivering Simpsons memes to my eyes.

The thing is you won't. You are likely addicted.Think about it. Would you be happy if your children 'friended' someone you consider a deviant on there? This happens every day. If you are a kid then likely you have monstrous deviants as your 'friends' and you would not know. Every C*unt has a voice now, and that does not end well. Look at some of the bullshit I post here, and I'm relatively normal.

Poison.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Wasn’t that just a reaction to the increasing popularity of grunge?

Sure, that was definitely part of it, which, in itself is ridiculous, but there was also a kind of yearning to turn back the clock, to some fictional, romanticised version of England, that never really existed. So many things going on at that point, the anti-grunge thing, the fact that much of the uk was embracing dance music, the increasing irrelevance of guitar bands. It was a time of upheaval and change, which often leads to a conservative (with a small ‘c’) backlash.