Your Glastonbury Songs

The Clearest Blue

This year will be my fifth Glastonbury, so I have plenty of memorable sets and memories from the farm. But there are certain songs that as soon as I hear them, take me straight back to the moment I heard them at Glastonbury.

The most notable of these for me are:
Elbow - One Day Like This A Year, seeing this on the telly a few years before was definitely the crunch point that made me think 'christ I have to go and experience that festival'. It was my first Glastonbury and Elbow played as the sun was setting on the Pyramid just before my first experience of a Pyramid headliner. It was magical!

Libertines - What a Waster, just reminds be of the excitement in the build up to that set of who is was going to be and then jumping around like a bellend with all my mates singing along.

Avalanches - Frankie Sinatra,  had a rough morning as my GF was unwell from the night before and this song was when we finally got back into the swing of things and began to enjoy the day again.

Coldplay - Up&Up, yes I know, not a forum favourite, but it had been an emotional festival throughout due to Brexit and the mud, the atmosphere in the crowd that evening was amazing and I made friends with the women next to me. We were both in floods of tears for Fix You as she'd just found out her friend had pasted away in a car accident by text, this song lifted us back up!

I have quite a few more but what are your Glastonbury Songs?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Cosmic Rough Riders - Glastonbury Revisited.

Just from when it was on the DVD, which must have watched a fair few times. Always start singing it when we get tickets, start packing up the tent.... any possible Glastonbury related activity!

EDIT - not even ever heard it at G!

Edited by Yokel Again

Ahem. Gather round children.

Tender by Blur - my first Glastonbury, and while the whole weekend was amazing that singalong that just carried on over the end of the song and into the night was just pure magic.  Every time I hear it on the radio I find my searching youtube for that live video.

Mucky Weekend by Dub Pistols - never knew they existed until I started checking efests for lineup rumours and saw them on there ahead of 2015.  Listened to a few tracks beforehand, and decided it was worth braving the rain and getting a cross to the Glade.  Turned up just as they were kicking off Mucky weekend, just remember dancing in the rain surrounded by unbridled joy.  Magic.

T-Shirt Weather by Circa Waves - same year, stood in JPT trying to avoid the massive boggy patch to the right of the stage. As they hit the "It's gonna be OK" refrain the sun broke through the clouds and everything went nuts.

EDIT missed one...

We Are Your Friends by Justice - as mentioned elsewhere my first headline set with fellow efesters, lovely lovely memory.  It wasn't the same moment, but puts me straight back to the end of the set where he was standing on the crowd, waving a French flag, smoking a cigarette....just the most French thing I could have imagined

Edited by Quark

Going to California - Robert Plant - Pyramid Stage, 2014. The clouds broke for the first time that day and rays of sunshine burst through almost at the same moment as those opening acoustic chords were played. Emotional.

Dedicated Follower of Fashion - Ray Davies - Acoustic Stage, 2009. Surrounded by my lifelong friends all of whom grew up listening to the same music, it was an amazing moment. The last Glastonbury that we all enjoyed together. 

Born Slippy - Underworld - West Holts, 2016. THE anthem of my generation played at the festival of my generation.

Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve - Pyramid Stage, 2008. That speech beforehand by RA was as poignant as the tune that followed.

To the End - Blur - Pyramid Stage, 2009. The highlight of the greatest Pyramid headline set since Bowie.

Mucky Weekend - Dub Pistols - whatever stage they play it - always THE definitive Glastonbury igniter for me.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Mucky Weekend by Dub Pistols - never knew they existed until I started checking efests for lineup rumours and saw them on there ahead of 2015.  Listened to a few tracks beforehand, and decided it was worth braving the rain and getting a cross to the Glade.  Turned up just as they were kicking off Mucky weekend, just remember dancing in the rain surrounded by unbridled joy.  Magic.

Yes sir! And it looks as though they'll be back this year! Oh. No. Here we go again...

• Upvote 1

The first year I watched Glastonbury on the TV was 2003.  I remember watching the Flaming Lips and Radiohead and being completely in awe.  Particularly during Race for the Prize, with all the people on stage and the sun setting.  So that song is something I very much associate with the festival.

My first year of actually attending was 2014, and my first headliner was Arcade Fire on the Friday night.  I remember watching with my mate Tim and feeling so in awe of everything around me.  Rebellion (Lies) was the highlight at the time, or maybe Wake Up.  Those I definitely associate with Glasto.

Similarly, the year that the Manics started with Motorcycle Emptiness and the whole crowd went mad.

I've got into watching old sets on YouTube a lot, and finding live audio recordings from Glasto from the 80s and early 90s, as well as reading the reviews from the time.  There are certain recordings where you can feel the magic of the festival without needing to see it.  The Pixies playing Where Is My Mind in 1989 and The Orb playing Little Fluffy Clouds in 1993 are two such moments for sure.

At some point I'd love to try to make some sort of Glasto wiki with links to the available recordings or videos of sets throughout the years, tied into the setlists from setlist.fm... but I'm not sure of the legalities regarding copyright...

23 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Going to California - Robert Plant - Pyramid Stage, 2014. The clouds broke for the first time that day and rays of sunshine burst through almost at the same moment as those opening acoustic chords were played. Emotional.

Dedicated Follower of Fashion - Ray Davies - Acoustic Stage, 2009. Surrounded by my lifelong friends all of whom grew up listening to the same music, it was an amazing moment. The last Glastonbury that we all enjoyed together. 

Born Slippy - Underworld - West Holts, 2016. THE anthem of my generation played at the festival of my generation.

Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve - Pyramid Stage, 2008. That speech beforehand by RA was as poignant as the tune that followed.

To the End - Blur - Pyramid Stage, 2009. The highlight of the greatest Pyramid headline set since Bowie.

Mucky Weekend - Dub Pistols - whatever stage they play it - always THE definitive Glastonbury igniter for me.

didn't get the speech but I got some shockingly bad instagram style videoing :) .... Its the only song ive ever recorded at Glastonbury 

So many songs that I instantly connect with Glastonbury.

Lots from the Blur set but in particular Tender, The Universal, To The End & Out of Time.   Just magical moments that will never be beaten.

Broken Bells - The High Road.    I wasn't planning on seeing them and didn't catch the whole set.   Ended up at the Park Stage early for The XX and just sat on the top of the hill.   I'd not even heard this song before and it was just a perfect, beautiful moment for me.   A moment of calm in the middle of a crazy weekend and I always picture the Park stage and the Glastonbury sunset whenever I hear this now.

Kenny Rogers - The Gambler. So good he played it twice.   Just great vibes, a song I've known since childhood but now associate with the festival.

Crystal Fighters - Plage.   The John Peel set in 2014 is one of my all time favourite sets, everybody in the tent (and indeed the bloke dancing in the rain outside of it) was just so happy and having the time of their life.  I remember thinking during this song that I couldn't imagine ever being happier than I was in that moment.   

Everything Everything - No Reptiles.   I didn't catch the Williams Green set but this was absolutely glorious on the Other Stage.  The album had only been out for a week or so and the majority of the crowd were unfamiliar with this song.  It was great to see a song become a hit as it went on - by the end it felt like an anthem.

Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting On You).  Glorious sunshine, incredible performance, brilliant audience.

Patti Smith - People Have The Power.   Just properly summed up what Glastonbury means to me and what makes it such a special place.

I could reel off loads of others from memorable sets (Portishead 'Wandering Star', King Gizz 'Rattlesnake', Father John Misty 'I Love You Honeybear', Adele 'Hello', Pixies 'Where Is My Mind?', The XX 'I Dare You', Lorde 'Perfect Places', Bon Iver 'The Wolves').

The first songs that come to mind are from my first Glastonbury, 2003, I absolutely loved all 3 headliners (How times have changed, not as good blah blah...):

REM Losing My Religion

Radiohead Kharma Police

Moby Porcelain

And, with dubious taste, I have to name-check the first band I saw at Glastonbury:

The Darkness - Love On The Rocks With No Ice

And, even more dodgy, the band I've seen the most:

Hobo Jones & The Junkyard Dogs - American Idiot

Biffy playing medicine on the pyramid in 2017. Not even a massive fan of theirs but remember standing up on the hill in the sun and almost having a wee cry because it was the last day and I had to leave Sunday night. 

Foo fighters Everlong on pyramid in 2017

Elbow - Lippy Kids 2014

Waterboys - Whole of the moon in 2015

Chems - Saturate 2015

Radiohead - All of their 2017 set

Just a few that stand out, loads more but these ones sprung to mind right away.

Edited by Dave_c

55 minutes ago, carpdreamer said:

The first year I watched Glastonbury on the TV was 2003.  I remember watching the Flaming Lips and Radiohead and being completely in awe.  Particularly during Race for the Prize, with all the people on stage and the sun setting.  So that song is something I very much associate with the festival.

My favourite Glastonbury. Hadn't really heard much from the FLips before seeing them on the Pyramid that evening - it was brilliant. Remember walking through the crowd to get to the loo whilst everyone was singing Waitin for Superman, and wondering why I'd not got into them before. What an amazing evening.

Jamie XX - Loud places (2015) 

Coldplay - Charlie Brown (2011) - sorry not sorry!

Chemical Brothers - Swoon (2015) - probably the one I think back to most when I think of Glastonbury. The sky was pink and the pyro in fact did add to the atmosphere. Albeit one burning a hole in my jacket.