Your unofficial - official start to the festival

JoeyT

We set off on Monday and stay overnight in a campsite behind a pub, so meeting up with friends there highers the excitement levels. As we are in the East campervan fields we set up on Tuesday and that is the start of the festival for me.

Seeing old friends, having a BBQ and a few drinks, everyone around you is so excited about whats to follow. :party:

There is no sweeter beer than the one cracked after finally getting your tent up. 

Seeing Glastonbury from a distance, being in the queues and getting your wristband are all moments where it starts to feel real but it's only when I'm set up can I feel that the festival can properly begin.

I'm getting bloody excited now.  The next 90 odd days can not go quick enough!

My key excitement bits are

1. Stopping at Gloucester services to pick up some bits to eat when we arrive

2. Queuing to get into the campervan fields

3. Getting everything set up and finally getting to sit down

4. The BBQ or Picnic the night before

5. The queue to get in. 

6. The first sit down up at the park by the Glastonbury sign then you know you're home!!

• Upvote 1

There's a few mini moments on the way; sitting in Manchester coach station on the Tuesday night with other festival people, the final approach on the bus in the morning and getting the wristband on, but  I'm a bundle of mixed emotions until I'm in. The real start is once the tent is up and a drink is in hand, I'm sat on the grass and feeling like I'm home.

Just now, giantkatestacks said:

Normally on the coach coming round that corner and getting your first glimpse of the site. I always want to start whooping but noone else makes a noise so I am whooping inside my head.

Exactly this. Craning my neck to get that first sight. Usually the JP tent or something. I almost burst with excitement at that point. Then remember there’s an hour of queuing, lugging the gear across site and putting the tent up. But just for that briefest of moments, as the medieval view of those tents and flags and bunting appears framed by the hedgerows, ah man, if i could bottle that...

I'm usually a bundle of nervous energy all the way through till Thursday. I rarely get a proper nights sleep on  Monday with the anticipation, so I'm knackered on Tuesday. Then it's the 9pm drive through the night in our convoy, with loads of delays due to our negligence in checking to see if the route has  over night closures (3 years on the trot that's happened!!).

The fun starts as soon as the car is parked up. A few cans and hugs meeting up with our pals from Sheffield, then to get stuck into the queue.

Walking past the long drops at Gate C with a new wristband, and getting inside the site, through to Avalon and the Park, with a drink. The long drops themselves aren't the highlight, except for the door bangs.

A sentimental moment for that noise.

4 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

It’s my text alert tone. I’m never changing it...

:)

Ben

I am definitely going to make a recording of that wonderful sound this year. Incredible how you become immune to it after the first day. Remember blackadders quote, going like a privy door when the plagues in town. 

Finally packing up car, putting tickets in bag and setting off at 6am to drive through Dorset villages  on our traditional route cross country - usually getting stuck behind a milk lorry on the way- when we drive past Castle Cary station and see all the queues of people lining up for the shuttle and then pass the drop off point at BWSG and put the car park sticker on and know we are nearly there! 

The excitement kind of begins for me when I get on the plane from Canada. I tend to go somewhere beforehand (greece this year) but that's the first hint that vacation had started. I get excited again when I get to London and buy all my food/liquor etc supplies. Shopping in your stores is different and it's super exciting to buy/try new stuff.

The morning, the train, the line, the bus, the line, the bracelet (not excited yet but its building). Theres a slight relief after the bracelet is done. The trek to the camping spot... popping up the tent and throwing everything in. That's the moment for me. Holy shit we made it again and we're here and the entire festival is in front of us. 

• Like 1