Other Stage Shooting

Wooderson

36 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

See this is the sort of thread we need Russy back for. He'd tell us all that the threat of violence made the festival a lot better than it is these days.

in many ways it did.

As on old git I'm quite happy with today's safe festival, but the edge it used to have was what helped it become what it is today, to stand out as special.

48 minutes ago, Username taken said:

Any cheap options you could recommend? Might need 4G so my I can WhatsApp my group.

I just picked up a Nokia 130 a couple of years ago.  No apps so you won't be getting WhatsApp, but the battery lasts 5 days without even breaking a sweat.  The complete lack of any kind of internet or the like also means that you can only use it for comms, no temptation to get sucked back into the outside / online world. Definitely recommended.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Mardy said:

I was there, but can't remember that much about it. My recollection is we were in the markets, somewhere between the Other and Pyramid, sort of round where the bandstand/ Bread and Roses is these days. There was a load of screaming and shouting and then a mass exodus from the Other stage, obviously loads of rumours etc floating around 'Someone's been shot' etc etc. Looking back, the most extraordinary thing is that things seemed to return to normal pretty quickly. I guess the fact that no-one had phones, could pass on the news, and no worried phone calls from parents etc means that it all calmed down and receded in an extraordinarily short amount of time and every one carried on with their weekend. As I say, that's just how I remember it, though. 

Very similar, it wasn't the only year that I heard a story of a shooting, but think it was (maybe?) the only time one had actually happened.

Nice to see the brief clip of Johnny Cash :) 

2 hours ago, Username taken said:

Any cheap options you could recommend? Might need 4G so my I can WhatsApp my group.

Blackberry Q10 - with everything but the essentials turned off, will last at least a couple of days, and you can easily swap the battery out.  You can run Whatsapp on it (with a bit of fuss to get it installed, but google helps!).  Has an actual keyboard, and goes for about £25 on ebay, plus a few quid for a second battery.

6 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Love the nonchalance with which Michael discusses this on the interviews. Doesnt give a bellix.

"Oh some poor randomers were shot in a field somewhere. Its all good tho. No one is dead. Did you see Bjeeerk? Some show."

That was very much the mood of the site, nobody paid it much notice really, other than the 30 mins immediately after. The Sunday went on like normal, and it seemed like nobody thought about leaving or curtailing their weekend in any way 

8 minutes ago, Mardy said:

That was very much the mood of the site, nobody paid it much notice really, other than the 30 mins immediately after. The Sunday went on like normal, and it seemed like nobody thought about leaving or curtailing their weekend in any way 

"Ahh, can't wait for Peter Gabriel later!"

"Dude, you know you've been shot right?"

"Oh. Hmm. Thought it was the acid. Right then"..........*thud*

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

"Ahh, can't wait for Peter Gabriel later!"

"Dude, you know you've been shot right?"

"Oh. Hmm. Thought it was the acid. Right then"..........*thud*

I’ll be honest, i don’t remember much about the bands in 94. Johnny Cash of course, remember that, but i was pretty loaded. Must have seen Blur, i guess. I do recall Ultramarine and TransGlobal Underground being great. And some outstanding green microdots.

• Upvote 1

I walked into the Other field from the market to see Bjork and saw all this police tape. Found out later it was a shooting.

The atmosphere back then was great. Felt like it could go off at any moment. It was almost in the air.

Report here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/man-is-held-after-five-are-shot-at-pop-festival-1425342.html

Back in the Olden days someone unzipped our tent waved an axe in our face and said give us all your drugs and money.

we all froze

apart from one girl who said

f*ck off and rob some other c*nt before I get really angry.

and he did.

• Upvote 3

On 3/28/2019 at 9:23 PM, H.M.V said:

Might be worth paging @Sawdusty Surfer cos he's been going forever and is bound to have some scéal. 

We were parked up in The Undleground that year and a few people nonchalently mentioned  that some folk had been shot. Nobody seemed fazed or worried by it and kind of carried on with their business.Can't add any more than that I'm afraid.

Not bothered that I missed the excitement but still gutted to this day that I couldn't be arsed to drag my sorry self down to see Johnny Cash   :(

1 hour ago, Homer said:

The atmosphere back then was great. Felt like it could go off at any moment. It was almost in the air.

I first went in 1993, and I remember that year, and 1994, feeling pretty moody at times.  Between the enormous numbers of dealers ("black 'ash, black 'ash") obviously all come down from London and Manchester and the perpetually brewed-up aggro-crusties*, my teenage self felt a wee bit uncomfortable at times.

We were also caught up (I think in '93) on a mounted police and riot gear moment on one of the bridges down in the markets, when they'd clearly had enough of the  brazen selling. 

Had a great time though, and kind of miss a bit of that edge nowadays, especially as I'm now old enough and (potentially) moody enough to not feel so threatened by it. 

*who I should note, were a very small subset of the generally pretty sound travellers on site

• Upvote 2

I was sat on a bale of straw talking utter codshit in front of a bar (maybe food stall) adjacent to NME stage and certainly felt like we were close to the shot going off

‘Took cover’ by launching myself off screaming “fucking nora” and landed on some poor unsuspecting geezer (from London village iirc) and then made it worse by apologising for way too long

Hearing what was obviously a gun shot was so odd, surreal even, for Glastonbury it was hard to believe it happened 

And if that was you London boy, sorry again mate

oh, and Orbital ??

Edited by deschwah

I was at that festival but didn’t witness the shooting. I did however meet the lad who got shot about a year after the incident in a pub in Barry, South Wales. He was just a kid minding his own business. I don’t know who the shooter, who I understand was a drug dealer, was aiming for but it certainly wasn’t the victim 

I was there that year,  and like many others was at Björk. I think I only heard about the shooting the following day. Of course this was pre-mobile phones, and also before the Glastonbury fence. It was easier to get tickets in those days, and possible to get in without a ticket. There were a lot more drugs around.

I had a look at that news clip. I was at that Johnny Cash gig!

And as for phones, I use a Nokia that does calls and text only all the time. Don’t have a smartphone. I spend enough time online as it is.

23 hours ago, jontippins said:

I was at that festival but didn’t witness the shooting. I did however meet the lad who got shot about a year after the incident in a pub in Barry, South Wales. He was just a kid minding his own business. I don’t know who the shooter, who I understand was a drug dealer, was aiming for but it certainly wasn’t the victim 

At least he got  shot quite late on in the festival. If I got shot on the Wednesday afternoon, I'd be fucking livid.

• Upvote 3