Other Stage Shooting

Wooderson

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Woah.

My first was '95. A friend had bought me a ticket as they thought it would be my kind of thing.

I'm presuming my over protective mother hadn't known about this the year before or she would certainly have tried to intervene.

I can remember watching The Wire years later and thinking, "That's how the bridges were worked at Glasto in '95".

Some dispute over that kind of shenanigans wasn't it? Maybe?

I was there, but can't remember that much about it. My recollection is we were in the markets, somewhere between the Other and Pyramid, sort of round where the bandstand/ Bread and Roses is these days. There was a load of screaming and shouting and then a mass exodus from the Other stage, obviously loads of rumours etc floating around 'Someone's been shot' etc etc. Looking back, the most extraordinary thing is that things seemed to return to normal pretty quickly. I guess the fact that no-one had phones, could pass on the news, and no worried phone calls from parents etc means that it all calmed down and receded in an extraordinarily short amount of time and every one carried on with their weekend. As I say, that's just how I remember it, though. 

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

I was there, but can't remember that much about it. My recollection is we were in the markets, somewhere between the Other and Pyramid, sort of round where the bandstand/ Bread and Roses is these days. 

yes your correct - My Team and I was working that night and our Bar was next to the Market and while we did not see it - we certainly knew what had happened as someone from WBC Security was on the radio warning us ' there was a Mad Gunman heading our way ' - the WBC Security { who you would not normally see } came to the front of the bar and everyone was on the lookout but we never spotted him.

Customers were a bit puzzled when we put a sign up with something like ' No Guns allowed in this Bar '

• Upvote 1

I was there.  I was at the NME (Other) stage watching Bjork and then Orbital.  At some point I left that stage back into the markets, which iirc was pretty much the only way you could get in and out of that field back then, and I remember having a rest against the fence that they used to cordon off the affected area (and that can be seen in that video).  I didn't know someone had been shot until much later, but I recall watching the coppers combing the ground.

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Could you imagine the hysteria and reaction on social media/the news if something similar happened at this years event?

The reaction on SM would be the smallest of problems tbh.  With the number of parameters the festival has to operate within these days to maintain compliance and, I would assume, its licence, it would probably pose a severe risk to it continuing at least in the short term.

At least that's what I'd have thought.

that is what I loved about Glastonbury in the early days I started going, no phones no social media. you never knew what was going on in the outside world . you properly escaped. you cant fart these days without it going on social media and 

can't believe i never heard of this 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

that is what I loved about Glastonbury in the early days I started going, no phones no social media. you never knew what was going on in the outside world . you properly escaped. you cant fart these days without it going on social media.

one of my mates phones broke at Glastonbury 2010 and he couldn't bare to not have one so swapped the sim out of mine so he had one and so I was phoneless from the Thursday onwards...was complete bliss and was very strange when I arrived home on the Monday to 6 days of news and world cup updates!

Good description @Mardy.  I was also there and think I was also around the market area.  There was a lot of commotion, but I went to the NME stage so left the area.  As you said, word got around the site quickly, but I think the assumption was that this was drug dealer related, as there was a lot of competition in those days.

Sometimes if you split from your mates to see different bands, if you did manage meet at the arranged place and time then that was it for ages- you had to bimble around on your own with no way of contacting them.  Did people not resort to sticking messages on poles to arrange meeting their mates?

2 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

I still try and turn my phone off for the weekend.

My mate brought his daughters and her friends with us in 2017 all ranging from 18-25 years old and they spent most of their time, either on their phones in the campsite, or on their phones trying to find each other when out and about.  was ridiculous.