Tent Etiquette

JaiCrispy37

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

How do the panel feel about the Quechua range at Decathalon

They're great. Especially the Fresh+Black ones.

Though personally I'd pay the extra to get one with a small porch - obviously it's going to be sunny and dry so you don't need it, but it's nice to have for when you use it at other festivals with worse weather.

We always camp in Big Ground.

Years ago when it was far busier a bloke managed to get a family tent next to me in our group of one and two man tents.

That was not a problem , a bloke and four kids, but singling me out he said

” If there is any noise or trouble and my kids can’t sleep I am coming for you “

I stood there stunned with that comment just as rocket went off and the 24 hr reggae cafe turned up the bass .

Went for a wander and returned hours later to find tent gone and my mates pleased that my chances of being assaulted by a tired parent had gone .

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ivan said:

We always camp in Big Ground.

Years ago when it was far busier a bloke managed to get a family tent next to me in our group of one and two man tents.

That was not a problem , a bloke and four kids, but singling me out he said

” If there is any noise or trouble and my kids can’t sleep I am coming for you “

I stood there stunned with that comment just as rocket went off and the 24 hr reggae cafe turned up the bass .

Went for a wander and returned hours later to find tent gone and my mates pleased that my chances of being assaulted by a tired parent had gone .

Well that’s not a very glastonbury style reaction. Bet you were glad he pissed off. 

14 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

How do the panel feel about the Quechua range at Decathalon. I have seen this

35 - Hiking Camping - Arpenaz 2 Fresh&Black Tent - 2 Man QUECHUA - Blackout Tents

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-1027136-blackout-tents#product_8357354

It ticks all the boxes for me and seems a steal at 35 quid.

They're awesome.  I have the 3-man and it's warm, dark and wind proof.  Used it on Dartmoor in the middle of nowhere in a gale-force thunderstorm and the wind just blew right over its low-to-the-ground shape.  It barley ruffled the canvas!

49 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

They're awesome.  I have the 3-man and it's warm, dark and wind proof.  Used it on Dartmoor in the middle of nowhere in a gale-force thunderstorm and the wind just blew right over its low-to-the-ground shape.  It barley ruffled the canvas!

I have the 3 man too, used it in the rain and mud of 2016, and the heat and dust of 2017 and it was equally good in both sets of conditions. The way it stays dark and cooler in the mornings is amazing, I slept brilliantly! 

2 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I also have the 3 man and can't speak highly enough of it. If you like staying in the SEC until close this tent allows you to sleep in a few extra hours in the mornings due to the darkness and the cooler temp which is a godsend. 

Is it colder at night as well? It can get quite chilly overnight, although my thin sleeping bag doesn't help. 

On 4/27/2019 at 8:34 PM, Rufus Gwertigan said:

How do the panel feel about the Quechua range at Decathalon. I have seen this

35 - Hiking Camping - Arpenaz 2 Fresh&Black Tent - 2 Man QUECHUA - Blackout Tents

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-1027136-blackout-tents#product_8357354

It ticks all the boxes for me and seems a steal at 35 quid.

I have the 2 man xl pop up version, it’s amazing. Double the price of that one but worth it for the porch, and the xl means it’s more like a 2&half man. It isn’t any cooler at night, the insulation keeps your body heat in it. 

On another note, I love how this thread went off on a tangent ? To the OP, take whatever size you like, but year on year I get a smaller tent as I barely spend a few hours in it a night and that walk in and out again is a killer. 

50 minutes ago, Homer said:

Don't get mashed in the afternoon then take a crap in a carrier bag in it, like my mate was doing a few years ago when his female tent-mate came in and found him.

"Wait, it's not what it looks like!"

Were they able to move beyond that point over the weekend, or go their separate ways?  That would be hard to unsee.

52 minutes ago, clarkete said:

"Wait, it's not what it looks like!"

Were they able to move beyond that point over the weekend, or go their separate ways?  That would be hard to unsee.

She managed to combat the temptation to 'leave' him by laughing and telling everyone about it.

Same friend also once spotted by a different friend attempting to wee behind his tent but, due to being in a similar state, just weeing all over it (dome again - his tent that is).

Edited by Homer

40 minutes ago, Homer said:

She managed to combat the temptation to 'leave' him by laughing and telling everyone about it.

Same friend also once spotted by a different friend attempting to wee behind his tent but, due to being in a similar state, just weeing all over it (dome again - his tent that is).

He he.  I've done some pretty grim stuff, but not yet tried to sh*t in a bag.  I don't think it would bode well for anyone, plus I'm painfully aware that if it's not submurged under water, sh*t really does stink.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:42 PM, incident said:

They're great. Especially the Fresh+Black ones.

Though personally I'd pay the extra to get one with a small porch - obviously it's going to be sunny and dry so you don't need it, but it's nice to have for when you use it at other festivals with worse weather.

Cool. I have only noticed they do a 2 man with a porch (all I needed to do was scroll down) . I was planning on using a tarp to give me a bit of space but a porch should do. Thanks for the heads up. ?