Tent Etiquette

JaiCrispy37

52 minutes ago, Bags73 said:

No issue with tent size provided you don’t corden off a large area for a fire/groundsheets/sitting area.   That’s taking the piss.

I once went to Latitude and someone had brought a little white picket fence to put around their “area”. 

It made good firewood.

Whilst I agree that a large area shouldn't be fenced off, especially in the busier campsites, I think exceptions should be made for campfires. Fires are one of the things that have pretty much disappeared from the Glastonbury experience nowadays, mainly due to the SE corner. I do miss crashing some random campfire for a chat on the way back to the tent

8 hours ago, TabulaRasa said:

The thing that bothers me most about guy ropes is that (depending on the tent) they don’t even need to be used. I mean, unless a hurricane is expected to sweep its way through the farm. They’re intended for extra support in high winds.

Some, if not most, tents these days have some kind of front porch/canopy and guy ropes are required for these, which is fair enough. But they’re not needed around the rest of the tent, especially at a festival.

THIS.

Why waste valuable time at the festival pissing about arranging guy ropes? Only time we have ever used them is one morning in 2016 while we were at the campsite getting ready as a makeshift washing line to dry our sodden clothing during a brief spell that it wasn’t raining.

Don't need guy ropes unless your up mount Everest. there always some dick head that has them extended to the full length that I end up tripping over at like 5 in the morning when I can't see straight. 

Why aren't we allowed to have camp fires?? Reading and Leeds have them and I don't think its ever really caused an issue?

Also I don't think gazebos are the issue or large tents, its people trying too hard to cram into a space thats already taken.

There is ample camping room at Glastonbury, it sucks to have your favourite spots taken but if there isn't the space go somewhere else. If you snooze you loose. 

People arriving early Wednesday are going to have their pick first its just the way it is, if you arrive later or another day then its up to you to find a space that is big enough for your groups needs.

edit: Me and my friends always camp in Bushy Grounds, it may be 40 mins walk from Black 9 and Shangrila but its far enough away from everything you can get a good night sleep if need and its never crammed. I don't mind the walk either. Some of my fondest memories are walking back after a messy night.

Edited by Xeph1995
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Don't need guy ropes unless your up mount Everest. there always some dick head that has them extended to the full length that I end up tripping over at like 5 in the morning when I can't see straight. 

Why aren't we allowed to have camp fires?? Reading and Leeds have them and I don't think its ever really caused an issue?

Also I don't think gazebos are the issue or large tents, its people trying too hard to cram into a space thats already taken.

There is ample camping room at Glastonbury, it sucks to have your favourite spots taken but if there isn't the space go somewhere else. If you snooze you loose. 

People arriving early Wednesday are going to have their pick first its just the way it is, if you arrive later or another day then its up to you to find a space that is big enough for your groups needs.

edit: Me and my friends always camp in Bushy Grounds, it may be 40 mins walk from Black 9 and Shangrila but its far enough away from everything you can get a good night sleep if need and its never crammed. I don't mind the walk either. Some of my fondest memories are walking back after a messy night.

campfires are allowed ..they even provide firewood free on the railway  line ... less common these days because of the prevalence of after hours stuff but they do happen ... just stay safe and be sensible and have a 2 litre bottle of water on hand ready to put it out before you leave it / go to bed 

32 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

You still are, it's just that they've faded out of fashion a bit with the amount of late night stuff there is to do. The times when people would come back and sit around the fire and talk shit have been replaced by staying out until you're literally asleep on your feet and just collapsing into a tent.

Combined with the challenge of actually holding a spot between tents for long enough to get one going without someone plonking a tent in there, and they're just rarer than unicorn shite. I'm still a fan and we had one going in  '15 and '16 so they are still out there

Beaten to it by @crazyfool1

Edited by Quark

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

You still are, it's just that they've faded out of fashion a bit with the amount of late night stuff there is to do. The times when people would come back and sit around the fire and talk shit have been replaced by staying out until you're literally asleep on your feet and just collapsing into a tent.

Combined with the challenge of actually holding a spot between tents for long enough to get one going without someone plonking a tent in there, and they're just rarer than unicorn shite. I'm still a fan and we had one going in  '15 and '16 so they are still out there

not quite word for word .. but pretty close :) 

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

I see, i've never seen one so just assumed they weren't allowed haha. might have to get one going on of the nights now. 

Edited by Xeph1995

Just now, Xeph1995 said:

I see, i've never seen one so just assumed they weren't allowed haha. might have to get one going on of the nights now. 

If you can get a space, do it. Said earlier in the thread we light a fire early doors while there's still space as no one wants to pitch a tent on a clearly fire blackened patch!

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Was it about festivals by any chance?

Funny enough...

No. Although strangely appropriate given the days we live in, it was a study into the benefits to economic growth of being in the European Union, using infrastructure spending and development as a base indicator.

I was the coolest kid at uni

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Quark said:

Funny enough...

No. Although strangely appropriate given the days we live in, it was a study into the benefits to economic growth of being in the European Union, using infrastructure spending and development as a base indicator.

I was the coolest kid at uni

You should send a copy to Teresa May.

You don’t need guy ropes, unless there’s any chance of rain! If you haven’t properly pegged them, and the outer tent touches the inner tent then the tent will leak! This makes people think they’ve bought a rubbish tent and they then leave it behind. 

That being said they work the same pegged 1ft away from your tent as 5ft so there’s no need for any of that. 

Just to chip in: I spent a few hours on late Thursday night in 2017 in the medical tent after a friend tripped (when sober) over a ridiculously positioned, completely pointless guy rope and broke her wrist. She was rightly concerned as she's a graphic designer.

That said, it's NEVER boring in the medical tent!  

On 4/8/2019 at 10:24 AM, Quark said:

Gonna file this under the "...Or We Riot" thread.

FFS dude...

On 4/8/2019 at 10:38 AM, Hugh Jass said:

To think I thought you were alright.

I feel that I’ve let some people down....

Edited by nikkic