Tent Etiquette

JaiCrispy37

On 4/5/2019 at 2:32 PM, TKOCF said:

Spirit Rankings:

God Tier:

JD Honey

I agree but.....

6 minutes ago, Woffy said:

JD Honey - TB Sheets. Can’t remember passing out at 9pm when waking up in a panic at 5am. Is this my tent? Fuck!

I've been banned from having it at festivals* and/or firework displays due to three incidents which were all worryingly similar to this. 

*However, this year, I won't be with any of the people that know about these prior offences. Hmmmm. I think the key is to decant it in to two separate bottles and make sure you never have both on your person at the same time. Fool proof. 

Just now, Sasperella said:

I agree but.....

I've been banned from having it at festivals* and/or firework displays due to three incidents which were all worryingly similar to this. 

*However, this year, I won't be with any of the people that know about these prior offences. Hmmmm. I think the key is to decant it in to two separate bottles and make sure you never have both on your person at the same time. Fool proof. 

I have a vague plan forming Sasp, whereby I have none on me but seek you out for a sip of yours. Fool(sThinkIts’only’35%)Proof. Deadly. 

On 3/28/2019 at 3:31 PM, balti-pie said:

If you can carry it in and get a spot of land big enough for it, then you’ve earnt it. Get it up and it’s all good, there’s no tent police to pop a couple of tentless people in there just to fill up your quota! 

One thing though, bigger tents are definitely colder overnight, and harder to heat up when you’re in em. And Glastonbury nights can be surprisingly cold. I’ve hankered for a hot water bottle on a couple of occasions . . . 

Ha yeah bringing heavy loads to glasto makes the worlds strongest man events look lame! 

It's the "guy ropes close to tent" and "please don't pitch right in front of my door", things that rile me.

First time solo and pitching my own (borrowed) tent, I left for something to eat and came back to be greeted by a neighbouring camper who explained that they had moved my guy ropes closer to my tent and why. Made sense it did

Long thread so maybe it's already been touched upon, but my big "that's really not in the spirit of things, and really quite dangerous", annoyance are the groups of campers that tie their guy ropes to each others tents (rather than into the ground) in order to create a "fenced off" bit for themselves.

Especially if said ropes are black and at garroting height (you can get glow in the dark ropes now. Should be required as standard :)).

Way worse than being tripped over is having your throat potentially cut.

If you get a few of these utterly selfish groups in a campsite, what should be a two minute walk as the crow flies ends up turning into Hampton Court Maze. While drunk.

Scissors at the ready. It's like picnic blankets. If you're being inappropriate I'm just walking through (semi joking. I'm not really into vandalism, despite how appropriate I think it may be).

I also really, really miss the campfires. Just everywhere. And the haze they created over the site.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

It's the "guy ropes close to tent" and "please don't pitch right in front of my door", things that rile me.

First time solo and pitching my own (borrowed) tent, I left for something to eat and came back to be greeted by a neighbouring camper who explained that they had moved my guy ropes closer to my tent and why. Made sense it did

Long thread so maybe it's already been touched upon, but my big "that's really not in the spirit of things, and really quite dangerous", annoyance are the groups of campers that tie their guy ropes to each others tents (rather than into the ground) in order to create a "fenced off" bit for themselves.

Especially if said ropes are black and at garroting height (you can get glow in the dark ropes now. Should be required as standard :)).

Way worse than being tripped over is having your throat potentially cut.

If you get a few of these utterly selfish groups in a campsite, what should be a two minute walk as the crow flies ends up turning into Hampton Court Maze. While drunk.

Scissors at the ready. It's like picnic blankets. If you're being inappropriate I'm just walking through (semi joking. I'm not really into vandalism, despite how appropriate I think it may be).

I also really, really miss the campfires. Just everywhere. And the haze they created over the site.

We were surrounded by those fuckers last time. Got tripped up so many times. Surprised their tent is still standing. I made a mental note to pack a small scissors for my next visit to the farm. Snipping is still less antisocial than me face planting in the middle of the night because guy ropes are tied to a fucking fence. 

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

We were surrounded by those fuckers last time. Got tripped up so many times. Surprised their tent is still standing. I made a mental note to pack a small scissors for my next visit to the farm. Snipping is still less antisocial than me face planting in the middle of the night because guy ropes are tied to a fucking fence.

Yeah.

Right on! Thanks for the validation of my drunken rant.

I was Holding My Vodka whilst I typed the above.

10 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Having seen someone quote this I have to tell our version. We did this for years, mostly into the porch of the biggest tent as the wood pieces were sane and usable then. One year I took my little coffin hiking tent too and we used that, took the inner out and filled it.

Seemed like a great idea until as I had a last smoke before bed one night a very drunken guy and his mate came meandering through the tents, tripped up on a guyline nearby, flipped himself legs up and faceplanted into the wood-tent with a sickening thud.

For a moment time seemed to stop as he stayed utterly still head down limbs all over, then he stood up and shook his head looking confused said "fuck that hurt" to his mate and off they went. i still hadn't worked out whether I was going to check he was OK or laugh, will always wonder what he thought had happened in the morning. Never forgotten it though and try to ensure any sharp edged things are facing inwards now for the next accident

Hello frostypaw,

The last Glastonbury that I attended they still had put a pile of timber at the foot of the hill. I was stunned to see that there was still wood there on Sunday evening! 

I must confess that I too have tripped over many a guy rope at Glastonbury over the years, but have never really sustained any major injury. Th very last time that it happened, I was smiling at two people (a man and a woman) sitting on a couple of chairs about 10 feet away. As I looked and smiled at them, I tripped on a guy line, and fell flat on my face, I expected the two people to be roaring with laughter when I got up, but both were (or least looked) completely stunned. They didn't ask to see if I was alright, they didn't laugh, they just were open mouthed. Maybe it was their first Glastonbury! lol

14 hours ago, Woffy said:

I have a vague plan forming Sasp, whereby I have none on me but seek you out for a sip of yours. Fool(sThinkIts’only’35%)Proof. Deadly. 

I reckon two people who can't be trusted with JD Honey sharing a bottle is loads better than one having it all to themselves. 

Deadly...but delicious!!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I reckon two people who can't be trusted with JD Honey sharing a bottle is loads better than one having it all to themselves. 

Deadly...but delicious!!

Add me to that list. These days I don't know if was more down to my state of mind as a yoof, but JD had a track record of giving me blackout periods when I became less than pleasant company :(

Might be fine these days, but I have no wish to find out the hard way

JD Honey goes surprisingly well with cranberry juice

I was hugely sceptical at first but Mrs R eventually persuaded me to try it one time and it works

Aside from that, tequila is great, as long as it's not the brand with the novelty sombrero lid. Can be drunk with no mixer, just need citrus and you're good to go

Vodka is the base of all my favourite cocktails. White russian with milk bought fresh and cold from the milk tractor (milky milkyyyy) in the morning is a godsend. And if you have the ingredients, bloody Mary's are amazing

God tier

Everything but cheap whisky and tequila

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Raincatcher said:

Aside from that, tequila is great, as long as it's not the brand with the novelty sombrero lid. Can be drunk with no mixer, just need citrus and you're good to go

Finally, someone who gets it! Get yourself a nice bottle of an anejo tequila and you've a sipper to rival any scotch.

Also +1 for Bloody Mary

Edited by Quark

On 4/6/2019 at 8:08 PM, Sasperella said:

Hi Yog, Glad you're having a good trip :)  I love Vietnam - a little known fact, I lived in Hanoi for a year from Sept 2010. It is indeed pretty crazy! Never made it as far down as Ho Chi Minh, mostly because I was enjoying Hanoi too much. I would bloody love to go back one day!

I'm currently trying to get my PhD thesis written before I start my new job in June (or July...start date tbc). Very hectic, but have Ibiza/Glastonbury/Boomtown planned in celebration. No real travelling planned yet, but I'll think about that once the old thesis is submitted!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!!!

Hello Sasperella,

Just back home after a long trip back with a three hour stop over in Beijing.

You lived in Hanoi for a year. How fab, and what an experience. 

Good luck with your PHD thesis, new job and worldy celebrations. :)

The thing that bothers me most about guy ropes is that (depending on the tent) they don’t even need to be used. I mean, unless a hurricane is expected to sweep its way through the farm. They’re intended for extra support in high winds.

Some, if not most, tents these days have some kind of front porch/canopy and guy ropes are required for these, which is fair enough. But they’re not needed around the rest of the tent, especially at a festival.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Quark said:

Add me to that list. These days I don't know if was more down to my state of mind as a yoof, but JD had a track record of giving me blackout periods when I became less than pleasant company :(

Might be fine these days, but I have no wish to find out the hard way

The list of people to share the bottle with me and @Woffy, or the list of people who definitely should steer clear? I'm assuming its the former, and we're going to have a grand old time at the efests meet.

Three people to one bottle is surely safe as houses...right? :lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

The list of people to share the bottle with me and @Woffy, or the list of people who definitely should steer clear? I'm assuming its the former, and we're going to have a grand old time at the efests meet.

Depends on the bottle...

Jack-Daniels-Honey-Food-Beverage-Inflata

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No issue with tent size provided you don’t corden off a large area for a fire/groundsheets/sitting area.   That’s taking the piss.

I once went to Latitude and someone had brought a little white picket fence to put around their “area”. 

It made good firewood.

18 minutes ago, Bags73 said:

No issue with tent size provided you don’t corden off a large area for a fire/groundsheets/sitting area.   That’s taking the piss.

I once went to Latitude and someone had brought a little white picket fence to put around their “area”. 

It made good firewood.

:lol:

Our technique, rightly or wrongly, was always to get the tents set up with a gap in the middle, not excessive but big enough for a fire and a few chairs, and get a fire lit ASAP so there was a clear fire patch.  People tend not to want to pitch a tent on it then!  But absolutely left the area open, no cordoning off.  Anyone who's passing was / is always welcome to sit down and join the fire in the evening if they're passing. I think there's something way more appropriate about having a fire circle than a gazebo; one's open whereas the other clearly states "this is our patch".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Depends entirely on whether you fancy risking meeting the other Quark! :ninja: