Tent Etiquette

JaiCrispy37

Back in my early years (2000?) we took a spare huge old frame tent which we set up as a rave tent, filled with booze and a sound system left it open for anyone to join in and had it as an after hours venue on Pennards hill.

we also had two gazebos attached to it with tarpaulin over to make it bigger.

we camped around it in our normal tents.

couldnt get away with it these days but we had all sorts in the rave tent, happy days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 3/29/2019 at 8:34 AM, Quark said:

@guypjfreak I know that's not your monster but sure I've heard you talk about the Pilton Palais guys before. Any ideas?

There just down the road from us or should I say Row lol.. 

It's the same with all of us you gotta have someone on the inside.. I know that Gary and bobs crew the PIMMS tent nearly didn't get their space last year.. Not sure with the pyramid Palace crew they change but are OK and then there's the sofa crew who I know have a deal with someone cos there sofas are brought in on the back of a 4x4 lol. 

Us we have it planned out but we also have a couple of people helping us out.. Only this year looks like we won't be there in strength lol.. 

My thoughts on tent etiquette is MAKE FRIENDS say hi swap names and how many people are in the group.. That way you can have them look after your stuff and you look after there's.... 

Way back in the day, one of my mates pitched a crappy two person tent where we were pitched. All of us then went to the wood supply nearby and shoved all the wood into the tent. So, we had enough wood ever night for a fire until the very wee hours. It appears greedy to me now, but it made sense at the time.

When you hear everyone complaining about the camping being more crowded now and blaming gazebos it's not gazebos, it's average tent size.

Don't go bonkers to avoid some tuts but a porch of some sort so if it's wet you can avoid traipsing filth inside is invaluable on a wet year.  Biggest deal is guylines - tents that need fewer are better as people will trip over them and they block walkways, and it's worth learning how close to the tent you can set the needed ones. Unless there's strong winds coming there's no need for the full spreadeagle newbies set tents up in, it's all a bit manspreading with tents.

11 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Biggest deal is guylines - tents that need fewer are better as people will trip over them and they block walkways, and it's worth learning how close to the tent you can set the needed ones. Unless there's strong winds coming there's no need for the full spreadeagle newbies set tents up in, it's all a bit manspreading with tents.

I don't think you really need to use the guy lines on your tent at a festival, unless you have a huge tent that going to act like a parachute. In modern tents the inner is usually attached to the outer, pegging the tent down at the base and the weight of the stuff in the tent should be enough to stop it going anywhere. The number of tents in the field disperses the wind so it doesn't have as much effect as it would if the was 1 tent in the middle of a big field.

On 3/30/2019 at 1:49 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Way back in the day, one of my mates pitched a crappy two person tent where we were pitched. All of us then went to the wood supply nearby and shoved all the wood into the tent. So, we had enough wood ever night for a fire until the very wee hours. It appears greedy to me now, but it made sense at the time.

I love reading little anecdotes like this and @morph100's that really hammer home how much things have changed over the years!

Also, Yog - does this mean you are back from your tour of Asia? How was it?

A few of the (probably cheaper, like mine) tunnel tents require the ropes to actually hold them up. The hooped poles are all parallel. Only the ropes stop gravity taking over. However, it's more about tension and angles than spread. They can be put in less than 6 inches inches from the bottom of the tent and be solid.

13 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

A few of the (probably cheaper, like mine) tunnel tents require the ropes to actually hold them up. The hooped poles are all parallel. Only the ropes stop gravity taking over. However, it's more about tension and angles than spread. They can be put in less than 6 inches inches from the bottom of the tent and be solid.

Yep, it might be an idea to stretch them out at the end where your front door is though to make sure you have enough space to get in and out!

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

I love reading little anecdotes like this and @morph100's that really hammer home how much things have changed over the years!

Also, Yog - does this mean you are back from your tour of Asia? How was it?

Hello Sasperella,

Yeah, things have changed a lot over the years. I'm not saying it's any better or worse now - just different. That said, I have, in fairly recent past, missed the camp fires. The whole bank of the camping areas lighting up at night, and knowing that there was fun to be had at each and everyone of those fires. 

I'm not back from my tour yet. I'm writing this from Hanoi, which is like a box of frogs on speed, it's so intensive. The holiday has been magical. I really wanted / needed to come back to Vietnam before I expired. It's a very infectious place. That said, there are other places in the world that I'd like to go to in the future, so am not sure if I'll ever get back here again. However, I'm OK with that now. I've put to bed my craving to see the place one more time.

How about you - have you any travel plans this year? I don't think we'll be going away again any time soon, as this has been an expensive little tickle. If I were to go away again, I'd love to do some South American countries. However, I'd probably get in to deep trouble visiting any of them, so that bit scares me off going there. 

Hope you are well, and that all things are good in your life. :)

PS - I'm a little bit pissed on Hendricks and tonic now, and am just about to go out and blow my mind away on more of it. Shit almighty, but this is a strange old city in which to do so. Finding your way back to your hotel under your own steam is nigh on impossible. Always take a card with you from the hotel with it's address on is my advice. One of my friends didn't do this, and spent several hours in a taxi trying to find his hotel (which he eventually did), which cost him a fortune.  :)

• Like 3

On 3/30/2019 at 1:49 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Having seen someone quote this I have to tell our version. We did this for years, mostly into the porch of the biggest tent as the wood pieces were sane and usable then. One year I took my little coffin hiking tent too and we used that, took the inner out and filled it.

Seemed like a great idea until as I had a last smoke before bed one night a very drunken guy and his mate came meandering through the tents, tripped up on a guyline nearby, flipped himself legs up and faceplanted into the wood-tent with a sickening thud.

For a moment time seemed to stop as he stayed utterly still head down limbs all over, then he stood up and shook his head looking confused said "fuck that hurt" to his mate and off they went. i still hadn't worked out whether I was going to check he was OK or laugh, will always wonder what he thought had happened in the morning. Never forgotten it though and try to ensure any sharp edged things are facing inwards now for the next accident

• Upvote 1

On 4/5/2019 at 2:42 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Sasperella,

Yeah, things have changed a lot over the years. I'm not saying it's any better or worse now - just different. That said, I have, in fairly recent past, missed the camp fires. The whole bank of the camping areas lighting up at night, and knowing that there was fun to be had at each and everyone of those fires. 

I'm not back from my tour yet. I'm writing this from Hanoi, which is like a box of frogs on speed, it's so intensive. The holiday has been magical. I really wanted / needed to come back to Vietnam before I expired. It's a very infectious place. That said, there are other places in the world that I'd like to go to in the future, so am not sure if I'll ever get back here again. However, I'm OK with that now. I've put to bed my craving to see the place one more time.

How about you - have you any travel plans this year? I don't think we'll be going away again any time soon, as this has been an expensive little tickle. If I were to go away again, I'd love to do some South American countries. However, I'd probably get in to deep trouble visiting any of them, so that bit scares me off going there. 

Hope you are well, and that all things are good in your life. :)

PS - I'm a little bit pissed on Hendricks and tonic now, and am just about to go out and blow my mind away on more of it. Shit almighty, but this is a strange old city in which to do so. Finding your way back to your hotel under your own steam is nigh on impossible. Always take a card with you from the hotel with it's address on is my advice. One of my friends didn't do this, and spent several hours in a taxi trying to find his hotel (which he eventually did), which cost him a fortune.  :)

Hi Yog, Glad you're having a good trip :)  I love Vietnam - a little known fact, I lived in Hanoi for a year from Sept 2010. It is indeed pretty crazy! Never made it as far down as Ho Chi Minh, mostly because I was enjoying Hanoi too much. I would bloody love to go back one day!

I'm currently trying to get my PhD thesis written before I start my new job in June (or July...start date tbc). Very hectic, but have Ibiza/Glastonbury/Boomtown planned in celebration. No real travelling planned yet, but I'll think about that once the old thesis is submitted!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!!!

On 4/5/2019 at 2:32 PM, TKOCF said:

Spirit Rankings:

God Tier:

Disarono - Marvellous, but fucked if consumed before headliner, even if drinking it begins before sub-headliner  

JD Honey - TB Sheets. Can’t remember passing out at 9pm when waking up in a panic at 5am. Is this my tent? Fuck!

Ok Tier:

Everything else that isn’t Vodka or Tequila - all of which ‘taste of “Sorry”’ from the first swig.

Shit Tier:

Vodka - “I can negotiate the mud so much better when pissed on this...!” to “OhmyfuckinggodmakeitstopmyheadisDOWNaLONGDROP!” seemingly in a split second.

Tequila = Might Enjoy The Killers.

I’m sticking to the odd beer here and there. 

• Like 1