Tent Etiquette

JaiCrispy37

1 hour ago, JaiCrispy37 said:

Well looks like the big tents the winner,  although I'm a little disappointed the pirate tent didn't get a look in..........

download.jpg

I have a tent like this, albeit significantly less piratey, for me and then whichever friend (s) need to share. It's easily big enough for two. I shared it with a couple at Shambala and they had one bedroom and put all their stuff in the middle. If you are going as a couple it will easy be big enough. Sleep one side, clothes on the other, booze in the middle. I'd go for this one....the other one seems like it's designed for going on a camping holiday to France with four kids

Plus it's all piratey and shit. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GoonerRob said:

What size gazebo does everyone recommend?

One that stays at home.

If you absolutely must bring one (and I can't think why) then stick to the less popular camping areas or at the very least position in the centre of your camping group.

IMO, gazebos are a dick move. No need for one.

15 minutes ago, GoonerRob said:

What size gazebo does everyone recommend?

Bigger the better obvs. If theres more than 4 or 5 or you a 10ft x 30ft gazebo will probably be ok. 

Just make sure to tape it off so no one else can use it. 

20180828_193527_1200x1200.jpg?v=15365307

It'll probably be heavy to carry but just hang around the reduced mobility area when you get in and try nick one of the little shuttle carts and lob the gazebo in the back of it. 

Edited by The Nal

1 hour ago, JaiCrispy37 said:

This is the other option

s-l1600.jpg

That will be pretty heavy carrying it from the furthest away car park to hitchin hill especially if is muddy, windy, you’ve got sleeping gear, drink etc, and there’s just two of you.   We leave our wee tent about ten am and stumble back into it around two am . So basically the tents for sleeping in, though this year it’s worthy view for a change. I would go pirate if I was you but tent choice is a very personal thing! 

Theres stages smaller than that tent at the festival?

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

Theres no way I could ever be arsed lugging that in, putting it up and taking it down (which must take a while with just 2 people) and then lugging it back out again. Glasto isnt like other festivals because you can bring your booze everywhere, most days you'll leave your tent in the morning and you won't be back until you're going to bed, or maybe a quick trip back for more drink or whatever. The point I'm getting at it is I'm not sure that you'll actually make use of all that space.

Plus the pirate one is a lot cooler.

There's 2 of us in ours, but it is listed as a "six man" tent... The only way you'd get any more people in there is if they slept in the porch next to our muddy boots! I think as long as you're not taking up 40 feet for just one person, you're alright. You're going to be sleeping in it for a week, so make sure you're comfortable

2 hours ago, JaiCrispy37 said:

This is the other option

s-l1600.jpg

There is plenty of space to put up large tents these days but choice will become more limited as the site fills. Your options will be determined by your arrival time as the site fills up... And some camping areas are more suitable for large tents than others.

If you're travelling by car then, as been said before, you will be carrying your gear for 45mins...and probably a lot longer as queues at the gate can reach 2hrs+. You may also find you need to abandon & rethink your original campsite choice due to lack of space thus entailing additional walking to another area. So plan ahead how you're going to get your gear onsite....trolley or trollies are an excellent accessory.

27 minutes ago, Keithy said:

M'lud, I humbly submit the 2016 Weds AM coach journey from Bristol to Worthy Farm with @H.M.V as evidence to the contrary. 

24 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

That was a very long journey and the bus driver made us do it. :P

The event took place in international waters and as such is inadmissible in a Glastonbury court of law. Case dismissed. 

That pirate tent looks badboy! 

I used to have a tent of that size/type that I shared with a mate, just a plain one though. One of us in each end and all our stuff in the middle. 

Loads of room. Plus I bet it will be lighter than the big one, plus.. well.... arrrrrrrrrrrghh ... shiver me timbers and all that business 

3 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

On a related note, how important is a mallet likely to be? Lots of people say to bring one but I'm on the coach with two kids so need to keep the packing down. Does the ground tend to be rock hard in a dry year?

I've never taken one, a neighbour is likely to have one or just use the heel of the boots you brought and won't need due to the heatwave we'll be having. :D 

19 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

On a related note, how important is a mallet likely to be? Lots of people say to bring one but I'm on the coach with two kids so need to keep the packing down. Does the ground tend to be rock hard in a dry year?

The ground does get very hard in some fields and makes tent pegs almost impossible to get in the ground without a mallet or equivalent. We usually take one and usually a few who take one however if everyone based it on others having one then nobody would have one to use :lol:

36 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

Gaffa tape the mallet to one of the children. Don't need to pack it then.

I've always taken one. (Mallet not child)

• Like 1