Tent Etiquette

JaiCrispy37

First time Glasto goer this year and I was wondering if there was any unwritten rules about the size of your tent?  I've been looking at a fair size tent for our party but is it frowned upon to turn up with a big tent? There's only 2 of us but the tent could probably fit 8! So, depending on the response here, it'll either be an oversized tent or our fall back option is a Pirate themed tent! (pirate hats will be included)

If you can carry it in and get a spot of land big enough for it, then you’ve earnt it. Get it up and it’s all good, there’s no tent police to pop a couple of tentless people in there just to fill up your quota! 

One thing though, bigger tents are definitely colder overnight, and harder to heat up when you’re in em. And Glastonbury nights can be surprisingly cold. I’ve hankered for a hot water bottle on a couple of occasions . . . 

Edited by balti-pie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JaiCrispy37 said:

First time Glasto goer this year and I was wondering if there was any unwritten rules about the size of your tent?  I've been looking at a fair size tent for our party but is it frowned upon to turn up with a big tent? There's only 2 of us but the tent could probably fit 8! So, depending on the response here, it'll either be an oversized tent or our fall back option is a Pirate themed tent! (pirate hats will be included)

What does your gut tell you?

4 minutes ago, JaiCrispy37 said:

Well looks like the big tents the winner,  although I'm a little disappointed the pirate tent didn't get a look in..........

download.jpg

That’s a big (but reasonable) tent for two people, what’s the thinking behind taking an even bigger one?

30 minutes ago, JaiCrispy37 said:

Just remember you have to carry the tent there and back. And set it up. If you're a first timer you could be walking about with it for 45 minutes when you get in. 

If you can carry it there and back I wouldn't worry about the size of the tent really as people tend not to count how many people are staying in each one but the only etiquette I can recommend is leave enough room for your door and other peoples tent doors as if you set up early enough you will soon find a random tent pop up in a place you weren't expecting or the other way round is if you arrive late dont block someones door, that's happened a fair few times i've noticed and starts your little neighbourhood off on the wrong foot. Everyone will look out for everyone else as long as the etiquette is followed in my experience. 

I was a bit worried about this at my first Glasto, rocking up as a solo party-goer, with a three manner. The only comment I got was not to extend my guide ropes so much. I had them at full length and basically took up another tent pitch either side of me.

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I was a bit worried about this at my first Glasto, rocking up as a solo party-goer, with a three manner. The only comment I got was not to extend my guide ropes so much. I had them at full length and basically took up another tent pitch either side of me.

Exactly, at Glastonbury people 'usually' ask nicely and it's fair game when there is room for other tents either side rather than extended guide ropes. I've seen the whole cordoning off/taping an area to mark their territory and that is the main thing that gets peoples backs up. I've been to T and V and the clientele were not as nice about asking me to move a guide rope. 

In 2015, my tent was big enough to house a small stage. It was for 2 people. It broke me carrying it in and out. Never again.

Glastonbury is first come, first served. I've never had an issue with people's tent size. Hogging ground with a poorly located gazebo though.....

I can't overstate how far it is to walk carrying a large (and invariably heavy) tent. You'll arrived knackered and hot, sweaty mess. And then have to put the fecking thing up.

It's fine if you can stick it on a trolley.

46 minutes ago, JaiCrispy37 said:

This is the other option

s-l1600.jpg

This looks like a tent with sleeping area, dining room and large porch. Remember you are going to the greatest festival in the world and ideally will spend the minimum possible time in your tent.