If you could curate just ONE stage...

bennyhana22

I've been thinking about this for a while, so thought I'd put it out into the eFests ether. I thought it might be fascinating to see where people's allegiances might lie if they had to nail their colours to the mast of one stage.

So, if you could only curate ONE stage at a Glastonbury:

• Which stage would you curate?
  • Why?

The only 'rule' is that you shouldn't choose a stage you like for, say, its position, and then plan to curate it in a way that is entirely at odds with its character - i.e. you should aim to retain the current spirit of the stage...

For ages I thought I would go for Avalon. I love the stage itself. When all the tent sides are raised up, on a lovely sunny day, you get that combination of feeling outside, whilst still in the intimacy of an enclosed community space. The lighting works in the daytime too, which is nice. The stage is perfectly placed in terms of its position within the festival build, and its history as one of the cornerstone venues resonates with anyone who loves the whole ethos of the festival. It's very close to the Stone Circle and the spiritual heart of Glastonbury. Its line-up is often very much my kind of thing, but with a diversity that means I could indulge my own musical passions and still remain true to how Avalon is perceived.

That's what I was going to go for.

And then I thought some more about: location, musical profile, variety of types of experiences you can have there (i.e. relaxed day stuff compared with full on headliner hugeness) and how I feel when I'm at that stage and I decided that I would choose to curate...

THE PARK

I can programme folk, solo artists, full-on bands, muso leftfield indie stuff, post rock and then even full on techno/electronica stuff like Jon Hopkins etc. I love being at the stage and still being able to see all the colour and movement of the inaudible life down the hill and into the distance. I can see Arcadia spitting whilst I watch music I love etc. So, it's The Park for me.

eFesters...GO!

:)

Ben

• Like 1

I wait weeks for you to post this and you choose the night I'm on my way to a gig and can't do it properly.  Tsk.

I was torn between William's Green and Crows Nest. Ultimately went for Crows Nest as I love the DIY nature of it and had so many great nights there. My issue with William's Green is that although it's a great sized venue, the set up is all wrong. Too wide and not deep enough. IMO, all should be rotated 90° so narrower and deeper.

Hat tip to pussy parlure. Would have chosen that one if it was the old pussy parlure.

Full 4 day fantasy line up for Crows Nest to follow tomorrow.

Not my favourite stage by any means but I'd go for the JP tent. It's a great bridge between the smaller and bigger stages, the odd secret set here or there. I love going to other stages and the park is probably my favourite but my music taste probably isn't consistently out there to fill it up.

My name nearly rhymes with John Peel as well. And I like the shade.

37 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I wait weeks for you to post this and you choose the night I'm on my way to a gig and can't do it properly.  Tsk.

I was torn between William's Green and Crows Nest. Ultimately went for Crows Nest as I love the DIY nature of it and had so many great nights there. My issue with William's Green is that although it's a great sized venue, the set up is all wrong. Too wide and not deep enough. IMO, all should be rotated 90° so narrower and deeper.

Hat tip to pussy parlure. Would have chosen that one if it was the old pussy parlure.

Full 4 day fantasy line up for Crows Nest to follow tomorrow.

Can you make the DJ sets earlier, I'm always too knackered to go in the early morning.

Edited by carlosj
  • Upvote 1

Pyramid for me.  I reckon it'd be the best paying role.  Also I could ensure I get 3 headliners I like.  

Failing that, the Other Stage.  If you are struggling for numbers you could get Catfish and the Bottlemen or Blossoms to play 5 or 6 sets over the weekend and no-one would notice.

Truth stage please! 

Carte blanche to bung on some metal these days, I can work in tandem with the Earache express, and I could steal a few up-for-it bands from the main stages who fancy a secret unannounced bit of down n dirty, and lots of late night sets. All good. 

My headliner (midnight) sets: 

Weezer (Thurs night) 

Gloryhammer (fri night) 

Roni Size (sat) 

Anaal Nathrakh (Sunday) 

id have unannounced sets from Neil Young and IDLES at some point over the weekend too. It would be marvellous. 

Well, I guess I can’t say anything other than the Avalon, but I’ll greedily add the Avalon Cafe, and I’ll curate the beer at the Avalon Inn too. Bliss.

I could easily find the 20 or so bands to fill the schedule, self-indulgently for sure but sticking to the character of the stage, and I may even be generous in allowing Eavis & his band his regular slot in the cafe. I’ll pay him £5 for his efforts.

I'll go for DJ sets in the Stonebridge, Jarvis is obvious, 2 bears, sneak in Tom Waits for a slow weird 2am mix, Iggy Pop, Andrew Wetherall, Lee Scratch Perry, and then bob out the door to see what live acts Ben's putting on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carlosj said:

I'll go for DJ sets in the Stonebridge, Jarvis is obvious, 2 bears, sneak in Tom Waits for a slow weird 2am mix, Iggy Pop, Andrew Wetherall, Lee Scratch Perry, and then bob out the door to see what live acts Ben's putting on.

Sod the Avalon, I’m coming over to yours...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Glade, without doubt. Intimate, tribal and the best soundsystem at the festival.

I'll have a think about my dream curated lineup and come back later...

Right, I've gone for a mix of Glade stalwarts, favourite acts I've seen on the Glade and plain optimism (fuck it, it's my stage)

Glade.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Fuck it I’d do the Pyramid. When the stars align there is no better place on earth to watch an act.

Friday headline - Yeah

Saturday headline - Yeah

Sunday headline - Yeahs

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Right, I've gone for a mix of Glade stalwarts, favourite acts I've seen on the Glade and plain optimism (fuck it, it's my stage)

Glade.png

I would choose the Glade, easily my fave area. Cut Copy, Roosevelt, Satin Jackets and Confidence Man would go down a treat on there. Think Slipmatt deserves a pop on a stage like that as well.