Charity Bins 2019

Greenelk

Having just seen that @Funkyfairy! is painting bins this year, it made me wonder when Dan would be announcing the annual charity bin paint...

Looks like it's already live - Dan's Charity Bin Paint 2019

Thought people might like to get their orders in before the rush!

Edited by Greenelk
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm thinking of getting something like one of these as a planter for in my garden, I'll decorate it myself and it can brighten up the garden a bit for when the sun comes back out.

Do they use old oil drums? Anyone know where would be best to look for one on the internet? I guess I'll start at Ebay.

13 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

I'm thinking of getting something like one of these as a planter for in my garden, I'll decorate it myself and it can brighten up the garden a bit for when the sun comes back out.

Do they use old oil drums? Anyone know where would be best to look for one on the internet? I guess I'll start at Ebay.

You could try Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree too. I got one for free via Gumtree as they just needed to get rid of the things. However, I've seen them on Facebook marketplace recently priced between £10 and £15. I guess supply will depend on how much manufacturing etc is in your area. I lived in birmingham when I got mine and the place is awash with them. If you do see one for £10 or £15 in your area though, I'd offer them £5 less to see if they'll bite. At the end of the day they want rid of the things.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:44 AM, gmb1992 said:

dont forget to show the finished result .... no pressure :) 

On 5/2/2020 at 12:37 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

You could try Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree too. I got one for free via Gumtree as they just needed to get rid of the things. However, I've seen them on Facebook marketplace recently priced between £10 and £15. I guess supply will depend on how much manufacturing etc is in your area. I lived in birmingham when I got mine and the place is awash with them. If you do see one for £10 or £15 in your area though, I'd offer them £5 less to see if they'll bite. At the end of the day they want rid of the things.

I'll check out Facebook Marketplace, I've found one about 20 miles away on Gumtree for £25, might see if lock down settles a bit and go and get that if there are no others.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:54 PM, crazyfool1 said:

dont forget to show the finished result .... no pressure :) 

Hopefully it will look as good as I imagine, I'll be searching through the Glasto bins pictures for inspiration. 

On 5/1/2020 at 10:44 AM, gmb1992 said:

Good luck, sorry I missed this thread . @crazyfool1thanks for the tag. Good luck, and have loads of fun doing it, and hey if it doesn’t work paint over it and try again. 

You can always do little planters as well using old paint tins .

And yes they are old fruit juice / pulp containers. 

I may have to get one myself ... oh to paint on virgin metal and not a crusty bin that’s been outside for a year or two 😂😂😂

8 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

I'll check out Facebook Marketplace, I've found one about 20 miles away on Gumtree for £25, might see if lock down settles a bit and go and get that if there are no others.

Hopefully it will look as good as I imagine, I'll be searching through the Glasto bins pictures for inspiration. 

Personally I'd say that £25 is well over the top for an empty barrel that someone wants rid of anyway. It would pain me to pay £15 for one. Couldn't you offer them £15 and say that you have to take fuel costs in to account, and that you aren't the richest person in the world. Just tell them you are many miles away from where they are. The worst that they can do is say 'No', and that's not going to kill you. 

On 5/4/2020 at 9:46 AM, Funkyfairy! said:

Good luck, sorry I missed this thread . @crazyfool1thanks for the tag. Good luck, and have loads of fun doing it, and hey if it doesn’t work paint over it and try again. 

You can always do little planters as well using old paint tins .

And yes they are old fruit juice / pulp containers. 

I may have to get one myself ... oh to paint on virgin metal and not a crusty bin that’s been outside for a year or two 😂😂😂

Love the paint tin planter idea thanks- and yea exactly if it's rubbish I'll just try again :) 

20 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Personally I'd say that £25 is well over the top for an empty barrel that someone wants rid of anyway. It would pain me to pay £15 for one. Couldn't you offer them £15 and say that you have to take fuel costs in to account, and that you aren't the richest person in the world. Just tell them you are many miles away from where they are. The worst that they can do is say 'No', and that's not going to kill you. 

You're right, I've tried bartering... we'll see 

10 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

Love the paint tin planter idea thanks- and yea exactly if it's rubbish I'll just try again :) 

You're right, I've tried bartering... we'll see 

Are you anywhere near Farnborough. Thjere's a steel oil drum going for £18

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-building-materials/steel-oil-drums-incinerator-barbecue-lid-on-or-off/1371711741

I know that you didn't necessarily want an old oil drum, but if you have several fires in it, it will burn the oil off. Just a thought.