Sharon Van Etten

SwedgeAntilles

3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Tell you what lads, I'll go to the mat for any of her previous albums, I've called Tramp my favourite of this decade a few times before, but the new one just isn't making much of an impact on me. I'm very sad about it.

See I’m the other way around. I listened to the rest of her albums on your advice (and @dentaIpIan too I think) and the new one is head and shoulders above the rest for me .

Maybe I need to give the others more time. 

She was really outstanding tonight, exceeded my already high expectations. I know she plays the same set every night but have her down as a must see at Glastonbury and then will probably get tickets for the Leeds show too. Don't think I could turn down a chance to watch her perform Tarifa, Seventeen and Hands like she did tonight.

48 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

These live reviews got me even more hyped about a week on Thursday than I was already.

Is the set quite new album heavy or is it a mix? (I know I could look up setlist.com but I want to keep the running order a surprise for the night).

Mainly new, a good smattering of old and a surprising (at least to me) cover.

Enjoy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Martini Police said:

+1 for AOTY and SOTY (Seventeen here). Also think this album is her best and can’t wait to see her. Anything but Park headliner for me, a clash with Tame Impala or The Cure would be pretty gutting. Wouldn’t mind an early Pyramid actually, would be a beautiful start to the day. 

Agreement central. 

On 3/25/2019 at 1:56 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

She's good in The OA.  Which has piqued my interest in her music.

I liked her song in an episode of the walking dead a few years ago which piqued my interest - went to see her on the park stage when she was last at Glastonbury and she was okay from what I remember 

Yep, last night was fantastic. 

'Hands' wasn't necessarily a stand out track on the album for me but live it was so powerful. 

'I told you everything' and without spoiling it for those who don't want to know -  the cover, both nearly had me in tears. 

And I HAVE SEEN SERPENTS LIVE. 

Lovely stuff.

She was amazing last night! 

The new stuff really sounds a step up live, cracking. Even the weaker songs on the album sounded mega.

If I was being super picky I would have liked a couple more older songs - enjoyed all the new ones so cerrtainly wouldn't swap any, but another 10 mins wouldn't have hurt.

Decent venue as well (SWX) - not been in there for 20 years or more. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 8:03 AM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Tell you what lads, I'll go to the mat for any of her previous albums, I've called Tramp my favourite of this decade a few times before, but the new one just isn't making much of an impact on me. I'm very sad about it.

Same here. Love the previous albums, really she's one of ma favourite musicians. But I'm not ready to go along with powerful Mum synth Sharon yet. 

Edited by Chawk

1 hour ago, Chawk said:

Same here. Love the previous albums, really she's one of ma favourite musicians. But I'm not ready to go along with powerful Mum synth Sharon yet. 

Her Roundhouse performance was fantastic. From memory she only played guitar on one of the new songs which frees her up to give full rein to her vocal and stage performance. I can't wait to see her again. 

• 2 months later...