Scott walker rip

crocodiles

He started here:

Started writing singles with this, which was already influencing 90s bands of the futures:

Kept doing covers with solo work:

via here:

Started to move towards more experimental music

Before fully embracing the avant garde with this:

and not seeming to mellow with age, with this easy listening album opener from 2012:

Before unexpectedly embracing more melodic, if not exactly gentle music for a film soundtrack:

A proper innovator and original musician.  A genuinely experimental and influential artist - for those who could get through his later work, there were treasure troves in their spades to be found in his records.

I've no idea what kind of mind led to making such music,  but I'll miss him.

• Upvote 2

Mary Anne Hobbs in proper bits on 6Music after playing his birthday clip for Bowie.  Quite hard to listen to.

I knew very little of his stuff, not going to pretend otherwise.  But Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore and Make It Easy on Yourself remain absolutely beautiful tunes that I never get bored of hearing :(