Record Player Problem

Hutchmaster

Hi all, having a bit of a problem with my record player, well one record in particular and hoping someone might have come across this issue before and knows what might be up because it's flabbergasted me and the old man.

Basically, Side A of the record won't play. It won't spin at all, however Side B plays perfectly fine. I tried it on another record player and Side A played perfectly fine, tried other LP's on my record player and they all work perfectly fine. I've managed to get Side A working on my player, but only when putting a portable charger on the middle of the vinyl. Obviously I'm worried this will cause damage to the player/record so would prefer to find out what the actual problem is! Has anyone ever encountered something like this before?

I'm a novice when it comes to record players so sorry in advance if there's a really obvious reason/solution!

Also should add it's an Ion Audio Max LP and the record's FATM - Lungs.

1 hour ago, Johnkhutch said:

Hi all, having a bit of a problem with my record player, well one record in particular and hoping someone might have come across this issue before and knows what might be up because it's flabbergasted me and the old man.

Basically, Side A of the record won't play. It won't spin at all, however Side B plays perfectly fine. I tried it on another record player and Side A played perfectly fine, tried other LP's on my record player and they all work perfectly fine. I've managed to get Side A working on my player, but only when putting a portable charger on the middle of the vinyl. Obviously I'm worried this will cause damage to the player/record so would prefer to find out what the actual problem is! Has anyone ever encountered something like this before?

I'm a novice when it comes to record players so sorry in advance if there's a really obvious reason/solution!

Also should add it's an Ion Audio Max LP and the record's FATM - Lungs.

Is the record warped?

If by "doesn't spin" he means the turntable goes round but the record doesn't, I can't see any explanation other than the disc being warped.

15 minutes ago, LJS said:

If by "doesn't spin" he means the turntable goes round but the record doesn't, I can't see any explanation other than the disc being warped.

if you've got too much weight on the needle and a 'slip-mat' under the record - a slip-mat that actually slips (such as the paper disc that might be on the turntable when you buy it) - then the turntable might spin and the record stay still.

I had this issue once where basically the hole in the middle wasn't punched through properly so a bit of tightness from a piece of plastic stopped it spinning. I solved it by pushing the record down and it kind of popped through into place and would spin, but it's kind of scary doing it. 

Edit- Not plastic- vinyl, or whatever they're made of

Edited by DarthSaul

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:28 PM, DarthSaul said:

I had this issue once where basically the hole in the middle wasn't punched through properly so a bit of tightness from a piece of plastic stopped it spinning. I solved it by pushing the record down and it kind of popped through into place and would spin, but it's kind of scary doing it. 

Edit- Not plastic- vinyl, or whatever they're made of

Gotta be this I would have thought, where it is not quite reaching the turntable, and if there is a slipmat as well then that would increase the chance.

Odd part is that you turn it over and it works ok. Must be a wonky hole as the weight sorts it out and only for that record spindle.

Very weird.

Or the record player is possessed by the dead spirt of someone who hates side A of Lungs. Perhaps they were tortured and killed to it

• 2 weeks later...