2 hours ago, jackarmy said:

Some bonkers predictions in this thread fair play.

exactly. we're talking 4th or 3rd down the Pyramid here, and some crazy thrash band like Slipknot aren't getting that. I even had to google Rival Sons... at least Motorhead had a bit of history to garner their Pyramid slot. 

Only reason we think this is happening is Emily actually mentioned it, right? Did she say 'metal' or 'hard rock', or 'rock slot'?

Raconteurs are my hopeful, but Alice in Chains are only other reasonable assumption I can think of. 

It's not Def Leppard - who would be the perfect band for the spot - because they're "exclusive" elsewhere and if even if not, they'd want to make an impact at a gig like Glastonbury and wouldn't be able to bring their full show with them to sandwich in-between 2 Norway shows scheduled on the Thurs/Sat 

Manics were mentioned, I think (hope) they're opening the Other 

53 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

exactly. we're talking 4th or 3rd down the Pyramid here, and some crazy thrash band like Slipknot aren't getting that. I even had to google Rival Sons... at least Motorhead had a bit of history to garner their Pyramid slot. 

Only reason we think this is happening is Emily actually mentioned it, right? Did she say 'metal' or 'hard rock', or 'rock slot'?

Raconteurs are my hopeful, but Alice in Chains are only other reasonable assumption I can think of. 

It's not Def Leppard - who would be the perfect band for the spot - because they're "exclusive" elsewhere and if even if not, they'd want to make an impact at a gig like Glastonbury and wouldn't be able to bring their full show with them to sandwich in-between 2 Norway shows scheduled on the Thurs/Sat 

Manics were mentioned, I think (hope) they're opening the Other 

Emily called it the 'Metal Slot' which may come back to haunt them, maybe Rock Slot would have left them open to more options. You're right though, it has to be a big name for that time on the Pyramid, much as I like Rival Sons, their crowd when they played The Other was sparse at best. Some of the others mentioned are bands I've not heard of, clearly I'm not the Oracle but as someone who likes rock/metal, if I don't know them, they ain't playing 3rd down on the Pyramid.

2 minutes ago, JaiCrispy37 said:

This is the slot I'm most looking forward too. I want to rock at least once at Glastonbury! How good is the Earache stage? There's loads of up and coming bands around at the minute and I'm hoping to hear some of them on that stage

It's good but tiny. An old tube train with a bit of room for maybe 150 tops to watch from the side. 

3 minutes ago, JaiCrispy37 said:

This is the slot I'm most looking forward too. I want to rock at least once at Glastonbury! How good is the Earache stage? There's loads of up and coming bands around at the minute and I'm hoping to hear some of them on that stage

The earache is a bit niche and tiny. Like you I fancy a wee bit of classic hard rock on one of the main stages. 

14 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Emily called it the 'Metal Slot' which may come back to haunt them, maybe Rock Slot would have left them open to more options. You're right though, it has to be a big name for that time on the Pyramid

I suspect she used the term ‘metal’ in an early 80’s catch-all way, that often referred to any manner of old school rock. Ultimately it’s a high profile slot that’ll have to go to someone who has crossover appeal so that the audience will likely know at least some of the songs

Think that Alice In Chains is a lock. Not quite lock of the week, but if it was a one-off performance then we'd have seen the act listed on the poster, so it must be an act with tickets left to sell. Who else is touring that would need to be held back due to ticket sales? I'm not buying Lynrd Skynrd as that'd be 5 days on the spin for them, plus them being on the poster wouldn't affect ticket sales anyway given their UK leg is over the course of the festival anyway.

I know someone said Greta Van Fleet are ruled out but couldn't they techniqually still play Tinderbox Thurs, Glastonbury Fri Rock Slot?, Lollapalooza Sat, Rock Werchter Sunday. Obviously logistically this makes no sense but it's still potentially a goer right? 

16 minutes ago, foolee said:

I know someone said Greta Van Fleet are ruled out but couldn't they techniqually still play Tinderbox Thurs, Glastonbury Fri Rock Slot?, Lollapalooza Sat, Rock Werchter Sunday. Obviously logistically this makes no sense but it's still potentially a goer right? 

I know they’re inexplicably popular n’all but I really don’t see Glastonbury booking them, especially in such a high profile slot. Halfway down Other? Maybe, but they aren’t gonna play third from top on the Pyramid.

21 minutes ago, foolee said:

You're right... They just messed up on their website saying they're in Denmark on the 28th.
Begrudgingly it's going to be Greta Van Fleet oh well.
If they're subbing Rock Werchter can def see them doing Glasto.

31 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

Metallica secret set

that's a good shout actually given that Bradley Cooper and Lars will be around and they play the week before at Twickenham. maybe its on the bill as 'tba guests' but if that's 3rd down and before George Ezra it would be quite humorous and I'd see Lars and the boys would find it just that as well 

1 minute ago, tevaburger said:

that's a good shout actually given that Bradley Cooper and Lars will be around and they play the week before at Twickenham. maybe its on the bill as 'tba guests' but if that's 3rd down and before George Ezra it would be quite humorous and I'd see Lars and the boys would find it just that as well 

Considering Lars comments about Glasto saying it's a magical place and he's been obsessed with it since they played in 2014- it really isn't outside the realms of possibility....

But it's gonna be Greta Van Fleet who are we kidding

11 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

This would be sweet! 

Given that Metallica haven’t been mentioned a lot here, I assumed they had written themselves out (even though Glasto fits in nicely with their tour dates).

If they haven’t, you like to think they’re a decent option.

This article would have you believe the festival has left a lasting impression on Lars too - https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/glastonbury-metallica-drummer-lars-ulrich-273953