6 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I still reckon it could, and should be, Rival Sons. One of the very few hard rock bands going strong, and better to have something 'new' rather than bands miles passed their best, they are in France early July, and if you want a fix of Zeppelin they provide it in spades:

Enjoyed their Sunday morning set in 2015, I wouldn't object to this.

Have to say I more intrigued about who plays the Earache Express, Carcass and At the Gates are at Boomtown anything of that calibre at Glastonbury would be amazing.

18 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I still reckon it could, and should be, Rival Sons. One of the very few hard rock bands going strong, and better to have something 'new' rather than bands miles passed their best, they are in France early July, and if you want a fix of Zeppelin they provide it in spades:

Saw Rival Sons support Black Sabbath. Very tight. Yes it isnt a new sound, but it isn't the blatent pastiche of Greta van Zep.

22 hours ago, ace56blaa said:

Slipknot (longshot) 

? The thought of Slipknot late afternoon on the Pyramid is hilarious. Can you imagine?

By the by - they're still one of the top 10 bands I've seen live. Not sure if they have quite the energy and urgency of 10+ years ago mind.

I'm hoping they're using the term 'metal' incredibly loosely and it's John Fogerty.

53 minutes ago, jparx said:

? The thought of Slipknot late afternoon on the Pyramid is hilarious. Can you imagine?

By the by - they're still one of the top 10 bands I've seen live. Not sure if they have quite the energy and urgency of 10+ years ago mind.

I'm hoping they're using the term 'metal' incredibly loosely and it's John Fogerty.

It's ok, they definitely do!

I don't get why people are glossing over Alice in Chains as a shoe in for this spot. Them and Iggy are the only two bands who are about and the right size it seems. But AIC have a big tour to sell, so actually have a reason to be held back from announcing.

16 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Some bonkers predictions in this thread fair play.

If they don't book Iggy this year they may as well just ditch the whole slot tbh.

Sadly Iggy isn't happening. Hes playing Trondheim Rocks in Norway on the Saturday. He won't be doing a 2000 mile round trip. ?

11 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Sadly Iggy isn't happening. Hes playing Trondheim Rocks in Norway on the Saturday. He won't be doing a 2000 mile round trip. ?

Damn. Felt sure we would get him this year. Although I suppose if he was gonna be there he'd surely have been on the initial lineup poster. 

Iggy 2020. 

21 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Ooooh this suddenly makes things exciting....who could it be???? I thought he was more or less nailed on 

Sorry to everyone who was excited about it though!!!

On 3/24/2019 at 11:53 AM, ace56blaa said:

So I'm wondering about this so called "metal" slot, 
I wonder if it's still happening and if it is who could it be. 

obviously it's been very losely used over the last few years, Motorhead, ZZ Top and Royal Blood, so it really could be anyone. 

Though might be worth looking to download and hellfest for inspiration as both in june.

HAVE FRIDAY FREE: Def Leppard, Lynrd Skynrd, Smashing Pumpkins, Whitesnake, Slipknot (longshot) Tenacious D, 

NO FRIDAY BUT FREE ON A GLASTO DAY:Kiss, Slash, Tool

RULED OUT: (not counting exclusive elsewhere cause that never matters) Slayer (download is final uk show) Greta Van Fleet (thankgod)

Whatcha ya guys think, who is possible, who is ruled out will this even happen

As unlikely a booking as it would be, Bon Jovi is around and available. As are the Manics, who are supporting.

29 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I know they're not metal, you know they're not metal (but that hasn't stopped the previous choices), how about The Manics?

I was thinking this yesterday when listening to Faster but just assumed they'd been ruled out as I've not heard even a whisper about them.

57 minutes ago, The Nal said:

To to clarify, he's in spain the thursday, so going from the uk on friday would be closer? unless im missing something

Can't think of anyone but Iggy for that slot so surprised he's ruled out. Alice in Chains the front runner so far then?

I remember after Metallica headlined/were announced to headline Bruce Dickinson said he wouldn't go near Glastonbury (as it's all for toffs etc) but Deep Purple & Ozzy iirc said they wouldn't mind playing it. Good chance for Ozzy to do a one off gig without the pressure of a full tour.

3 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

Have to say I more intrigued about who plays the Earache Express, Carcass and At the Gates are at Boomtown anything of that calibre at Glastonbury would be amazing.

Hoping for the Stiff Little Fingers if they have another old punk band on there.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Led Zep started off ripping off old blues acts. You've gotten start somewhere.

1 hour ago, Losing my hair said:

But they didn't try and sound like Robert Johnson. There's a difference between taking inspiration from and imitating.

and a similar effect he had as well on an early Bobby Dylan if you read one of the last chapters of his Chronicles