So I'm wondering about this so called "metal" slot, 
I wonder if it's still happening and if it is who could it be. 

obviously it's been very losely used over the last few years, Motorhead, ZZ Top and Royal Blood, so it really could be anyone. 

Though might be worth looking to download and hellfest for inspiration as both in june.

HAVE FRIDAY FREE: Def Leppard, Lynrd Skynrd, Smashing Pumpkins, Whitesnake, Slipknot (longshot) Tenacious D, 

NO FRIDAY BUT FREE ON A GLASTO DAY:Kiss, Slash, Tool

RULED OUT: (not counting exclusive elsewhere cause that never matters) Slayer (download is final uk show) Greta Van Fleet (thankgod)

Whatcha ya guys think, who is possible, who is ruled out will this even happen

I don't think Kiss would ever play; the money isn't there. 

In chances of probability Lynyrd Skynyrd are in England with the Friday free, but I have a feeling it might be Tenacious D. Although they're not metal! 

Didn't Emily make a comment about it being a 'couple of guys'? Or am I making that up?

Edited by vintagelaureate

1 hour ago, ace56blaa said:

So I'm wondering about this so called "metal" slot, 
I wonder if it's still happening and if it is who could it be. 

obviously it's been very losely used over the last few years, Motorhead, ZZ Top and Royal Blood, so it really could be anyone. 

Though might be worth looking to download and hellfest for inspiration as both in june.

HAVE FRIDAY FREE: Def Leppard, Lynrd Skynrd, Smashing Pumpkins, Whitesnake, Slipknot (longshot) Tenacious D, 

RULED OUT: (not counting exclusive elsewhere cause that never matters) Slayer (download is final uk show) Greta Van Fleet (thankgod)

Whatcha ya guys think, who is possible, who is ruled out will this even happen

Pumpkins are ruled out. Whitesnake, Def Leppard and Slipknot have shows Thursday and Saturday in countries close to one another so I don't think they can be considered (the latter two likely wouldn't accept anyway). Tenacious D are about two weeks after their previous European show so they'll be back in America.

Seems like if it's happening (can't see why it wouldn't seeing as we'd have all discarded the thing if Emily hadn't mentioned) then the best bets are Skynyrd who are in the UK at the time and Iggy Pop who is always about and always missing it. Alice in Chains have been floated as a possibility but that'd be weird without any real mainstream crossover. Still sticking with Iggy Pop, mostly outta hope.

Edited by dentalplan

Id be happy with any of Iggy, Skynyrd or Alice In Chains tbh. Any of those would jump to first on my list of bands to see. 

Maybes being overly optimistic but hoping we get Iggy in that slot then Alice In Chains somewhere else another day. 

40 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Pumpkins are ruled out. Whitesnake, Def Leppard and Slipknot have shows Thursday and Saturday in countries close to one another so I don't think they can be considered (the latter two likely wouldn't accept anyway). Tenacious D are about two weeks after their previous European show so they'll be back in America.

Seems like if it's happening (can't see why it wouldn't seeing as we'd have all discarded the thing if Emily hadn't mentioned) then the best bets are Skynyrd who are in the UK at the time and Iggy Pop who is always about and always missing it. Alice in Chains have been floated as a possibility but that'd be weird without any real mainstream crossover. Still sticking with Iggy Pop, mostly outta hope.

Ah how come pumpkins are ruled out?, if it's because they are a download exclusive, like neil always says that doesnt really matter, and could be the reason they were held back from original poster, unless there's another reason. 
As for Whitesnake Def Leppard and Slipknot probs unlikely but stranger things have happened, 
Iggy and Lynrd are best bets, i think lynrd would be the rarer treat but less hits. Iggy would be great but he tours uk quite a lot would be great if the postpop crew joined him. 

also with tenacious d more festivals and shows could be yet to announce and there tour in us starts end of july so plenty chance they could still be about.  

EDIT; nevermind just seen billy corgans solo dates

Edited by ace56blaa

4 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

It will be as Radio 1 friendly as possible so it'll be some rubbish like Enter Shikari. 

The Earache Stage will provide the real metal. 

earache factory at boomtown has some crazy good acts this yeah, hope we get some of them

1 hour ago, Chinaski_ said:

It will be as Radio 1 friendly as possible so it'll be some rubbish like Enter Shikari. 

The Earache Stage will provide the real metal. 

I think Enter Shikari are great ? Apologies for being a massive heathen, but I would take them over Iggy 

3 hours ago, ace56blaa said:

To be honest, now that the Pumpkins are out, the one name that I really want is Tool (and Aphex Twin)...but I just don't see it. Where would they go? Surely too big for earache and not mainstream enough for the Pyramid. Sigh. 

20 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Its gonna be George Ezra. He's got a guitar innit.

Who cares when IDLES are supposed to be on the park stage around the same time.

That would be a weird clash then. Two heavy acts up against each other? 

39 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

That would be a weird clash then. Two heavy acts up against each other? 

I dunno, someone said IDLES were on at 6 at the park. Might not be a direct clash but it'd be close (unlike the park and the pyramid).

No weirder than having a bunch of dance headliners on the Saturday, or potentially Liam Gallagher and The Courteeners.

3 minutes ago, Celery said:

Pumpkins or Tenacious D would be great. But why so down on GVF?

Greta Van Fleet ?? 

personally speaking, they’re a fairly alright Zep cover band. Nothing special or original at all, but clearly talented and well produced etc.

My issue is with the lead singer, who has the kind of face i’d never tire of punching.