Oasis - were they the biggest band in the UK since the Beatles?

chatty

30 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Adele's sold more records and Robbie Williams played to more people at Knebworth.

It's hard to gauge record sales these days since they include streaming as part of it. How many actual records has Sheeran sold for example? 

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Possibly inludes streams, but this is talking about sales - although a lot of those so be digital.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/adele-overtakes-oasis-to-become-4th-biggest-selling-album-of-all-time__2681/

It seems they're only including sales on that, so fair enough. Although I wouldn't say Adele captured the zeitgeist of the time like Oasis did. That said, I do make her success responsible for all the MOR guff polluting the charts and radio these days. 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Fair enough. I'd argue that sort of stuff has always been in the charts, from Carole King onwards.  On the other hand Oasis's influence has done more than anything to turn rock music into a reactionary parody of itself.

Agreed, their music does nothing for me and is the reason we have had all these "lad bands" in the last decade. But at least they had a bit of attitude and roughness to them. Music is too dominated by and for the middle classes now, Sheeran and Coldplay etc. Bland and inoffensive, nothing that offends Daily Mail readers. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nirvana?

Perhaps. But I don't really remember them though from the time as was too young, but I caught the tail end of their impact and all the post grunge stuff of the mid 90s onwards. 

13 minutes ago, Bennykill said:

The Chilli Peppers have played Knebworth. That dont mean shit lol

Means Blur haven't played there...

Definitely Maybe sold more than Parklife, Morning Glory destroyed The Great Escape and Be Here Now was the fastest selling album of all time for years. The Gallaghers were all over the tabloids for years and still are. They played bigger venues, to more people and have songs that have become ingrained in the national consciousness.

But no, Blur were bigger because that one song they had sold more than that one song Oasis released.

Morning Glory sold more than any individual Queen, Led Zep or Pink Floyd Album album in the UK. Oasis sold more tickets for Knebworth than any of the 3 previously bands mentioned did at any of their gigs. Queen played a bigger but that was free entry.

No one has mentioned Take That yet.

11 hours ago, eastynh said:

At their peak period of Morning Glory and Knebworth, they were the biggest UK band in the UK since the Beatles. They were an absolute phenomenon and there has been nothing like them since. 

This. Two and a half million people applied for tickets for Knebworth. Nearly 5% of the population. They could’ve sold out 18 nights. 

They clearly were. Nobody talks about Led Zep, Queen of Pink Floyd in the way they talk about Oasis. Everyone has a strong opinion on Oasis. People either love them or hate them. 

If they ever get back together again it will be headline news in the U.K. It would be absolutely massive. Who else could do that? 

Fairly standard story for me: I was 15 when Definitely Maybe came out, and everyone in my year at school (bar about 4 or 5 of us) was into happy hardcore and dance music. We were the saps who liked that ‘crappy guitar bollocks’. 

Then we all left school in the summer of 95 and went to college, and they’d all jumped on the bandwagon courtesy of Morning Glory: all these former dance music heads put on some kind of weird pretend Manc accent (this was in East Sussex ??) and bowled around with a bizarre monkey walk while wearing circular Lennon-style sunnies and Ben Sherman shirts! 

Being a contrary and annoying Mr Opposite type, I dropped Oasis when Be Here Now came out, because it was fucking dreadful. Plus everyone liked em now so I sure as shit wasn’t going to.

I was square into art w*nkers Blur, and with the release of their self titled album in early 97 (I think?) I disappeared into all yer lo-fi US indie influences like Pavement, Sonic Youth, etc etc. I viewed Oasis with a distasteful eye, and I still do tbf. If they were playing in my back garden I’d go out for the night. They were a gateway band but I dropped them when they stopped being relevant to me. They sound so lumpen and boring now. Musical porridge. 

• Upvote 1