Oasis - were they the biggest band in the UK since the Beatles?

chatty

12 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

My Bloody Valentine had like 1 really good album and are still a massive favourite for a lot of people who enjoy alt rock. Sometimes all you need is one good solid album. 

if you didn't have The Roses first album id probably say you woudn't have oasis. 

I had the Roses album but didn't like Oasis. I remember all the hype about them and just thought they were some gobby lads with mediocre music that people found easy to sing along to. I do remember them being hyped as the next big thing before I'd even heard any of their music so there is that. 

Always preferred Blur, their music was more interesting to me. This is not a statement of fact but just my personal opinion. 

Just now, H.M.V said:

I had the Roses album but didn't like Oasis. I remember all the hype about them and just thought they were some gobby lads with mediocre music that people found easy to sing along to. I do remember them being hyped as the next big thing before I'd even heard any of their music so there is that. 

Always preferred Blur, their music was more interesting to me. This is not a statement of fact but just my personal opinion. 

Oh what I mean is, if it wasn't for the Stone Roses you probably wouldn't have bands like Oasis coming through.

Didn't mean if you had the album or not, but I agree, I have both the Roses albums and think Oasis are pretty shit.

Edited by Xeph1995

10 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

This presenting personal opinion as personal opinion will never catch on in today’s social media savvy world. I have learned from three years of brexit BBC HYS that It has to be typed in bold block capitals and because that is not emphatic enough the wod FACT has to be added at the end.

8 minutes ago, GMF said:

This presenting personal opinion as personal opinion will never catch on in today’s social media savvy world. I have learned from three years of brexit BBC HYS that It has to be typed in bold block capitals and because that is not emphatic enough the wod FACT has to be added at the end.

Presenting opinion as fast is this place’s raison d’etre.

If they aren't the biggest, they're right up there. 

Nobody can deny the size of them, especially in those first few years.

Because of what they say in interviews, especially Liam, people who aren't into them love to shoot them down. I get that.. to an extent but when you're two albums/years in and you've got more than four percent of the population applying for tickets to Knebworth.. there's not really an argument to be had on how big they were and the cultural movement that came with it.

• Upvote 1

I really can’t hear the Roses’ influence on Oasis at all.

Oasis are the Slade of the 90s, beery arms round your mates shoulders, bellowing choruses, while the Roses are essentially ‘head’ music. The way the Roses reunion was co-opted by people who didn’t get them in their heyday and indeed, in many cases disliked them and their fans, is one of the more curious cultural phonomena of our times.

10 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Completely forgot about Take That, zeesh. Even Oasis would have a hard time putting on a reunion tour more hyped up than when Take That got back together. Don’t remember there being phone lines set up for people to cry into when Oasis broke up either.

I think that's because most Take That fans were teenage girls though, they were a popular boy band but were still nowhere as big as Oasis were in the 90s. 

14 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

I think that's because most Take That fans were teenage girls though, they were a popular boy band but were still nowhere as big as Oasis were in the 90s. 

I'd be wary of writing off Take That's popularity because their demographic was teenage girls, especially when the Beatles are part of the conversation. In the UK they were absolutely massive.

They are absolutely up there. I've always found Queen to be the most apt comparison as they too had the big anthems, big personality and huge crossover appeal.

In terms of quality, as much as music is subjective, their output between releasing their debut single and playing Knebworth 2 years later was, in my opinion, amazing.  The first 2 albums would still be expected to feature regularly in any list of the greatest British albums of all time.  Plus there was a lot of great stuff which never made it on to those albums (Acquiesce, The Masterplan, Whatever etc)

In summary, they has the quality and they had the popularity to lay claim to being the biggest since the Beatles, but 'biggest' is always gonna be a subjective term, as many different factors can be argued when deciding.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, Wooderson said:

Past "Wonderwall", Oasis started mopping up people who didnt usually buy records, go to shows or generally speaking give a shite about music.

They were the Adele of their time.

There's an interview with Noel Gallagher (think its on youtube somewhere) who makes a point of when asked about Oasis hitting it really big and he said 'the squares got involved, and once squares start buying your music you become fucking massive'

21 hours ago, Mardy said:

I really can’t hear the Roses’ influence on Oasis at all.

Oasis are the Slade of the 90s, beery arms round your mates shoulders, bellowing choruses, while the Roses are essentially ‘head’ music. The way the Roses reunion was co-opted by people who didn’t get them in their heyday and indeed, in many cases disliked them and their fans, is one of the more curious cultural phonomena of our times.

I felt The Roses crowds were alright myself. I took my missis to the first night at the Etihad without having to worry about her or owt. Everyone was friendly and pretty relaxed I felt. One lad threw a can into the crowd at the bloke next to him gave him a clip around the ear, he behaved after that. 

11 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I felt The Roses crowds were alright myself. I took my missis to the first night at the Etihad without having to worry about her or owt. Everyone was friendly and pretty relaxed I felt. One lad threw a can into the crowd at the bloke next to him gave him a clip around the ear, he behaved after that. 

There were some colossal dickheads at Finsbury. A couple of coked up tools took a shine to my sister despite me. her husband and our dad being stood with her. A polite declining became a forceful "go away" which became me using the words "just fuck off" at some stage, which they eventually did.

A bit later I saw one of them get smacked in the face by a large guy in the bar queue.

21 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

The Roses crowd at the Etihad were diabolical. I went on the Saturday and it was the most uncomfortable I have ever felt at a gig.

The Heaton Park gigs though were utterly glorious and it was a privilege to experience such a euphoric occasion. So much so that it pushed Knebworth out of my all time top 3 gigs.

Edited by eastynh

5 minutes ago, eastynh said:

People forget about the queues you had to endure to get Oasis tickets. The amount of times I had to stay out all night just to get tickets for gigs, it was unreal. Never seen anything like that in my life.

That was the real test of how badly you wanted to go to something. Kids today with their F5 buttons, don't know they were born...