Oasis - were they the biggest band in the UK since the Beatles?

chatty

26 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's the insistence that one's favourite act is the biggest, best, most influential acts in the world ever that I'm referring to. When the act in question is really quite average and should be evident to anyone with ears that they're not the greatest and anyone with a web browser that they're not the biggest.

It a fun topic and its probably you own bias that bringing you to those conclusions. There may be a few bigger acts but not a whole host of bands hence only a few bands being brought up. Either way they deserve to be included in the conversation. 

No ones asking about whose better, thats an entirely different question that basically relies on your own personal opinion. 

38 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I still buy vinyl. I have a Spotify account for my daily commute and for checking out new stuff but the things I really like I’ll buy a physical copy.

I do have some vinyl which I like more but its expensive to collect and I no longer have the means to soend fifty quid a week on it so my collection is at a mere twenty or so vinyl. 

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You read the topic and still felt the need to come on in and comment. Otherwise it’s rather narcissistic to think that people need to know that you don’t care about something.

How would anyone know how incredibly asinine and unrelated to the festival the topic is if there weren’t comments like the one I posted giving the correct response to the thread title?

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

How would anyone know how incredibly asinine and unrelated to the festival the topic is if there weren’t comments like the one I posted giving the correct response to the thread title?

Its a fun topic that is discussing the cultural impact of bands in the UK, many of who do play the festival and including one person who is sub headlining the festival this year. 

How many politics threads are there that are unrelated to the festival? 

2 minutes ago, chatty said:

Its a fun topic that is discussing the cultural impact of bands in the UK, many of who do play the festival and including one person who is sub headlining the festival this year. 

How many politics threads are there that are unrelated to the festival? 

The only fun being had is people taking the piss out of the subject and @Hugh Jass going pyar Mumsnet on my ass.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

The only fun being had is people taking the piss out of the subject and @Hugh Jass going pyar Mumsnet on my ass.

Not really, most people are having a decent chat about it apart from the usual whingers who go into a meltdown whenever any indie/rock band are mentioned in a positive light. 

Edited by chatty

No they weren't. I was always team Oasis being Northern and despite them being Mancs rather than team Blur.

Looking back now I am 45 not sure they were better than Blur looking back at their back catalogues.

Oasis were massive at the time but past the first two albums there isn't that much happening. 

The calls for them to reunite is so that 45 year old plus beer bellied boys can have a good old lads sing song and try and grab that moment in time again (you never can)  

That said I have fond memories from coming in from a night at Cream and banging Champagne Supernova on repeat until I finally drifted off to sleep. Happy days.

It's  true that any meat and potatoes indie/rock gets short shrift in this place. Just one of those things.

For one or two summers Oasis were culturally mahoosive. The explosion of that mod lad culture thing, the parkas everywhere, the haircuts,  all the rest of it. Whether that's down to the quality of Oasis or the fact that they were the flag bearers for a wider cultural thing is a different subject, but they were the focal point for the whole thing on a way that a single act never was for something like the rave scene.

I was never a die hard fan, and listening to some of it now is a bit chucklesome. Arguably their quality output was 2 albums, maybe 2 and a half. That fact that their album of b sides is arguably better than most of their studio albums says a lot. But I still thoroughly enjoy some of it, and stick on Live Forever or Rock and Roll Star and I'm all over it.

And I like U2. So there.

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

25 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think people could make their own minds up without help.

Screen_Shot_2019-01-17_at_10.10.08_AM.pn

• Upvote 2

Was not expecting that reaction in this thread. FWIW my opinion is no they weren't even as big as The Stones or Led Zeppelin. However they were a massive cult band but didn't last as long as the other aforementioned bands. That being said if they were to reunite it would be one of the biggest music stories in a long time regardless if they are shit these days. 

From late 95 to the release of their third album they probably were the biggest thing since The Beatles in the UK, Be Here Now was intended to make them massive the world over but it never quite happened (due to not being very good or developing their sound). You could say Robbie Williams played more Knebworth shows but the fact that he left Take That, went solo and changed his singing voice and style of music to sound more like Oasis probably gives some idea of the impact they had.  

Edited by addicted2noise

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not in this country they weren’t.

3 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

correct, Oasis supported U2 for just two gigs in Oakland, California, less than a year after Knebworth.

I was there for the second night, June '97 Oakland Coliseum. Here's a bit on them together 

https://www.u2.com/news/title/when-oasis-hit-the-road-with-u2/tours_popmart/

• Upvote 1