Oasis - were they the biggest band in the UK since the Beatles?

chatty

14 minutes ago, chatty said:

Well Freddie Mercury is dead and has been for thirty years, theres no chance of them ever being able to fully reform so a film of his life will do better now. 

Liam and Noel Gallagher are still constantly in the media, touring and giving interviews, you can baaiacally find anything you want from them anytime you wish, you can even directly talk to them on social media and both tour fairly often. 

Its harder to build a film around that and have a wave of people get involved and enjoying the nostalgia. Plus it has a solid story base, buildnuo to live aid, Freddies battles with his sexuality and then an ending because he died tragically young. 

Where would you go with an Oasis one, the end being Liam calking his brother a twat on Twitter? 

If Liam died in some sort of tragic circumstance then yeah, you could probably make a film of it and it would do well in 10/20 years time. I dont think its something you can directly compare. A films a different form of Media than music even if the music attricutes to the film. The films being sold on the personalities and story of the musicians involved, the music isnt necessarily. 

Im pretty sure 50 Cents film was a bigger hit than Nowhere Boy but I dont think many would be keen to argue 50 Cent was bigger than Lennon. 

Nobody went to see BoRhap because of the story, half of it wasn’t even true :lol: Also the remainder of Queen literally never stop touring so the idea that the film took off because people had been starved of a nostalgia hit when it came to them doesn’t hold up.

Fair enough films are a different media so the comparison isn’t always apt but I have a really hard time believing that an Oasis greatest hits collection would ever top the charts in 2039, no matter what happens.

5 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

John Lennon doesn’t get shot, no one gives two ****s about the Beatles...simple as.

...it’s certainly a take.

None of ABBA are dead but their greatest hits is still the second biggest selling album of all time in the U.K., behind only Queen’s (funnily enough).

It’s difficult to compare really, going to gigs and festivals was more of a niche thing in the 1970’s and into the 1980’s compared to the 90’s onwards. Led Zeppelin were huge, but were a lot bigger in the US. I think Zeppelin only played 4 outdoor shows here, all the other shows were in smallish venues (apart from Earls Court, Wembley Arena) etc - as that’s all you had then. No arenas up and down the country. Pink Floyd didn’t play stadiums here until 1988. I saw Queen in ‘82 and ‘84 without much trouble getting tickets, and then when they announced their stadium tour the year after Live Aid, every man and his dog wanted to go. I missed out, but thankfully they later added Knebworth and I got to go there. 

Oasis were different in that they were a working class band that appealed to a massive audience of probably predominantly people much like themselves. Biggest band in the UK since The Beatles? Maybe.

1 minute ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Fortunately for you I assume you’re of an age where you will get to see what happens when they decide to reissue their greatest hits or do another one. I suspect you’ll be wrong.

If they released one this year, only 10 years after their last gigs, it’d probably challenge the Greatest Showman soundtrack for number one spot that week, sure.

If they release one in another 20 years time, having not done anything in the meantime.. it’d still do well but I would not put my mortgage on it becoming the best selling album of all time.

6 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

None of ABBA are dead but their greatest hits is still the second biggest selling album of all time in the U.K., behind only Queen’s (funnily enough).

True, but there are a lot of women of a certain age out there, which also explains the movie Mammia Mia. The sequel is inexplicable however.

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Nobody went to see BoRhap because of the story, half of it wasn’t even true :lol: Also the remainder of Queen literally never stop touring so the idea that the film took off because people had been starved of a nostalgia hit when it came to them doesn’t hold up.

Fair enough films are a different media so the comparison isn’t always apt but I have a really hard time believing that an Oasis greatest hits collection would ever top the charts in 2039, no matter what happens.

...it’s certainly a take.

Queen still tour but its not really Queen is it? My parents went to see them because they like Queen and said they were good but they would have preferred to see them with Freddie in the band. They saw the film as well but theyd go and see Oasis if they reformed as well and probably see a movie about them if it was made. 

Its not the only reason people go to see it but it certainly helps, people seem to have more of affinity for dead  people for some reason. 

ABBA havent played a gig or done anything musically for nearly 40 years, both bands were huge but they benefit a fair bit because they arent churning out albums on a constant basis like the Gallaghers are. 

I do think Oasis could sell well in the UK in twenty years ti.e. Wonderwall was still charting as high as the top 40 in 2013, nearly twenty years after it was released, all it takes is some marketing for whatever reason and theyll get a bump.

If they reform, most if their albuns will probably rechart just on the back of that tbh 

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I still remember launch day for Be Here Now. It was a full blown national event. How many album launches make the evening news?

Yeah, it was utterly mad, people were camping overnight outside HMV to make sure they got a copy. Pretty crazy trying to comprehend something like that happening in todays market. 

Edited by chatty

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This is worse than the Janet Jackson thread. Who were bigger, Bread or The Bay City Rollers? Bros were huge once you know!

Give me strength.

Good point. 

Last thing we want to do is discuss music on a music forum. 

4 minutes ago, chatty said:

Yeah, it was utterly mad, people were camping overnight outside HMV to make sure they got a copy. Pretty crazy trying to comprehend something like that happening in todays market. 

I was one of the first to buy it from HMV at the Fort Shopping Centre in Brum. They gave enormous promo posters to the first few people who turned up. Still got my one of the Rolls Royce at my parents somewhere.

20 minutes ago, chatty said:

They do that for iPhones now. Without sounding like one of those "it was better in my youth" types, I really miss the buzz of going to buy an album on the day of its release in Ourprice/Virgin/HMV/insert applicable. No idea how downloading and streaming ended up replacing it, but it's just not the same. 

6 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

They do that for iPhones now. Without sounding like one of those "it was better in my youth" types, I really miss the buzz of going to buy an album on the day of its release in Ourprice/Virgin/HMV/insert applicable. No idea how downloading and streaming ended up replacing it, but it's just not the same. 

Yeah me too and its weird because basically fir less than a tenner a month I can have pretty much every album ever made ready to listen in seconds which saves me loads cause I used to spend about fifty quid a week on CDs, DVDs etc but I much preferred it as well. 

22 minutes ago, chatty said:

Yeah me too and its weird because basically fir less than a tenner a month I can have pretty much every album ever made ready to listen in seconds which saves me loads cause I used to spend about fifty quid a week on CDs, DVDs etc but I much preferred it as well. 

I still buy vinyl. I have a Spotify account for my daily commute and for checking out new stuff but the things I really like I’ll buy a physical copy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chatty said:

Good point. 

Last thing we want to do is discuss music on a music forum. 

It's the insistence that one's favourite act is the biggest, best, most influential acts in the world ever that I'm referring to. When the act in question is really quite average and should be evident to anyone with ears that they're not the greatest and anyone with a web browser that they're not the biggest.