Oasis - were they the biggest band in the UK since the Beatles?

chatty

on the Zeps suggestion were they really that massive in the UK? I don't think Led Zeppelin had as huge of cultural effect on rock-music buying public in the UK, like they did in the US where today's classic radio stations still have their "Get The Led Out" hour at 5 or 6pm, something that was widely prevalent in the 1980's and into the 90's on mainstream rock stations - In the 80's Led Zep shirts still prevalent everywhere in US even after they'd broken up, and while i lived all my 80's in Britain I never saw Led Zep having that sort of similar constant presence. Led Zep influence was the reason why 'Rawwk'/Metal bands became million-record sellers in the US (like E-Fests faves Ratt) even the UK acts that sold far more records and played bigger venues than they did back on home turf (Ozzy, Def Leppard, Judas Priest, etc..) 

10 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Fairly standard story for me: I was 15 when Definitely Maybe came out, and everyone in my year at school (bar about 4 or 5 of us) was into happy hardcore and dance music. We were the saps who liked that ‘crappy guitar bollocks’. 

Then we all left school in the summer of 95 and went to college, and they’d all jumped on the bandwagon courtesy of Morning Glory: all these former dance music heads put on some kind of weird pretend Manc accent (this was in East Sussex ??) and bowled around with a bizarre monkey walk while wearing circular Lennon-style sunnies and Ben Sherman shirts! 

Ha, sounds like my school life. I used to get laughed at and mocked for liking rock music and guitars, yet those same people were really into Oasis and had all the albums. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Ha, sounds like my school life. I used to get laughed at and mocked for liking rock music and guitars, yet those same people were really into Oasis and had all the albums. 

See I have always found this a strange outlook. In Manchester when I was growing up, you did not have to like one style and disregard another. Everyone chilled to the guitar bands in the day and then raved at night.

Pete Mitchel or Tony the Greek with the indie and alternative and then Stu Allan with the dance stuff straight after on Key 103. Thats how everyone rolled.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Fairly standard story for me: I was 15 when Definitely Maybe came out, and everyone in my year at school (bar about 4 or 5 of us) was into happy hardcore and dance music. We were the saps who liked that ‘crappy guitar bollocks’. 

Then we all left school in the summer of 95 and went to college, and they’d all jumped on the bandwagon courtesy of Morning Glory: all these former dance music heads put on some kind of weird pretend Manc accent (this was in East Sussex ??) and bowled around with a bizarre monkey walk while wearing circular Lennon-style sunnies and Ben Sherman shirts! 

Being a contrary and annoying Mr Opposite type, I dropped Oasis when Be Here Now came out, because it was fucking dreadful. Plus everyone liked em now so I sure as shit wasn’t going to.

I was square into art w*nkers Blur, and with the release of their self titled album in early 97 (I think?) I disappeared into all yer lo-fi US indie influences like Pavement, Sonic Youth, etc etc. I viewed Oasis with a distasteful eye, and I still do tbf. If they were playing in my back garden I’d go out for the night. They were a gateway band but I dropped them when they stopped being relevant to me. They sound so lumpen and boring now. Musical porridge. 

You must be great fun at parties. 

• Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

They clearly were. Nobody talks about Led Zep, Queen of Pink Floyd in the way they talk about Oasis. Everyone has a strong opinion on Oasis. People either love them or hate them

If they ever get back together again it will be headline news in the U.K. It would be absolutely massive. Who else could do that? 

Untrue.  They're ok.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Untrue.  They're ok.

? 

Agree with the post above. You can be into guitar music, electronic music, hip hop and fucking classical if you want. Often find those that don’t like Oasis have some bitter tale about how they were into rock music when everyone wasn’t then Oasis came along and ruined it haha grow up!

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

They clearly were. Nobody talks about Led Zep, Queen of Pink Floyd in the way they talk about Oasis. Everyone has a strong opinion on Oasis. People either love them or hate them. 

If they ever get back together again it will be headline news in the U.K. It would be absolutely massive. Who else could do that? 

I reckon if Freddie Mercury came back from the dead it'd get a bit of news coverage.

2 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Nobody talks about Queen in the way they talk about Oasis.

I'm no great fan of them but this is a strange argument. Bohemian Rhapsody didn't just make almost $900m at the Box Office - $72m in the UK - because people can 'take or leave' Queen. By contrast that Oasis documentary a few years ago passed by without a whimper in most quarters, although obviously it isn't exactly the same thing.

2 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

From memory, somewhere in the region of 20 million people tried to get tickets to Led Zep's reunion show. The upcoming Spice Girls reunion tour was headline news, and any ABBA reunion would be as well. Then there are acts like Floyd and the Bee Gees who can't reform because multiple members of each are dead but it'd be impossible to get tickets to see if they hypothetically did.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

5 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

It’s scary to see if you combine Phil Collins solo and band together he’s close to the very top!

So my point stands then doesn’t it? Except maybe The Spice Girls which fair enough would be big but not as big as Oasis. Don’t be daft. 

Led Zeppelin, Queen and Pink Floyd were big bands and probably had more talented musicians but I can’t accept they were bigger than Oasis especially in the U.K. Oasis are still relevant to kids nar days most of them don’t give a shite about the three listed above. Go and ask them.

39 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I'm no great fan of them but this is a strange argument. Bohemian Rhapsody didn't just make almost $900m at the Box Office - $72m in the UK - because people can 'take or leave' Queen. By contrast that Oasis documentary a few years ago passed by without a whimper in most quarters, although obviously it isn't exactly the same thing.

From memory, somewhere in the region of 20 million people tried to get tickets to Led Zep's reunion show. The upcoming Spice Girls reunion tour was headline news, and any ABBA reunion would be as well. Then there are acts like Floyd and the Bee Gees who can't reform because multiple members of each are dead but it'd be impossible to get tickets to see if they hypothetically did.

20 million people tried worldwide. Led Zeppelin worldwide are another kettle of fish but the argument is the UK. Oasis had 2.5 million people apply for a single location down south from the UK. It was Led Zeppelins first show in years. Oasis had played loads before the Knebworth show and played loads afterwards. If you didn’t want to go to Knebworth you had plenty of other opportunities. Led Zeppelin none. Yet still 2.5 million applied.

Bohemian Rhapsody was a Hollywood film. Supersonic was a documentary. Too completely different things.

From the original posts question, from 95-97 yes. They were absolutely massive. If people took away the merits of the musical output then I’m not sure who you could argue was bigger. Led Zep, Floyd, Spice Girls all included.

41 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

So my point stands then doesn’t it? 

What? No. An Oasis reunion would undoubtedly sell out in a heartbeat, but those gigs would be dominated by Dark Fruits Twitter types, whereas the Spice tour was massive news across almost every adult demographic, as would any reunion of ABBA or the Zep be. Today’s kids would sooner stick on Drake, Little Mix or the Greatest Showman soundtrack than an ultra-gammony band their Dads grew up on, too.

No denying Oasis were the biggest band in the country for five years in the mid-90s, they came along at exactly the right time to bear the fruits of leading a massive musical movement, but will millions upon millions of people flock to see movies based around Oasis’ music 40 years after their heyday, like they did Mammia Mia 2 and Bohemian Rhapsody last year? Not likely.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

What? No. An Oasis reunion would undoubtedly sell out in a heartbeat, but those gigs would be dominated by Dark Fruits Twitter types, whereas the Spice tour was massive news across almost every adult demographic, as would any reunion of ABBA or the Zep be. Today’s kids would sooner stick on Drake, Little Mix or the Greatest Showman soundtrack than an ultra-gammony band their Dads grew up on, too.

No denying Oasis were the biggest band in the country for five years in the mid-90s, they came along at exactly the right time to bear the fruits of leading a massive musical movement, but will millions upon millions of people flock to see movies based around Oasis’ music 40 years after their heyday, like they did Mammia Mia 2 and Bohemian Rhapsody last year? Not likely.

Had Noel or Liam died prematurely and to the upset of the nation, then yes probably.

6 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

What  is a Dark Fruit Twitter type lad? Spice Girls have nostalgic value to people who grew up with them and maybe to younger people who missed out first time. Oasis could reform tomorrow and 60 year olds would be rubbing shoulders with 16 year olds.

Only time will tell if people would watch a Hollywood Oasis film in another 20 years, the story is there already that’s for sure. You’d have to be a fool to pretend you already know the answer to that. 

I work with a lot of school leavers and most of them like Oasis regardless of what else they are into. 

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

What? No. A big budget movie about the Gallaghers would struggle to break even. 

An Oasis reunion would undoubtedly sell out in a heartbeat, but those gigs would be dominated by Dark Fruits Twitter types, whereas the Spice tour was massive news across almost every adult demographic, as would any reunion of ABBA or the Zep be. Today’s kids would sooner stick on Drake, Little Mix or the Greatest Showman soundtrack than an ultra-gammony band their Dads grew up on, too.

No denying Oasis were the biggest band in the country for five years in the mid-90s, but will millions upon millions of people flock to see movies based around Oasis’ music 40 years after their heyday, like they did Mammia Mia 2 and Bohemian Rhapsody last year? Not likely.

Well Freddie Mercury is dead and has been for thirty years, theres no chance of them ever being able to fully reform so a film of his life will do better now. 

Liam and Noel Gallagher are still constantly in the media, touring and giving interviews, you can baaiacally find anything you want from them anytime you wish, you can even directly talk to them on social media and both tour fairly often. 

Its harder to build a film around that and have a wave of people get involved and enjoying the nostalgia. Plus it has a solid story base, buildnuo to live aid, Freddies battles with his sexuality and then an ending because he died tragically young. 

Where would you go with an Oasis one, the end being Liam calking his brother a twat on Twitter? 

If Liam died in some sort of tragic circumstance then yeah, you could probably make a film of it and it would do well in 10/20 years time. I dont think its something you can directly compare. A films a different form of Media than music even if the music attricutes to the film. The films being sold on the personalities and story of the musicians involved, the music isnt necessarily. 

Im pretty sure 50 Cents film was a bigger hit than Nowhere Boy but I dont think many would be keen to argue 50 Cent was bigger than Lennon.