Oasis - were they the biggest band in the UK since the Beatles?

chatty

3 hours ago, chatty said:

What do hou reckon? 

They certainly seemed to be a bit of a game changer, at the time they emerged, onto the scene. They're easy to remember as much as well, now. They approached things differently. Things were very different before they turned up. I remember listening to they're guitar feedback, on live recordings and thinking it was amazing, more than a gimmick. Then, for some obscure reason, they'd continually be accused of stealing Beatles riffs.:sungum:

Edited by stt11
punctuation

Oasis were nothing more than a pub band that got lucky off the back of Brit Pop, a truely hideous period for music.  Whilst I appreciate for some young people it may have seemed refreshing compared to some of the chart rubbish of the 90s, it was cheap pub rock compared to Zep, Sabbath, Purple, Queen, Ramones, Sonic Youth (I could fill a few pages here but won't).  A cultural embarrassment, the 'rock' (I employ the word lightly) equivalent of the Spice Girls or Mel and Kim that was hyped to death by the media.  It was that period's Darkness.  Darkness fans failed to see the group started as a parody, a Spinal Tap for their generation, and actually took them seriously!  They must laugh all the way to the bank.  Ever get the feeling you've been cheated...?

Edited by Pipkins
  • Upvote 1

Answer: No

Biggest has to be linked to sales and they’re in the top 20, but well below the likes of Queen, Zeppelin, Elton, etc

They legitimately have a huge legacy, whether you like them or not, but no more than the likes of the Spice Girls or Status Quo (Both of these selling more than Oasis).

5 hours ago, eastynh said:

At their peak period of Morning Glory and Knebworth, they were the biggest UK band in the UK since the Beatles. They were an absolute phenomenon and there has been nothing like them since. 

I'd agree with easty here. I wrote a fairly lengthy reply to a not dissimilar discussion towards the end of last year which I've linked below cause I'm lazy like Sunday morning. 

7 hours ago, chatty said:

What do hou reckon? 

N O.

Not the biggesst since the Beatles neither for selling records nor for selling out concerts; not ground breaking by creating a genre or blowing people's minds with truely inspired and original music or lyrics.

Their timing was great though: they were at the right place at the right time with a bunch of catchy songs which are undeniably fun to singalong to, ... but that's it, that's their legacy: massive, fun, stadium singalongs.

Given my age it’s got to be Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd. But then favourite bands tend to be those that you were besotted with in your teens. After that your musical tastes tend to broaden. For instance I would listen to nothing but heavy rock such as deep purple sabbath etc in my younger days. Now I am excited about seeing Christine and the queens!  As for oasis, I loved them live.  It’s all subjective. Just keep an open mind on music. 

34 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I was born in 1981 and no band has come close in my lifetime to being the cultural phenomenon that they were. 

Yep. Late 93 to 95/96 was an astonishing time. Hearing Columbia, Live Forever, Rock n Roll Star for the first time were, for me, huge moments. I think people forget how dire the British music scene was if you weren't into dance. 

I still remember when they got their first No1 with Some Might Say and seeing them ToTP. Felt like a real moment. (Fyi, Some Might Say is their best 4 track single; Some Might Say, Talk Tonight, Acquiesce, Headshrinker)

Their cultural impact was certainly helped by the wave of British bands that broke through and Euro 96 creating a whole bigger British cultural moment.

Their musical legacy is limited, their cultural impact huge. 

• Upvote 2

Don't like them, but they were probably the closest thing to we've had Beatlemania. I was a kid when they first came out, so maybe I'm not old enough to fully remember, but they were a phenomena and there hasn't been anything like them since. They're also synonymous with 90s British culture, lad culture, Euro 96 etc. When you think Britain in the 90s you think Oasis. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think too many people are getting hung up on whether they were actually any good, which is irrelevant in this discussion.

I was born in 1981 and no band has come close in my lifetime to being the cultural phenomenon that they were. 

I'm a year or three older than your good self, but if we're going on cultural impact, I'd raise you a Spice Girls.

12 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I'm a year or three older than your good self, but if we're going on cultural impact, I'd raise you a Spice Girls.

The Spice Girls were the pop counterpoints to Oasis. Girl power in response to burgeoning lad culture. I’d say their cultural impacts were largely similar.

You could also make a case for 1D being bigger than any of them.

Edited by Hugh Jass

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Adele's sold more records and Robbie Williams played to more people at Knebworth.

But the game has changed now with sales hasn’t it - and although Williams sold more at Knebworth, Oasis admitted they could have played five or six additional dates demand was so high.

If we talk purely figures, then no Oasis aren’t but as a cultural influence and as one of the last true “rock stars” then yes.