60m long pier to be at the festival

Sawdusty surfer

24 minutes ago, SlipperySeawolf said:

I thought it was a bit of a waste of time and money. They should have had DJ's performing off the side of it all night, with lasers shooting off it across the site. Surely that would not have been particularly difficult to think of?

I see this completely differently .... this year they clearly ran out of time as it wasn't ready for the festival opening ...  lots of projects over run and this one was one of those ... its clearly a massive undertaking building a pier in the middle of a Somerset field and yes they probably got it wrong slightly and some of the things they were planning might not of happened ... but thats not to stop them doing them in the future .... The festival evolves and so will the pier .... we are constantly expecting great things from them and in the main they happen over a period of time .... look at what the spider became after 10 years of evolution .... so for Pangea and the Pier there is plenty still to come which im excited to see .... don't forget to quote me next year if its still the same :) 

8 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Does Cinebananarama get busy in the evenings? I've only been as a daytime looky-loo and didn't make it over this time at all.

it was full for fatboy and I think that was 5000 capacity .. but that was the Thurs so I guess not really representative .... Love the new name :) 

3 hours ago, stuie said:

To be fair, they've both brought brand new but developing (unfinished) ideas to the festival this year.  I think most people were not amazed by either of them. But they are very creative and ballsy for trying these never done before things and good luck to them.

Arcadia Spectacular overtook Mutoid Waste Co years ago (thanks to The Spider) but I hope they both keep doing what they do!

The problem with both of them was... waitferit, waitferit... was that...

They were in a Rush!

I'll get me coat (I'm here all week, try the veal)

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The problem with both of them was... waitferit, waitferit... was that...

They were in a Rush!

I'll get me coat (I'm here all week, try the veal)

Nooooo don't upvote that it's aweful and will just encourage him.

Upvotes BTW

10 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

Well, you see, it's not actually by the seaside.

Well, you see, you truncated quoted me. I was talking about the atmosphere of the pier, which my full post makes clear. Thanks for bringing  the pier’s location to my attention though. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting, in that link in the pilton party thread, eavis says there will be pre erected tents by the pier (blue and white to make it look like the sea) that you can rent. Hope this isn't the start of a trend where prime camping ground is replaced with more pre erected tents

18 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Interesting, in that link in the pilton party thread, eavis says there will be pre erected tents by the pier (blue and white to make it look like the sea) that you can rent. Hope this isn't the start of a trend where prime camping ground is replaced with more pre erected tents

Three or four years ago ME said that one day he would like all tents to be pre erected.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's a bit further over but top of Pennards had Camplight on it for a few years.

Any plans for them to come back do we know? I know a couple of people proper keen on not lugging a tent in and fighting for space but dont want to go down the love fields route again

28 minutes ago, Quark said:

Any plans for them to come back do we know? I know a couple of people proper keen on not lugging a tent in and fighting for space but dont want to go down the love fields route again

Don't believe they'll be back, this 100 blue tents for hire will surely kill off any chance of that.

I Think the lights gone out on them ... and this is the festivals replacement offer ... and a way to top up the coffers too .... 100 doesn't seem like huge numbers if they are laid out in a regimented way but the problem is the growth .... even more reason for taking your tent home to prevent this being the easy option for the festival 

4 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Three or four years ago ME said that one day he would like all tents to be pre erected.

I like this idea, assuming I can send my tent in the post and someone bungs it up in a specific place in a particular field for me, awaiting my arrival! No more queuing for yonks in the ridiculous heat/smashing down with rain ??

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

I like this idea, assuming I can send my tent in the post and someone bungs it up in a specific place in a particular field for me, awaiting my arrival! No more queuing for yonks in the ridiculous heat/smashing down with rain ??

some folks do similar already .... that's why I much prefer it with just two of us and not having to take other peoples tents in with us as the advance party :) 

7 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Much as I enjoyed worthy view and its regimented rows of tents I still love the iconic look of a sea of tents, all sizes and colours haphazardly pitched all over the festival site

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Much as I enjoyed worthy view and its regimented rows of tents I still love the iconic look of a sea of tents, all sizes and colours haphazardly pitched all over the festival site

I took this from the end of the pier (should work, uploaded it for this purpose)... 

Edited by vintagelaureate
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I wouldn't mind that as long as it doesn't mean a massive hike in pricing and there was a way to request being camped near your friends or in a specific area.

The current pre-erected tents seem ridiculously over priced.

25 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I wouldn't mind that as long as it doesn't mean a massive hike in pricing and there was a way to request being camped near your friends or in a specific area.

The current pre-erected tents seem ridiculously over priced.

I presume they would be at least the same price as worthy view, which is why I'm not keen on the idea if it was the first step in an expansion of the idea- essentially you'd end up with the best camping spots being only available for people on higher incomes

9 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I presume they would be at least the same price as worthy view, which is why I'm not keen on the idea if it was the first step in an expansion of the idea- essentially you'd end up with the best camping spots being only available for people on higher incomes

This is somewhat true already in the case of the tipis. Prime real estate right there. 

This wouldn't appeal to me due to the location as I like a quieter campsite. In theory I don't oppose the whole festival switching to pre-erected eventually but I can't really justify spending much more than I already do on my ticket and coach so that would concern me.