60m long pier to be at the festival

Sawdusty surfer

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

Why didn't they just start building it earlier? It should have been open on the Wednesday and Thursday given it's low capacity. As much as I'd love to see it I'm not going to queue for it while the acts are on. Shame.

I think we are lucky very few things that the festival do seem to overrun ... think we can forgive them for this .. I’ve not built a pier yet so not sure how long it takes to do in a field in the middle of Somerset 

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think we are lucky very few things that the festival do seem to overrun ... think we can forgive them for this .. I’ve not built a pier yet so not sure how long it takes to do in a field in the middle of Somerset 

Fair point, I’m going to give it another chance, I’m up that way today so I hope to get in

C61ECCEE-F1EE-46FC-A093-388F9BAE7DEC.jpeg

9 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I get that, but when you say it out loud it sounds like a massive undertaking. Surely it's madness to think that you can build something like that in a few weeks? 

Speaking to some of the crew last night down the se corner.... They said the couple of weeks before the festival building went slower then normal because of very high winds meaning they could only build to a certain level they couldnt do any high up work until the last few days. Apparently even the ribbons on the tower went on late this year due to the same, wonder if that's what impacted the pier. 

Edited by waterfalls21234

I think one problem you’ll have is that if it had a bar, one that could put through big volumes, is that the pier would just turn into an elevated drinking platform - the art / sideshows / etc would get lost in the masses who’d be quite happy to stay up there for an hour or two. And the longer people linger, the slower the churn, the longer the queues.

I saw places at SGP that had good viewpoints and a bar, and music, and they were perma-queued.

At the Pier, I walked straight in on Saturday afternoon, and had room to wander, watch the robots etc. I like it.

Maybe a bar close by would be the compromise? 

• Upvote 1

I didn't make it up to this once the festival started but I strolled past it prefest Monday and everyone was working very hard and fast on it, quite sad that it was a bit of a let down. Such a massive project too, I assume this is a permanent structure?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 7:20 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Well, that was underwhelming.

Piers tend to be, in my experience of them! It was a pier, it was impressive engineering, but at the end of the day I'm not sure what else they could have added to make it transcend its status as a pier. 

I thought it was fine, added some variety to the site, I appreciate the effort they put into it (must have taken a lot of hard work!).  Maybe add some viewing binoculars? To look at the rest of the site?

Was it open at night? I thought it was going to be but the one time I went by at night it was shut. 

My kid paid £2 for a tiny stick of rock. I had to really hold myself back from saying, "You can get five sticks for a pound on Blackpool Pier." Which you can. I love a UK seaside - we always holidayed in classic Yorkshire seaside resorts when I was growing up and I still often visit the seaside. I felt like this pier was a pale imitation. Great view, but, other than that, I'd rather visit a real pier at the seaside, put way too many coins into House of The Dead 98, trying to kill zombies, and then get a bag of doughnuts. A lot of work gone into it and I feel bad saying this...

Visually, it had quite the impact but it wasn't open the twice I went by. My mate went and bought me a stick of rock. She was underwhelmed too. I wanted to love it but I'm not sold on losing prime camping space to it at this point. I've never camped in Pennards so it doesn't affect me personally but I do have concerns about camping being pushed to the outer edge to accommodate stuff. It really has to be worth it. Arcadia has already as good as swallowed Park Home.

9 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

There are those that are saying that The Pier and Cinemarmageddon are Joe Rush trying and failing to keep up with his brother Pip having been 'overtaken' by him with Arcadia.

To be fair, they've both brought brand new but developing (unfinished) ideas to the festival this year.  I think most people were not amazed by either of them. But they are very creative and ballsy for trying these never done before things and good luck to them.

Arcadia Spectacular overtook Mutoid Waste Co years ago (thanks to The Spider) but I hope they both keep doing what they do!