60m long pier to be at the festival

Sawdusty surfer

6 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Of all the installations I have ever seen at the festival this looks the most pointless. I really don't get it. It doesn't add anything. A pier into Pennards eating valuable camping space to give you a view of people having a shit and naked trampolining. 

One man's 'it doesn't add anything' is another man's 'view of people having a shit and naked trampolining'.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Of all the installations I have ever seen at the festival this looks the most pointless. I really don't get it. It doesn't add anything. A pier into Pennards eating valuable camping space to give you a view of people having a shit and naked trampolining. 

maybe there are bits of it that have not been made available for everyone to see yet ?  ... think we should wait and see ive not been disappointed by much the festival have done ( apart from maybe silver hayes ) 

1 hour ago, Diva Sam said:

I'm a structural engineer.
They look like 305x165x40 UKB steel beams with lots of lateral restraints at approx 450mm centres with 10mm fillet welds.
Course it is gonna being taking a lot of people on top of it all day everyday, but its going nowhere.
Its gonna be fine. 

Edit: Oh and the bolt holes look like M20 size. Its gonna be rigid as hell. 

What about a Ground Investigation Survey though? 

1 hour ago, Diva Sam said:

They look like 305x165x40 UKB steel beams with lots of lateral restraints at approx 450mm centres with 10mm fillet welds.
Course it is gonna being taking a lot of people on top of it all day everyday, but its going nowhere.
Its gonna be fine. 

M20? With Brexit looming you better get back in time to learning whitworth! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

M20? With Brexit looming you better get back in time to learning whitworth! 

They’re also a little bit too blasé about lift plans those Structural Engineer sorts - so keen to get cracking with their giant Meccano. 

3 hours ago, Diva Sam said:

Its gonna be fine. 

yeah, i was just going to say that...

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

maybe there are bits of it that have not been made available for everyone to see yet ?  ... think we should wait and see ive not been disappointed by much the festival have done ( apart from maybe silver hayes

This is Gold Hayes....

So much is being added this year with relatively negligible ticket price increase. Amazed by all the negativity regarding a pier that’s not yet built, which if nothing else will mean the other parts of the site that you’re excited about will be slightly less busy as people hang out around the seaside

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jow95 said:

So much is being added this year with relatively negligible ticket price increase. Amazed by all the negativity regarding a pier that’s not yet built, which if nothing else will mean the other parts of the site that you’re excited about will be slightly less busy as people hang out around the seaside

Damn right. We've no idea what this pier is going to be like in reality. I doubt very much it's going to be literally like stepping onto a dilapidated sad old seaside town pier. That's the theme, not what we're actually getting.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Damn right. We've no idea what this pier is going to be like in reality. I doubt very much it's going to be literally like stepping onto a dilapidated sad old seaside town pier. That's the theme, not what we're actually getting.

A cold beer and an ice cream by the seaside sounds perfect to me anyway

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yep - and ultimately, given his track record at the festival, I think that Joe Rush more than deserves the benefit of the doubt.

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2019 at 6:58 PM, Mr.Tease said:

What about if the ground turns to mud?! 

Structural engineer, not a geotechnical engineer so not my problem. ;)

But in all seriousness its problem so big old piles or pad foundations. Bit like football boot studs that tract to the ground. 
The thing ain't moving, don't worry!

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:04 PM, Diva Sam said:

Its gonna be fine. 

I'm not doubting your credentials, but I wont sign it off on it until I've jumped up and down on it (with my boots on).

Then I'll give it the "shes sound"

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bennyboi said:

I'm not doubting your credentials, but I wont sign it off on it until I've jumped up and down on it (with my boots on).

Then I'll give it the "shes sound"

One of my Friends goes around signing off on all the Structures at the festival, works some shifts with us too. I will ensure that big boots are worn and plenty of jumping is done